Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

reminder that stallman is smarter than every single poster itt and a force for good in the world and almost always ends up being right in the end

"a bloo bloo bloo i want to use the fruit of somebody else's labour but i don't want to abide by the terms that the creator offers"

"a bloo bloo bloo i want to enjoy all the benefits of civilization and the rule of law but i don't want to abide by the obligations (tax) imposed upon me by that very same system of law"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tankakern posted:

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/07/15/0018221/in-which-linus-torvalds-makes-an-init-joke

oh god the comment section is pure cancer

was slashdot always like this

yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I do phone screens or interviews for this kind of thing several times a week

having "bad" opinions is not an automatic fail but the candidate needs to be able to explain how and why that judgment was reached. maybe the candidate's experiences are different from mine!

so far, none who mentioned "ansible good" or "systemd bad" have managed to do that.

So how did you land on ansible?
It's agentless!

How did that benefit the business?
It's agentless!

What other technologies did you evaluate before settling on ansible?
Nothing, we chose ansible because it's agentless!

naturally you can substitute mongodb or systemd into the script and have the same idiotic conversation

whats so bad about ansible

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

Wtf is noise Bridge

a hacker space in sf full of crust punks or other types of degens or something

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

several pages behind on this thread but the container convo was good poo poo imo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jre posted:

dehumanise yourself and face to bezos

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

more interesting than window managers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ubuttpoo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont know what model xps13 we have in our office but they suck rear end to take apart

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im litereally running linux on a goddamn desktop

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OldAlias posted:

real question, what setups do decently for battery life wrt linux desktops? this has been my experience across a number of thinkpads and other computes and it's completely unacceptable to me now

dell xps

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

does anyone have a decent podcast app for fedora? Vocal sucks poo poo and crashes all the time

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TimWinter posted:

So, fedora seems to ship with a version of gnome shell that crashes when you plug in external monitors on a laptop. That was fun to debug.

what's your laptop I don't have that problem

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Linux on the desktop: "weird, I don't have that problem"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

el dorito posted:

can’t even browse the web with only 1g of ram :smith:

start a campaign to make the web lynx friendly again

here you go: https://github.com/browsh-org/browsh

efb

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the only really bad desktop linux fail ive had in the last year or so so far was trying to stream video from a remote windows machine with xfreerdp which was a stupid idea, admittedly.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hifi posted:

i have to restart my computer if i want to plug in my kindle

lmfao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Share Bear posted:

i want to try out a tiling wm but xfce is very needs suiting

i also need to know of annoying mechanical keyboards which work on this natively

my wasd code keyboard works on it fine, media keys and all.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TimWinter posted:

Good to hear re:i3, will try on my new fedora machine.

Although I do really like gnome 3. I never thought I would but it's nice.

i felt the same way but its really good.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kilometres Davis posted:

Windows Subsystem for Linux, ssh in cmd/PowerShell, cheap Azure and AWS resources.

It's never been easier to use Linux while actually running Windows.

2018 truly is the year of Linux on the desktop.

now Micro$oft just needs to make a terminal emulator that doesnt look or function like poo poo.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

eschaton posted:

you mean something like the “pad” tool on Domain/OS right?

*in knowing what that means voice* mmm... maybe

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah give me iterm2 on windows or go to hell.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Just updated chrome and the new UI is uh.... something.

it sucks major rear end

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tankakern posted:

if you've made the stupid choice and got yourself a macbook, the touchpad might now work even better within linux. libinput 1.12 is released with the new quirks ini file system and enhancements for macbook touchpads. even xps machines have some fixes for jumping cursor issues if you've got problems with that.

neat

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good for linus.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

linus torvolds, on liveleak video, blindfolded and kneeling in front of gay pride flag: I love social justice now. I say this under no duress.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

installed Kali Linux on this laptop. nice to have an organized collection of h4ck3r pr0gz in a single place and some of the people that appear on the security podcasts I listen to are also credited in these tools.
still, the nitty gritty of TCP, Ethernet, DNS, etc is a big departure from my day job as an HTTP janitor

you’re a kid now
you’re a skid now
you’re a kid now
you’re a skid now
you’re a kid you’re a skid you’re a kid you’re a skid now

are you doing a bit here or something

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

gnome "its good enough for me"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pram posted:

the chad linux janitor: uses base ubuntu ami

:cawg:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The podcast app that ships with Fedora, Vocal, is the biggest piece of poo poo program i have ever used.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

any of you nerds lookin for a job linuxing stuff that aren't servers? we've got offices in boulder and santa cruz

what kind of stuff

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it's because you don't need sound in space

heh

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Soricidus posted:

welp, i guess 2018 wasn't the year of linux on the desktop after all, but i have a good feeling about 2019

2018 was the year of linux on my desktop :peanut:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just what no one was asking for: the performance of windows, with the stability of windows, and the ease of development of linux

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

does any decent remote desktop/vnc situation exist for gnome to actually replicate display :0 instead of creating a new desktop? I know wayland doesn't support it (lmao) but I've tried switching to xorg and i can't get xrdp or x11vnc to work either. I'm just trying to set up something so I can have an old computer hooked to my tv, which i can control from an rdp session on my laptop, for streaming sports once in a while. im running fedora 29

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 13, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well you figured out the correct tool: x11vnc does exactly what you want. it connects (as a client) to the existing display, and exposes a vnc endpoint.

if it doesn't work, that's on you, really

yeah, i finally figured out the basic problem with establishing the connection was i was trying to use `-auth /run/user/my-uid/gdm/Xauthority` instead of `-auth /run/user/gdm-users-uid/gdm/Xauthority`. Now to figure out why I can move the mouse but not type...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The bit about using /run/user/42/gdm/Xauthority I got from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/x11vnc#GDM which made it sound like I should be using that file instead of the one in my home dir when using GDM/Gnome. Going that route at least gets me on and connected, trying to use the .Xauthority file in my home dir results in No protocol specified, XOpenDisplay(":0") failed.

This is the command I'm running:
x11vnc -rfbauth /home/me/.vnc/passwd -nap -many -norepeat 5 -alwaysshared -dontdisconnect -shared -nolookup -auth /home/me/.Xauthority -rfbport 5900 -no6 -display :0 -noxdamage

vs

sudo x11vnc -rfbauth /home/me/.vnc/passwd -nap -many -norepeat 5 -alwaysshared -dontdisconnect -shared -nolookup -auth /run/user/42/gdm/Xauthority -rfbport 5900 -no6 -display :0 -noxdamage

which at least gets me to the remote greeter login/lock screen. I can even click around the screen there, but the password field is in a greyed out type state.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 13, 2019