Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

can only assume the 'scope broadened' because what they were originally proposing sounds completely useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lighttpd got halfway through one of those full rewrite/restructures which always seem like a good idea, then the guy writing it lost interest.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

reading glassdoor reviews of a software development company and someone has listed "Customers care about Linux" under "Cons"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

i appreciate nano's split commitment in having all the commands right there, but then naming the one you'd most often need the inscrutable "WriteOut"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

was excited to find out at work yesterday that nvidia's linux driver still comes as a binary blob that asks you to close X before it will install, same as it did last time i installed linux on the desktop in 2012

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

turned out it'd already been installed for me, so i didn't see whether standard procedure was still to go through the whole thing twice before anything would work

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

i found a big pile of sunrays in a bin once at my uni.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

this was back in 2009 or so, i asked on irc and ended up getting a core gnome dev offering me tips on compiling and running the sun software on ubuntu. i think it just about ran but was broken as poo poo, and once i got it to that point i lost interest and eventually lost the sunrays themselves.

the uni had a pretty huge sun contract until they got bought out by oracle. the general-use (i.e. compiling your java course submission) student mainframes are solaris still.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm not going to use MSVC because it still doesn't loving support C99, a standard that's almost old enough to drink

msvc supports C99 to the letter, but for maximum comedy value it only applies if you're writing actual c in a file named .c

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sapozhnik posted:

oh. well maybe i should take a look at it then

does it have stdatomic.h cuz that's the only c11 feature i care about at this time

nah, they only pulled C99 in because most of it is required for C++11

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Peeny Cheez posted:

Why not just use the update manager is what I meant.

non-lts ubuntus are only supported for 9 months now, and the do-release-upgrade path for the intermediate releases is through each other.

the upshot is that you can install the most recent release of ubuntu in march 2017 (16.10) and by january 2018 both your release and the one after it have been EOL'd and there's no upgrade path any more

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

2007, y'all

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sapozhnik posted:

To follow up on this, it seems MoltenVK has progressed to a usable level and has now been open-sourced.

sounds more like valve drove up with a truckload of cash than any particular progression.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The_Franz posted:

that's the case with a lot of the vulkan tools: they're also sponsoring lunarg to work on the loader and validation layers (hence why valve is listed in the copyright info in the source files), they fund the renderdoc guy, they funded the creation of the gpuvis tool and they hired several people to work on the radv driver and other amd linux stuff

i have no problem with valve using it's boatloads of cash to fund the development of or buy and open-source useful tools

oh yeah, no complaint, i just reckon that what moved was valve's desire to see cross-platform vulkan even without apple's support, rather than moltenvk reaching a point of maturity where it suddenly became attractive

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

iirc it silently started working in a driver update a few months ago and may well go away again at some point

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sapozhnik posted:

reference implementations yeah

i genuinely don't know to what extent x264 vs dedicated encoding hardware is actually used in anger though. i'd imagine content authoring would have no problems grinding away at a few hours of raw footage for a few CPU-days to get the maximum quality result, yeah. on the other hand, real time video streaming is going to use a hardware implementation, and that includes youtube and the like. youtube has to transcode a firehose of incoming content at something like 10,000x real time, there's definitely going to be some hardware acceleration involved in that process, both for throughput reasons and because google probably doesn't want to operate a nuclear power plant for just this one task.

YouTube is CPU transcoding afaik, because nothing else will scale elastically like that. They don't have to do it faster than real time, just massively parallel for shitloads of input formats to a sizable quantity of output formats.

pseudorandom name posted:

"hardware" raytracing aka "we wrote a compute shader"

It's a little more of a pain than that, because you can't hang the GPU waiting for a Monte Carlo ray to finish. Hard enough that it's worth writing an API, anyhow.

Re: Vulkan, the buyout of MoltenVK is pretty big news. Apple's move, though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

rms posted:

I generally follow my opinions rather than others' opinions.

whadda genius

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

against all known reason, it appears to be a slow news day at phoronix

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

do-release-upgrade crashed on my ubuntu server a few weeks ago, so i looked it up and saw there'd been a bug fix. i ran apt upgrade to get the new version of do-release-upgrade, at which point apt upgraded the whole system because do-release-upgrade had already reconfigured sources.list or w/e. thamks ubuntu

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Fiedler posted:

oh i see you're doing legacy app development with 3rd party extensions.

next time it hangs, attach to the running VS instance and check out the threads view to see which 3rd party extension is causing the deadlock. then uninstall that extension. or just proactively uninstall all of the 3rd party extensions.

also your views appear in random places because you're killing vs instead of properly closing it.

codeXL started hanging VS on load for me the other day, for the crime of finally installing a compatible graphics card

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Athas posted:

systemd is probably the process I care the least about on my Linux.

What is thread consensus on NixOS?

the installer ui hung in a vm so i lost interest

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Suspicious Dish posted:

I've never shied away from my shameful past life of working on GNOME. I haven't touched it for years, except for the few times I come around to nudge them in the right direction. Like this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/merge_requests/189

a "40% improvement" in smooth mouse movement is not worth losing the ability to 360 noscope a distorted jelly window orbiting a cube at high speed, sorry

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

can you performance profile a dream?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The_Franz posted:

industries like high-end vfx, medical imaging and automotive aren't windows-centric

rude to make some look bad by selective quoting, imo. vfx will use opengl until physically forced not to, and probably for some time after that point

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Franz wasn't saying they did, they were saying that vfx isn't windows-centric and so has a use for a cross-platform graphics api

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Zlodo posted:

this reminded me of the hosed up fact that some smart cards and sim cards actually run on java

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Card

quote:

However, many Java language features are not supported by Java Card (in particular types char, double, float and long; the transient qualifier; enums; arrays of more than one dimension; finalization; object cloning; threads). Further, some common features of Java are not provided at runtime by many actual smart cards (in particular type int, which is the default type of a Java expression; and garbage collection of objects).

...I guess you use short?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

performance-wise amd would be fine

but amd doesn't support any of the software that people actually use in the wild -- no cuda, tensorflow is kind of an alpha/beta stage, etc

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's 2019 and steam has built-in support for wine w/ full directX

you are not gonna need or want a windows vm

p. funny to see these two posts right next to each other. no see, this tangled mess of partial compatibility layers and alternative APIs is a terrible trash fire to be avoided, but this other mess of partial compatibility layers and alternative APIs is perfectly fine and you will have no issues.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

or maybe video games are a little less important than your job

i get paid to interact with desktop linux at work, at home i'd be volunteering

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

why is kde still so ugly after all this time. why has no-one come along and made it not ugly.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

hifi posted:

2 things for me are, the stupid 3d objects folder pinned in explorer and when your computer goes to sleep with a dp monitor and another one and you come back and the open windows are all resized and shuffled around

the latter is your monitors badly implementing the spec, iirc

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

gcc got moved to git. esr appears to have spent the last weeks of work on it digging up old builds of gcc to unlock a sick achievement for having the whole set.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

yeah, looks like the golang conversion was an excuse to have a bunch of people paid by companies come in and kick it into shape, alongside the guy working on the git-svn based approach

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

a second linux has hit the desktop tower

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

eschaton posted:

why is anyone trying to do high performance 3D graphics with JavaScript in web pages anyway

they’re for textual documents and JavaScript is deprecated

wabassembly says hi

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

only conceivable in this, the year of the linux desktop

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Xkdc Larper posted:

Use a tiling window manager ffs. Unless you lijke to spend 8 hours a day moving windows around and hitting alt tab

other humans have to use my computer ever

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"other people cannot use my pc" sounds like a feature not a bug

an ergonomic keyboard achieves this aim with much more grace, tbh

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

the contrast between old esr fuming that he might ever be not allowed to be a fuckwit somewhere versus young esr trying to blow up ncurses because the guy fixing his patches violated the secret etiquette of the true hacker, lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

telling people who are clearly very invested in the kind of artisanal font render that only linux bothers to provide that if they really cared about accuracy they'd buy a hidpi monitor, is pretty hilarious trolling. but i'm happy to be a dullard and say maybe it's not the sort of thing you should be doing as a professional representative of facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Soricidus posted:

yeah, this is a core part of the unix experience, as anyone who’s used solaris, hp-ux, etc. can testify.

god yes. solaris 10 changing the behaviour of "ps" just to gently caress with you.