Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

so wait, why are people saying openbsd is a good secure os - is it because it can not get owned if nobody is running it? or what's the real use case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

he does a lot of stuff, which mostly revolves around linux as a project, and git was arguably one of those things. it's not like he hasn't been doing any work for the last couple decades, he's still reviewing patches (and being a huge jerk about it sometimes), cutting releases, and herding cats

if you want to call out grifters in tech there are plenty of way better (and better paid) examples

not sure i would call the maintainer of *checks notes* probably one of the most used pieces of software a grifter unless i for some reason think that all linus does is write "git merge" a lot

by that i mean the original post is hopefully copied from hn or something

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i think i stopped using chrome seriously at the point where it required me to sign in to the browser so i could sync my music to my anroid with the app - the app sucked anways but even then it kept trying to make me sign in to the browser and sync

to me this is nothing else but google trying to gotcha the users into giving them all their data at the first misclick or well-intended log-in somewhere

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

The_Franz posted:

that's been slowly happening since the turn of the century regardless of systemd

i wonder what os runs in apple hardware...

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

what's the correct opinion to have on Vagrant? it's basically a command line tool for booting up VMs so you would still be using virtualbox or some other platform, but i have found it to be much more convenient (for setup-teardown of throwaway environments) than messing with virtualbox on its own

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it's because you don't need sound in space

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i used WSL for tail (which had problems refreshing itself when -f) and less, because we were stuck on windows working with csv files. anything more compute intensive was possible to do, but uncomfortable as hell

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Tankakern posted:

since i couldnt find anyone actually saying it out loud (just linked to phoronix): there will be upstream support for amd freesync in linux 5.0 (not only in amdvlk), making it more true than ever that only idiots chooses nvidia on linux

sorry if im kicking in open barn doors here, maybe i didn't scroll far enough

what about all this new fangled training neural networks on gpus? i was under the impression linux + some nvidia tesla or whatever is the thing to use (and cuda of course)

this is probably not related to desktop linux at all because you are running this stuff on a docker container somewhere on a specially set up system which is not for playing the latest shootmans or something

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

that's called a bistro, originally a working class linux developed primarily in parisan basements

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

this excellent pronounciation is unfortunately not good for an office environment but ill remember it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

has anyone said "red hat chili peppers" yet