Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the one thing I cannot figure out is how the rfuck k8s in the tayool 2022 still doesn't support swap (ok I just looked and it's an alpha feature)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I have no idea how they have convinced people that their product, which totally dumps decades of investment and research in memory management, is ready for prime time

and I say this as someone who runs k8s in production

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it’s because linux is poo poo at managing swap so you are better off not having swap, eating the OOMs, and moving pods off the overloaded node to another one. distributed systems are designed around fail-stop and swap turns fail-stop into fail-slow. it doesn’t help for the scenarios k8s is deployed into. that’s why k8s didn’t support swap originally. idk why it’s starting to—demand from people like you maybe? I won’t be enabling it

I don't think it's a matter of fail-stop vs fail-slow, not having swap is strictly worse in low-memory conditions. you're going to be paging to disk no matter what, you probably want it to be the memory a bunch of programs allocated at startup and never used again rather than hot items in the page cache or the executable sections of your programs

if you don't want your programs to be able to overcommit memory, that's your choice. but my understanding is that in v2 cgroups the accounting is going to (correctly) include things outside of anonymous memory like pages and kernel allocations, so your users might try to allocate less than whatever their limit is and things will either be killed or "slow down" because you've reduced the number of pages they're allowed to have in the cache

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

for VMs you can also use zram for the swap partition

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I've had to explain this to teenagers who are impressed that I use emacs by default when I do something quick. There are better ways now, don't waste ur life.

as a computing professional you're going to want to learn some shortcuts for navigating around your code. you can choose to have those shortcuts exist on every machine and editor you'll ever use or not.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

it's a little endearing when someone is using vscode or sublime or notepad++. like watching an ant struggle to pull something 10x its size

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

"awww, they're doing full text search on 'def pooFunction(' to find where the function is defined"

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

mystes posted:

Are you just complaining about your idea of what you imagine vscode is like without having actually used it?

kind of, yes. this is what my coworkers who use vscode do when we are working together

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

The_Franz posted:

that's a case of people not knowing how to use their tools vs the tools being inadequate

okay, does vscode provide "find implementation" for python code then?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

The_Franz posted:

oh python? apparently not (yet)

is your company too cheap to pay for pycharm or something?

no, we give out intellij licenses like candy, but the vscode/sublime users don't think they need it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ebpf everything is the future.

I can see the appeal, but I really don't understand how you're supposed to debug when things go wrong with your bytecode programs other than very carefully.

For tracing and profiling it's a godsend of course, but xdp and such seems nuts to me

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

mystes posted:

You're a very generous grader

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

The Wisest Moron posted:

I want to browse the internet while pretending I'm elite hacker-man, what OS should I use for that?

lynx in a tiling window manager on arch, op

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

zfs on Linux is embarrassingly slow and bad, don’t use it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

yummycheese posted:

Debian - hard core stallmanisim that prevents users from doing obvious tasks
Fedora - Good but hope you like upgrading your OS every six months
Ubuntu - A graphical user interface that has driven many to madness
Arch - lol read the wiki you dumb user. roll up your sleeves and DIY
FreeBSD - idk the handbook is good at least ??!?

this is why Ubuntu server is the best of the pos

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

A Bad King posted:

Tinkering and distro hopping can be its own fun hobby on a spare machine, though.

love too fight with my computer as a hobby

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

most of the oh-my-zsh themes are awful, but if you use a simple one you can still get the vi key bindings and all the nice autocomplete plugins and not have a bunch of irrelevant garbage on your screen

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

It was posted before, but you can find ISOs of Debian that come with non-free drivers, a modern installer and a desktop environment that are pretty much perfect for me.

yes, we all know about ubuntu, op

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

why the gently caress did they build a dns server into it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Lysidas posted:

though if your server is like mine you might also have to recompile the kernel after setting a lot of options for docker to work

what the gently caress is your server like?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

well yes, sshing to containers is explicitly because you're debugging something went wrong, that's the whole point????

are you .,.. actually sshing to the container? as in it is running ssh?

if you live in a normal world you exec into the container either from the host it’s running on or preferably remotely using kubectl

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

carry on then posted:

this is some "beep boop i am incapable of nuance or parsing context" level posting lmao

I’m a goon and a yosposter, what do you expect

but also I’ve seen this before on more than one occasion

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

well yes, doing so requires root privileges

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I'm not sure I'm completely following you, but in 2022 Linux containers can be run by unprivileged users and thus "container escape" could only ever give you unprivileged access

but it also seems kind of beside the point, because if you are able to escape a container you're already exploiting the kernel

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in what way exactly is the container a container at the point where things casually stroll out of it? given how much you seem care about the security of the setup i do now imagine that the "unprivileged" level after container escape will be able to mess with everything of actual relevance on the machine, being precluded perhaps from changing the system clock.

yeah, but what you’re describing is not the case if you’re holding it correctly

admittedly people are mostly not doing that, but don’t blame Linux!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

In the year 2022 you don't ever see a box rooted with a single exploit, though.
Attackers are going to use remote code execution, privilege escalation, container escapes and any or all of their individual tools may also use ROP gadgets, JIT spraying, rely on use-after-free, or any number of fun things.

The prime reason containers exist on Linux is to orchestrate things, and that's been the selling point since day one.
It's not about isolation, and even if you can retrofit isolation on top of all the various containers, it's interesting to look at how many escape exploits there's been in either docker or kubernetes, and try to at least consider how many people are going to go out of their way to activate the isolation mechanisms, which aren't default and take a not-inconsiderable amount of work to set up correctly.

look, I think a problem here is that containers is an imprecise term. largely you’re talking about some nice api on top of cgroups and namespaces, but there are also Linux container runtimes available that intercept and emulate system calls or use the in-kernel kvm machinery to run the process in what is essentially its own individual vm

to your point, I agree that the primary container runtime that initially got traction on Linux, which was docker, traded usability for security in its initial implementation where required. they knew operators were going to run all their containers as root even though they explicitly said “do not do this!” and predictably users do exactly that and run root containers all day long.

but! the major primitives docker relies on, namespaces and cgroups, are very much designed for strong isolation guarantees. as I mentioned, since 3.8, root is not required at all to use these tools, not even suid. and they’re pretty powerful, you can start a container within which a process is running as “root” with full capabilities, but that root will actually just map to the unprivileged user that started the container.

as for why so many of these exploits pop up on Linux as opposed to FreeBSD, I’d imagine it’s because Linux has users

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

nbsd come back, you are missed

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

disallowing universe makes a lot of sense though. trying to make all of your poo poo work on system-provided python or java is a very bad idea imo, regardless of distribution. core just needs to provide enough to run basic system services and get a container runtime up

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

is there a point to having a separate htpc when plex exists and you can run plex server on your main PC?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I'm a little dim, is Nix just distribution-agnostic package isolation for non-containerized environments?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

why do I want my app in Nix instead of docker?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

this is the correct behavior, op.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

inventing a third configuration language that compiles to either NetworkManager or systemd-networkd seems pretty idiotic

yeah, that one is definitely redacted, but that's been there since bionic

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

does docker run on windows and macos, or does windows and macos provide a hypervisor that can run linux as a virtual guest, which then runs docker?

on windows it can run native, on osx it runs under hypervisor

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

i barely know 'er!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

does windows server or whatever have wsl? it’s almost compelling as a platform if you can run both windows and Linux binaries natively

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

answering my own question, holy poo poo it does. that’s awesome except for the main system being windows

maybe we can get a LSW

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

mystes posted:

You realize that if you want a linux server you can just run linux, right?

yeah, I do, but I can’t run the lovely third-party windows apps I need on them. would be nice to only have to janitor one kind of server

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

nudgenudgetilt posted:

https://github.com/Jeeaaasus/youtube-dl/blob/master/Dockerfile#L43

Let's embed our dependency version and url into our Dockerfile! Well, only if we're running x86_64 -- otherwise let's just use the latest version of the distro package. Why not always use the distro ffmpeg?

Then this poo poo:
https://github.com/Jeeaaasus/youtube-dl/blob/master/Dockerfile#L79

Why? Just Why?

Don't run a loving init inside your container. Run containers for each service. An init in your container just obscures the visibility docker provides into your service and fucks up your logging situation. One (primary application) process, one container, one set of logs.

you should always use an init, you need something to reap zombies and handle signal propagation correctly and that poo poo does not belong in your app

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

nudgenudgetilt posted:

docker has provided a reaping init via --init for the better part of a decade.

I'm saying don't do full on process management modern init inside docker, because you end up fighting against both the init system and the process managmenet/logging facilities provided by docker (or whatever container runtime you've chosen with the exception of lx[cd]).

and yeah, your app *does* need to handle reaping and signal propagation itself. putting an init process under your app is only useful if your app both spawns processes it fails to reap *and* regularly exits, so that the zombies can be re-parented to init and reaped. if you're spawning children and failing to reap them and never exiting, the zombies will chill until the parent exits

so you agree whenever your app actually runs, there needs to be an init and it should not be your application, that’s good.

believe it or not, if your deployable unit is a container, there are legitimate use cases for needing more than one OS process inside of it. it’s why the deployable unit of orchestrators is explicitly not containers, but something higher level like pods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I'm saying all processes that spawn children should reap their children, but having --init is useful for when you're dealing with incompetently built applications

if you're constrained that your deployable unit has to be a single container, but you need to run multiple services, use a containerization engine that exposes service state and logging to your host service and logging infrastructure -- systemd-nspawn, lxc, etc.

the problem with using s6 on docker is that you've thrown away all logging and process management built into docker and have to expose logs via volumes, have to inspect processes by shelling into the container, and generally have to janitor it like a vm

if you want to target docker, replace s6 with a docker compose file that makes it easy to inspect service state and logs without having to cowboy up a shell. it also means the same image can easily be reused in k8s to plug and play with all your bullshit infra there

lol do people really refer to systemd as s6, jesus christ

anyway, I wouldn’t recommend running systemd in a container either, that’d be redacted. the point I’m trying to convey to you is sometimes a “service” may be composed of multiple OS processes working cooperatively and it’s not exactly uncommon. a trivial example is an application with something running alongside it that’s polling or listening for changes from an external system, writing to a file, and sending the application a sighup when that happens.

the application itself should only have to know about what to do when it gets a sighup and how to serve farts

so you need something there (I really like remco for this pattern specifically, but there are others) to monitor the processes and if they go down either restart them and keep going or kill itself so the container will die. and it should reap zombies as well, they are much easier to appear than you seem to think