Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wheany posted:

Has anyone made a linux text editor that works normally, ie ctrl-s is save, ctrl-c is copy, ctrl-v is paste, ctrl-z is undo and so on?

I think gedit works like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Soricidus posted:

fat already exists tho?

:perfect:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

celeron 300a posted:

man
man make
man cat
touch
touch me
make mrproper

finger me

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What DE do people in this thread like, and why? I've been meaning to migrate from my ancient Ubuntu install to Fedora, and I'm trying to decide which spin to use.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Blue Train posted:

I like gnome but drat theyre making it hard to

Yeah I see a lot of people complain about gnome, but I also see people complain about pretty much all of the popular DEs so it's hard to tell what is actually bad and what is just a result of people declaring that everything is terrible. I was looking at KDE because the customizability sounds kind of neat, but I think people tend to not like KDE for some reason that I'm not entirely clear on.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mekkanare posted:

i3 is nice if you don't want to use a mouse, whether it's your preference or not.

Yeah I've been looking at WMs a little too, but I guess I don't really get them. What made you pick i3 over awesome or xmonad? Also, how does stuff like browsing the internet work in a WM? Like you can use a mouse for that, right?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks guys, the DE advice definitely gives me a jumping off point. I'll check out some of the options listed--I suppose one of the nice things about linux is how easy it is to swap out things like the DE.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I like KDE5 because it is really pretty :swoon:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

kalstrams posted:

i have but im not sure if i will get special snowflake linux software working on it

Absolutely do not try to do physics on a Windows machine, nothing will work and you will regret it. Ubuntu is also pretty annoying for scientific stuff because often you will want some up-to-date library but Ubuntu will be stuck with something from 2010, so you'll have to install from source. I would honestly go with Fedora--it shouldn't really be any slower than any other Linux, so the slowness was probably your VM (or your DE). It'll be up to date and secure, and RHEL linuxes are pretty professional feeling. Arch is nice too, but I wouldn't put it on a work laptop because stuff will break and if it happens while you are on a tight deadline you are boned unless you are real good at diagnosing and fixing Linux stuff real quick.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought everyone in physics was using a mac these days

This is mostly true in my experience (and I use a Mac too), but Apple keeps doing things which make life harder for physicists so people are maybe starting to move away from OSX. The SIP stuff with El Capitan in particular broke a ton of physics software and made everyone mad.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

why does your physics software conflict with not dicking with system binaries

how

IIRC it was mostly not allowing stuff to access LD_LIBRARY_PATH (if that wasn't technically part of SIP then my bad).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

nobody should need to override DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH et al in normal use, only during development

IDK but apparently every piece of physics software uses it during normal use.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2016

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its all garbage written by math profs. its never gonna work outside their personal machine they haven't updated in 20 years.

Nah, for me at least most of this stuff was written by NASA and is intended to be used on a variety of unix systems both old and modern.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I should have said "used it during normal use", since it's pretty much all fixed now. Also don't read my posts as an indictment of Apple or anything--I'm just talking about what went on in the physics world and giving an example of why some physicists were unhappy with Apple (even if that anger was arguably misplaced). Stuff like breaking a bunch of physics programs--even if those programs used bad practices--has some physicists leaning towards moving away from OSX and back to Linux, which is what started this whole discussion.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shaggar posted:

nasa is largely math profs running 20-30 year old software/hardware

No, it's not.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

i would but im still waiting for yum to finish

Fedora is dnf now get with the times

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

kalstrams posted:

finally a free-ish evening to install fedora. remembering last post where i asked about desktop environments, gnome/derivatives were a no go, so thinking about kde plasma spin, c/d?

I personally really like KDE 5. You'll hear mixed opinions about it online usually citing it's "sluggishness", but I didn't have any issues with it on my 5-year-old desktop. People seem to like Gnome 2/3 as well. IMO don't use a "light" DE unless you are on an ancient computer that can't handle anything else.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Olivil posted:

can we all agree zsh is the best sh

Seconded

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(nobody actually uses ubuntu though so this matters approximately never)

Wait what? In my experience Ubuntu is far and away the most popular linux

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

get a real job, i guess?

centos/rhel dominates the united states and much of the rest of the world

sles owns europe

ubuntu is an also-ran that attracts a few weird startups and that's it

Oh yeah I meant outside of the business world. The people I know who run LOTD (or LOTL) mostly run Ubuntu.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Also I too have that post bookmarked to try to convince people to use a different distro, but no one ever listens to me =(

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

My home desktop runs arch with zsh, KDE, and an anime wallpaper (it rotates through this pack). I'm pretty happy with it even if I am a walking stereotype.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks. I'm pretty seriously considering Fedora for my next desktop distro. I really like pacman, and how extremely bleeding edge arch is, but SELinux seems pretty neato too.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

arch has a very nice wiki

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

hifi posted:

did they have a lawyer say what ubuntu doing was bad? this is just on ym fedora rig so i don't think there's any way i can do something illegal

It's not illegal to do it yourself--it's just potentially a license violation to distribute Linux and ZFS together. Canonical doesn't give a poo poo though because they are headquartered in the Isle of Mann so they are harder to sue (as far as I understand it).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

"its" being the only possessive without an apostrophe is really stupid. Both the contraction for "it is" and the possessive of "it" should be "it's", and context can tell them apart. Whoever came up with that rule was a dingus

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

on mir they just used pencils

Just wanted to say I appreciated this post

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wrote a systemd service unit today and it was cool and good

that is all

Neat.

What did it do?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ext4eva

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I responded to this post in the PL thread in case people want to take the discussion there, since it seems more on topic in that thread than this one:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

zsh is pretty needs suiting

Yeah but fish is the new hipste

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

God I can never remember the difference between [ and [[

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

^fff^ uck .me !!! that is a lot of operators

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Tankakern posted:

new systemd out, it has some new stuff to keep you from cluttering your /etc/passwd

Dynamic Users with systemd

Very cool

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I mean, most of the distributions out there come with python pre-installed. Even loving RHEL does.

There is no reason not to write your script in python if you need a script that doesn't involve repetitive bash commands (then just use bash).

Yeah but most distributions use python 2, like suckers

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I sometimes wonder, if I set my username to "firstname lastname", how much stuff would break because my home directory now has a space in it?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Remember that time Valve used a large shell script and accidentally ran rm -rf / on a bunch of customers' computers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

Fucken lol

That could happen just as easily in any language though, nothing shell specific about it

Sure it could happen in any language, but it's a lot easier to make a mistake like that in shell scripts because of their unintuitive quoting rules and the way that they keep going by default instead of stopping when running into things which should be an error.

It's good that people are starting to wise up to things like shellcheck (to enforce good quoting) and set -euo pipefail, but it'd be even better if they just switched to a more reasonable language for anything that can't fit in a single find / grep / sed / awk / xargs pipeline.