Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
Python is a lovely language for writing code fast. it is a poo poo language for reading code, crucially reading someone else’s code. if you don’t get that your teammates’ efficiency at reading and debugging your code is orders of magnitude more important than your efficiency at writing it then you are an amateur, and I do not want to bet my oncall shift on your work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

sick, linux got jetsam. there's perf engineers at apple making six fat figgies just having meetings about moving daemons between memory priority bands, now linux people can get in on that grift!

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
wtf are you talking about, it's vitally important that I have snapshots and cow on the immutable ramdisk I boot ephemeral instances from

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

quick googling suggests that no, as of 2019 this was still not possible

imo just use ext4 unless you have some bizarre niche reason to use something more complex in which case you should leave that kind of highly-available filesystem work to an actual storage appliance

"bizzare niche reason" such as resizing filesystems, which is how the OS updaters on "bizarre niche" systems like iOS and many (most?) Android devices on the planet deal with increases in OS image size?

I'm glad you've never had to deal with storage problems, which suggests you're working at a reasonable level of abstraction, but that probably has more to do with there being a team somewhere, whether at your employer or at the vendor whose OS you use, who spend a lot of time to this day working on this "solved problem".

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

AUR packages like awscli-v2

whats the deal with Amazon themselves not packaging awscli? I get not providing Arch packages (no disrespect but it's a bit niche) but they don't even provide debs or RPMs, just a tarball you can unzip into /. packaging is hard and stuff but smaller orgs than AWS manage to either get packages into the big distros or operate their own yum/deb repositories that you can configure. why does Amazon refuse?

that question isn't necessarily for Mr. JPEG specifically but your post made me think about it

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

sb hermit posted:

So, it looks like there's a brand new vulnerability involving pkexec, a set-uid binary for polkit

And the write-up described how gobject was exploited to do this. And I thought ... wait ... what kind of idiot links a setuid program to glib? Well:

ldd /usr/bin/pkexec posted:

<snip>
libresolv.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007fa2801bd000)
<snip>

:ughh:

why on earth does your pkexec(1) link libresolv? Why would it need to do DNS lookups? The pkexec(1) in the Fedora install I have handy doesn't

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
the Qualcomm parts I was evaluating last time I worked at an Android OEM could boot Linux on top of UEFI. you could also still do littlekernel if you wanted to but iirc some SoC features and support were gated on enabling UEFI secure boot. seemed like that was the direction the SoC makers were pushing everyone.

unfortunately whether or not it’s UEFI has nothing to do with whether Qualcomm will keep the BSP updated or whether the OEM will ship the software updates past 2-3 years

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
imagine thinking that checking GPG signatures over sha1 hashes is a good way to verify the integrity of anything whatsoever

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
they made the right call there. using sha256 wouldn't suddenly turn git into an immutable and authenticated log. software supply chain is a vastly harder problem than that.

edit :synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

spankmeister posted:

all rhel releases are old if you think about it

red hat elderly linux