Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

almost nobody except Europe. And probably the rest of the world that isn't US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Barnyard Protein posted:

is there just a single book that i can read that will tell me everything i need to know about the best linux? also what is the best linux. seems like its fedora for the desktop and rhel for the non-desktop.

go with ubuntu for desktop, any question you have just add +ubuntu and google it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I use Xubuntu, unironically

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

stallman only cares about a foot if there is some toe jam to pick out of it

disgusting

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Soricidus posted:

wouldn't be "free" enough for linux, they'd just stop shipping your code at all

the best you could do would be whatever firefox did that made debian pull their ridiculous iceweasel poo poo

yeah it was exactly that. debian included firefox but without using the mozilla logos or something.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

because the half life story and universe is not particularly interesting. half life is only notable because with each release, it advances gaming considerably.

a half life that does not revolutionize video games is not a half life game, it's just a game with a science nerd named milton friedman hitting things.

they still need a game to market their VR goggles. a dumb ole FPS might just be the thing

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I remember buying a SuSE distro with 5 cds and a big manual. That app were the eyes follow your mouse pointer really mesmerized me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Last Chance posted:

linux mint is poo poo. u cant polish a turd like linux

no it's cool, you're wrong.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Lysidas posted:

bing thunderbird kubuntu

smdh

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Apocadall posted:

looking for a linux for personal use, want a middle ground between arch "gently caress you do it yourself" and ubuntu "lol i want be mac" bullshit. debian maybe?

for desktop use ubuntu has more up-to-date packages than debian, that's not even considering the developer ppa's for more up-to-date stuff. It's more convenient. idk if you care about that or what you're using it for

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

linux on the desktop is a terrible user experience. it even faIls to provide a decent experience for developers such as myself who literally only run a browser and a terminal.

the average person uses a browser and sometimes office. In that context, I don't know what would make Linux GUIs worse than Mac or Win. You click on the icon, boom, the browser. Then you click on the other icon, boom, Office.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

then you don't loving know anything about user interfaces and are the reason linux interfaces suck, and you should shut the gently caress up.

"LOL IT"S NOT HARD YOU JUST NEED A BUTTON BOOM"

get the gently caress outa here

Ok great

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Smythe posted:

Not really tho. poo poo like the open file gump being hosed up linux poo poo stymie normalfags hard. I've had better luck with kde for every Tom dick and Harry but it still sucks and you need to cj the user a lot.

I'm saying that people rarely leave the browser nowadays, so OS dependent GUI idiosyncrasies matter less and less. Is what I'm saying.

e: apologies accepted.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

e: not gonna lie, this is going to be much less interesting if it turns out to be a sec fuckup.

ah poo poo hadn't thought of that. was about to post the popcorn emoji

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

The_Franz posted:

steam has hidpi issues on every platform

steam and itunes are probably the apps I hate the most. they both share a bloated feel, and interacting feels like wading through mud

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

kde is fugly klunky poo poo, how can anyone seriously defend it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

mu4e is nice, if you're already using emacs.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

for some reason I thought vim was originally an editor for the amiga? maybe vim as opposed to vi premiered on the amiga, dunno

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Celexi posted:

anyone using mint should not be allowed to use a computer and the creators of that monster sent to gitmo

what's so bad about it?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

I have "fond" memories of trying to figure out the right xfree86 modeline so my trinitron would do something other than 640x480

"those" were the "days"

lol yeah that was cool. Suse for the win!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

go with a hardware setup that works, idk wtf you're doing to run into those problems.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

eschaton posted:

so does this mean gnome is pivoting from having tablet apps as its primary target to having webcloud apps as its primary target?

the year of the desktop cloud?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

currently upgrading to 16.04 on my 2004 laptop. everything going fine so far. I mean it's still upgrading.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Wheany posted:

downloading a ubuntu iso:
PLEASE DONATE MONEY TO US PLEASE PLEASE

SELECT HERE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY TO DONATE

just download :siren::siren:>>>GO TO PAYPAL TO DONATE<<<:siren::siren:

downloading fedora:

click here to start the download

if people would re-skin fedora with some anime desktop, you'd see the same thing

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

oh ok, I thought this was about Elementary. Didn't know Ubuntu.com itself pulls that trick. SAD!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=fedora+anime&tbs=imgo:1&gws_rd=cr&ei=hJgkV8HUA8v_Uu-Nn-gN

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

after a suspend/resume, my gnome screen on bunters 16.04 goes blank after 15 seconds of inactivity

saw the same exact thing on a diff machine running 15.10

going by this bug it appears likely that gnome has a bug where it thinks its still displaying that godawful curtain lockscreen garbage

you know, that thing thats hated by everyone with the gift of sight

dsyp

ah yeah, I remember a similar bug. Where it would wake up from sleep, but then the screen stays black or some poo poo. Don't know what I did to remove it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

blowfish posted:

install a better user interface and/or operating system

nah it's for an old laptop and it works fine now.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

is there a scenario where bsd is the superior choice to linux? also what bsd and why

e: net, open, or free; not os x

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

BobHoward posted:

the best thing about that dailywtf is that enlightenment fanboys showed up in the comments and when they got in over their heads they sent out the bat signal and good old rasterman himself showed up

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/242

grep -ri "you bitch"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I liked Mac OS 9 Classic. It was grey, didn't bombard you with lollipop icons and rainbow colors, and let you do your job*.

* ok it was usually a windows 98 level POS when I worked with it. but still, the design.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/730429298608209921

from the currently ongoing google-oracle trial

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Lysidas posted:

as horrible as it sounds, the issue that kind of kept me from using arch was that the fonts dont look quite right

i unironically like the ubuntu font, it looks realy good in terminal windows under kubuntu, but even with the same font package installed in arch, nothing looks quite the same and it's surprisingly jarring, i have been using kubuntu for a little over 6 years and thats a lot of time to get used to very small things, to the degree that in a arch install i get the feeling of "everything looks slightly wrong somehow"

and the main thing that was going to push me to arch instead of kubuntu 16.04 was the window manager (plasma desktop) crashing every single time i hotplugged or hotunplugged a external monitor, and that no longer occurs, so eh

i could post a side-by-side font rendering screenshot for comparison but that will take a lot more effort than i am willing to put toward an arch install in a VM at the moment

yeah I recently looked at debian, fedora, and ubuntu, and whatever ubuntu does with fonts looked way better than the other two.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Linux on the desktop: well yeah

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

eschaton posted:

my first UNIX was AT&T System V Release 3.2 on an AT&T 3B2 accessed via dialup

my second was MINIX 1.5 on the Mac

both of these were before either 386BSD or Linux existed

you win at yospos

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I tried Fedora and Ubuntu Gnome a couple of days ago. First Fedora, fonts looked ugly af, so installed Infinality. During setup, the whole system crashed hard. Couldn't switch console, or shut down X. Rebooted. Found out that it somehow hosed with the UEFI partition, so booting Windows was out of the question. Luckily the Windows install disc fixed it.
Removed that POS immediately, and installed Ubuntu Gnome. Really nice, but a bit slow. Inconsistend fonts across applications. But otherwise cool. But still slow. Went back to Windows, and it feels like a hardware upgrade. Thank you, Linux.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Tankakern posted:

this isn't the case anymore, amd actually has good open sourced drivers for new cards now, and fglrx is a thing of the past (morphed into amdgpu-pro, which is a combination of open source and closed source)

I had random screen flickers with a new install two weeks ago. I googled and it is a thing, but gently caress it back to Windows and VMs.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

cadenza posted:

i installed ubuntu 16 to try today and i think its neat and user friendly :)

yeah ubunut-likes are pretty cool, whatever the alpha nerds in here say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Fedora is the same pile of garbage, but with different bugs

source: installed both of these shits

ps: crunchbang++ is a cool solution if you want a desktop-ready debian with some nice features.