Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I've had games loving up but can say hitting "cancel" in steam almost always closes it; otherwise you can (need) to trace all the processes proton is spawning to kill it properly with just 'kill'. Grepping for the game isn't enough, its usually like 5 or 6 processes to low, same with wine though usually wine is enough for steam to reap the rest of the processes :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Maybe you just need to read the 15 man pages again, cron has been a rock solid platform since Jared Bedwetter wrote it for UNIX 1.3 in 1964

:smuggo:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Love to reinvent the wheel for 5 decades janitoring my cron jobs just to get notified my yospos archiver is a piece of poo poo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why would you own a printer just go to the library

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You can usually print at UPS or FedEx too, or your local postal annex. I have to print like 3 things a year, used do it at work before full time remote, totally not worth a $300 printer and paying for a new ink cartridge basically every time I'd have to print because somehow they dry up in like 48 hours

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Finally I can stop using find. Throw it on the pile with cron

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

The joke is that [find is considered] perfectly good software

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Progressive JPEG posted:

been using rg for a couple years now and it's good, for what i use it for its effectively interchangeable with grep

id say the biggest functional difference for me is its gitignore-aware by default, so you aren't constantly waiting for it to finish scanning through your build artifacts

also the output appearance is better than stock grep

I would simply find . -type f -iname "*.c" | xargs grep ”butts" op, its worked for 80 years and just rolls off the tongue

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
We still use use CVS, its been working great, why would we change? :agesilaus:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Nvidia is still utterly broken on wayland

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its marginally better each new fedora but still unusable

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tazjin posted:

DynamicUser enables a bunch of useful sandboxing primitives as well as enforcing some conventions (which I think is a good idea, people need to get over the idea that their beautiful application is a special snowflake that has magical runtime requirements). You could set them all up manually, yes, but it's nice to have a convenient shortcut sometimes.

This is all clearly intended to work neatly with transient services, but in practice the implementation is just a liiittle bit wonky in the right places so that using it properly becomes really hard.

Yes, you can (and we do), iff the service supports that.

If you're deploying a third-party thing in this way (which is probably where you'd especially like the additional stringency), and it doesn't, it becomes much harder and you need to use LoadCredential= (like this) and then somehow thread in the runtime-only envvar that contains the secret path to load stuff from the right place.

When you do that is exactly when you start running into all the weird poo poo, for example only some Exec* phases get access to this (and if you wanna figure out which ones you have to basically translate five sections of the man page into prolog and solve for it), you can't interpolate it in the unit etc. etc.

Some of those are fixable and are in fact being fixed after reporting it, but it's just that every fancy (and fundamentally interesting!) feature of systemd has this kind of wonkiness to it.

You got me reading the man page

Lmaooooo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tazjin posted:

another bullshit systemd thing:

> Notice: journal has been rotated since unit was started, output may be incomplete.

a.k.a "if your service runs too long without crashing (how dare you!), you now have to use a different command to get the most recent logs because we haven't figured out how to open files correctly yet"

Love 2 load 10 years of logs anytime I want to check something.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

the solution is simple, op. just don't log anything, because who needs logging anyway if you're just gonna restart something when it's misbehaving.

This but unironically

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Jokes on you I only run systemd there was nothing to steal to begin with, it was all a honeypot to expose the old codgers

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Sounds like your problem is nvidia op

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah that is pretty much it lol, i saw there's some way to insert 2.4 modules into modern kernels so i figured perhaps, but i don't know enough about the linux kernel to be sure

oh well

I think it'll probably not work due to kernel changes but you could try creating a DKMS build for it?

https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/nvidia-utils/trunk/PKGBUILD

I forget how module / kernel versioning works can't you (try to) load an arbitrary module into it without it being explicitly built for the running kernel? Its been so long since I've had that problem and haven't had the source

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

thanks, i hate it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Lets hope we never catch up to 8, 10 or 11

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FlapYoJacks posted:

He's a 1099 and I am VERY close to telling my boss this guy needs to go. His first PR was awful as well.

Ticket: We have some faults that need to be persistent across reboots.
Obvious solution: Store the faults that should be persistent in the settings database, read them on boot, and go into the fault state if there are any faults in the list.
His solution: Make a separate file per fault and save them in /data/faults/, then read them in on boot, then go into the fault state if there are any faults in the directory.

How do people like this exist?
:psyduck:

Without anymore context beyond "system administration" this seems reasonable? Was he aware there is a settings database? Having never touched an embedded system, do people actually run databases on them?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SamDabbers posted:

Looks like your code review process is working

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
postin from a linux!! or as I like to call it, gnu plus linux

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

nudgenudgetilt posted:

kde notifications are bullshit, stacking up having to be manually dismissed (yeah, you can dig deep into your config to avoid this, but it's a pain in the rear end)
kde's pim is bullshit. the calendar and contacts apps are some of the ugliest interfaces i've ever seen. kmail is ever so slightly better but still ugly as gently caress
the last time i used kde (12, 18 months ago?), it still crammed a chat presense indicator into the taskbar. you know, for all those people still using telepathy and the many protocols it supports
the last time i used kde it still had a broken ui for adding twitter accounts. said ui has been nonfunctional for *years* but never removed

kdeconnect is cool... but even cooler when I use it with gsconnect in gnome.

How are those thumbnails in gnome land :tipshat:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also lol using your desktops email / contact apps, especially with o365, everything is tailor made for the browser these days. Use Thunderbird if you need a desktop app

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

nudgenudgetilt posted:

seem fine to me? were they broken at some point?

Its implementation has wavered from nonexistent to middling for over two decades, I guess its a little improved with the tiny thumbnails but even a couple years ago (last time i used gnome) it straight up had zero icon support for it.

https://jayfax.neocities.org/mediocrity/gnome-has-no-thumbnails-in-the-file-picker.html

This came up in a search and is amusing because neocities still exists and is actively being used (this blog is dated 2021), excuse the anime. Also has some interesting history on the topic.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a good ELI5 article on why wayland is so much better and so difficult to implement thats its been going for like a decade? I dont know anything about desktop compositors but it blows my mind its been such a long and rocky road for wayland.

Ive seen a few here and there but they tend to get to deep in the weeds

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

sb hermit posted:

I use k9mail. Maybe I should give it a shot.

Who exactly are you emailing that also uses gpg

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm pretty convinced gnu/fsf is malignant at this point do they make anything genuinely good?

I think GnuCash is maybe the only thing and I dunno if I'd call it good.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Wait its just abstractions all the way down?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I was actually setting up yuzu the other say and apparently they have and still do steal code from the other switch emulator https://ryujinx.org very not cool, the poster provided a bunch of sources I can dig it up for the curious.

That said i had already setup yuzu when i read that and since its more popular, anyone successfully use it via steam link?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The_Franz posted:

yeah, but archive getting shut down because they want to host current-gen warez would honestly suck as there is a lot of stuff that would otherwise be totally lost were it not for them

I doubt they would be at risk for the whole thing being taken down, likely they have a copyright form or something and just take down stuff automatically (e.g. the :filez:), very likely just a problem of volume and not malicious intent and it would be hard for anyone to argue that in court.

Tankakern posted:

finally someone stepped up and started working on tearing updates for wayland, in other words being able to turn off vsync on wayland so you'll get the least amount of output lag when gaming

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/65

isn't that about the only thing that is left to make wayland an actual contender for :pcgaming:

Even after finally getting an AMD GPU it still isn't great under KDE. It's usable and I could probably fully switch but :effort: I'll just wait for the next release of fedora to hopefully iron it out.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 30, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tankakern posted:

another unionfs?

and it looks like someone has used years in making this

an impossible difficult and large project for one person, with good docs, implementing something that has been implemented a dozen times before

all that effort

like tears in the rain

Actually its real good, been using it and snapraid for years :cheers:

I'm also using Fedora but when I set it up containers where a pain on most server OSs, at this point you're probably better off throwing it on Debian or CentOS or Rocky. This'll be the third? time this year a kernel update made me waste a day trying to figure out wtf happened to my server (its always nfs)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Hey it beats paying for an ad riddled OS

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Finally, its the year of wayland on the linux desktop

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anyone using kde on fedora 37? Does wayland work better now (AMD)?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Updated to f37 and it looks like wayland is finally usable on kde/amd??? Haven't noticed any issues when on 36 (last time i checked anyway) i would get weird micro freezes and stuttering periodically, i forget what exactly but it was annoying.

Gotta say it was nice logging in and not have everything flickering into place, triple monitor setup.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I was enjoying wayland but went back to X cause steam link streaming doesnt work on Wayland.

I tried sunlight a while back and it was off-putting for somereason, might have to revisit.

Irritatingly its just the steam app that doesnt work, if you launch a game it'll pick it up. Good luck picking a game with a black screen!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
There is a big open ticket about it it seems to affect most / all desktops, idk. The workaroubds didnt work for me on F37 + kde

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/6148

Didn't gently caress with it to much cause, regrettably X works and I dont wanna janitor my computer more than necessary.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

akadajet posted:

meson don’t know what that is, anni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How long is a nixos release supported, till the next one or months or years?

My server is currently Fedora which was useful at the time but now its a bit annoying how fast it updates, was probably gonna throw rocky or bsd on it but nix has always sounded cool