Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

looking for a linux for personal use, want a middle ground between arch "gently caress you do it yourself" and ubuntu "lol i want be mac" bullshit. debian maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

you should only use gods own file system, fat16

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

software... is... bizarre...

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

so i have fedora dual boot on my laptop now, and i'm finding that i can't get through 15 minutes of linux before i need the terminal open for some reason

also loving nvidia optimus bumblee bullshit solution

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

vim

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

wait do people actually use desktop environments? i thought that was a myth

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

turns out one of my professors worked down the hall from stallman at some point, i asked him if he ever wore shoes then

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

i appreciate that linux exists but i'd never use it as my main operating system, it's too much of a pain in the rear end at times

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

carry on then posted:

you have 48 cores?

don't you? i thought that was pretty standard by now

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

craisins posted:

http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-laptops-for-music-production/

edit: the last time i even looked at audio production was in like 2004 with digidesign pro tools

oh i see, so basically just retards with no brains or knowledge of computers use macs, "oh look my mac makes no hard drive noise" neither does my laptop you loving ponce because i installed an ssd

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

macs internal connectors are gold plated which is good for audio production because impedance matching

i too buy $100,000 diamond plated cables

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

theultimo posted:

linux doesn't need more then 1366x768

i use terminal mode in 4k

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

trying to get my printer working with a raspberry pi, after 3 hours it still doesn't work, only drivers that exist are x86 or x64, no arm support it looks like but other people have gotten it working and i have no idea why what they did worked but me doing exactly that does not

~*linux*~

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

i'm taking a linux class that he requires us to use vim and learn a large amount of the shortcuts and we're required to do everything from ssh and command line. first project for the semester is writing a kernel module for an afsk modulated signal

the one thing i've learned from the class for sure is i never ever want to use linux as my daily driver

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

wrote my own ax25 frame for class, it's poo poo, also a bell202 encoder and NRZI bitstuffer that is also poo poo

did i do linux right?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

OK no matter what media I try and how I tell it to install, fedora ends up installing a broken, less-than-minimal system with no network connectivity whatsoever and no apparent ability to get any.

there's no loving tracert, let alone any web browsers or anything approximating anything useful.

and I can't get it to install any of the packages it should've from the install media, because it can't synchronize the cache for the Fedora repo it can't reach because it won't let me install the packages I need to let it reach that repo

who the gently caress told me to use fedora

edit: I think maybe the problem is that dnf won't work at all if it can't connect to the repo, even if the packages are stored locally? so it just gives up and leaves a system without any packages?

tracert is windows, traceroute is linux

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

windows lets me use three monitors with my t530, linux can't even get 2 working all the time, once in a while it'll detect a second one but not often.

having to use bumblebee optimus nvidia drivers doesn't help

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Celexi posted:

i have 3 monitors on my desktop working gr8 soz for your lovely hybrid graphics choices

works perfect in windows, played dark souls 2 on it while the intel portion ran my other monitors

Shaggar posted:

so just use windows.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

i am having such a bitch of a time getting a yealink voip phone talking through a linux openvpn server to an asterisk pbx

kill me

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Sngrep. You're welcome.

thanks! trying to watch two linux servers using iptraf and grepping through logs is a real ballache

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

so i'm kind of new at this whole pbx/vpn/godonlyknows systems admin thing, i did get the openvpn passing traffic through to an asterisk pbx server and we got two phones connecting to each other over it. my boss wants to now set up a couple hundred on it

how screwed am i?

should i start worrying about codecs and overhead or is it still small for what these systems can handle?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

anyone got a link to that discussion about why fedora was the least-bad linux its for a project im working on

because it's actually made to be an enterprise workstation and not some bespoke custom bullshit that's useless outside of toy applications?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sip/rtp over openvpn is a gigantic bag of hosed. you are completely, totally screwed.

these are real-time, latency- and jitter-sensitive audio streams. literally the worst case for tunneling over a tcp session w/ openvpn

there are special standards for encrypted sip/rtp for this very reason. you could also use native ipsec if the phones support it

they don't support ipsec, they're all yealink desk and conference phones, what we've tested so far was a conference phone and a desk phone communicating over the vpn

they just use .tar files with a config file and verious ssh keys and user/pass auth file but it does simplify deployment a bit over trying to use nat like we were, current number of phones is around 100-150 i think.

feels like if i wanted to do something similar with a branch office i would want some sort of hardware vpn instead of having every phone connect to it themselves?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

i actually like linux, but only from putty in windows

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

i'm guessing he didn't follow their rules on how code should look and be written

despite them being completely wrong on a few points

some of them i do like though

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle

found it

FOLLOW THESE OR YOU'RE LITERALLY HITLER

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

let them eat gnu cake

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

The XKCD Larper posted:

Gnome Software does not work on my computer

tired and thought that said "game software" and was going to say well no poo poo, color me surprised

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

b0red posted:

I don't believe it. Linux external monitor will always gently caress poo poo up

i'm running an nvidia optimus dual video card thing in my laptop, automatically worked when i plugged the 2nd monitor in

my screen brightness buttons don't work though, i get to change that through the console

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

optimus card is acting odd, i can start up using the intel graphics card and booting a game or something that uses more resources will engage the nvidia card but after they close out it'll stay on instead of switching back to the intel graphics

still need to figure out power management on this too, in windows lenovo had a power management driver and i could get 6-8 hours out of my battery, now i'm lucky to get 3 so i know my power management stuff is screwed up

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at least under X11, the "switching" on linux doesn't actually switch any outputs. the intel chipset always controls the graphics outputs. on-demand, the nvidia chip can be powered on, renders to an off-screen buffer, and the intel chip displays the buffer

this has a modest performance overhead but it makes everything a lot simpler for X11

re: power management, it sounds like your nvidia chip is being powered on continuously. that's about the only fuckup that could kill battery life that badly

yeah I think the nvidia chip is on continuously, if i go into my bios and set it to only use the intel i get good battery life and my temps go down a lot too. idle on optimus or nvidia i'm around 55c

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

fixed my power consumption issues, it wasn't the nvidia chip, it was the processor not throttling. i didn't have kernel-tools installed or cpupower setup, now my power consumption is to a much more reasonable level, from 28W down to 11W

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Shaggar posted:

because Linux was designed as a single user/small group system in which everyone on the system should have equal access to everything.

wouldn't a better more modern solution be to have the underlying os completely inaccessible unless root and all users are basically treated as being in virtual environments? that way at least you can separate the users from the underlying system completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

the problem with programming being easier to learn now is that every jackass with a keyboard thinks they can write code

then they decide running java on a microcontroller is a good idea because they're a dumbfuck that can't handle programming without at least 20 libraries handling the real work for them