Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
vms is the bomb

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sorry, forgot "ticking time" in there

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gabensraum posted:

it made me remember slashdot. remembering slashdot is like losing 'the game'

ok, i'm pretty sure it doesn't count because technically you announced you lost the game just now.

i didn't even remember slashdot existed until just now, though, and i looked and it still uses the same goddamn stylesheet it's had since like 2002, lol.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

2032: all restaurants are taco bell, all operating systems are linux

2038: civilization collapses

im at the combination microsoft and linux shell

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
layers of titanic dildoes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Dog posted:

oh are we posting widely used open source packages whose source code is bad now

https://github.com/Distrotech/procmail/blob/master/src/procmail.c

(alright, I'm cheating a bit. Procmail hasn't been relevant for about ten years)

whats in goodies.h

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i actually think windows 8 / 10 are the best looking desktop os, it's just that they suck to use.

but my ipad pro is the first OS that's genuinely pleasurable to use.

i have to use linux as my daily driver and at this point the constant weird driver issues are more annoying than the usability of the myriad DE's. i'm seriously considering giving the windows linux thing a try, maybe it would be better than linux / gnome ? i dont think a serious computer user has ever tried using windows as a serious development environment, so i dont think anyone really knows.

i hate my life and myself

we use windows as a serious dev environment, but we're an extreme outlier because even though the best versions of cache run on linux, the best dev tools for it are windows. the dev environment on linux is a barebones cli editor that only works with vt-400 keymapping.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blue Train posted:

I hear this a lot but what is actually wrong with it

its structure is just from a different era and nowadays it's very restrictive in what it offers and you're probably going to make more mistakes with it. vb.net is going to give you access to like 90% of what c# does since they share a runtime and have access to the same stdlib, but vb is just a bigger pain to write so why would you.

also i think like 95% of vb developers are like me and know it from maintaining 20 year old legacy horrorshow vb6 codebases and just want to escape the suffering.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OldAlias posted:

they mean "virtualbox" not visual basic. it should be obvious to all who post here why vb the language is terrible.

in any case, i think it was suspicious dish who said something about virtualbox piping graphics over a virtualized serial i/o as opposed to using something sane like LLVM, so anything graphical ran like dogshit, on top of replacing libgl.c with a worse version. however, i think this has changed in recent times. it is usually suggested to those who don't want to deal with kvm/qmeu, or don't have the liscenes for vmware. if it works for you then cool, whatever

oh lol, i just keyed offa shaggar.

virutalbox is not that bad anymore, but one thing i did find is that it sucks really bad at keeping its virtual disk images compact compared to vmware.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Soricidus posted:

in the sense that it kills all the nasty bugs and viruses so you can enjoy your computer working safe and secure

youre not eschaton!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

the official response to optimus by some kernel developer:

lol, linus is how peter pan plays out irl

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tankakern posted:

gently caress you all you ignorant pieces of poo poo

i hope linus blocks out nvidia from the kernel completely until they start taking nouveau seriously

linus's forums account spotted. [linusvoice]the ignorant partial-birth abortion of a loving worthless human being[/linusvoice]

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

looks like gsk is getting merged into the Gtk 4 development branch already i'm pretty fukcen hype :w00t:

big pharma getting their tendrils into everything :bahgawd:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my joke survived a title update. this is my proudest moment

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RFC2324 posted:

I like the ones who install a gui, but refuse to plug in a mouse because they are "more efficient just using keyboard shortcuts"

One time doing a go live for epic I watched a um manager enter a referral about 10x faster than I'd ever managed using only the keyboard and it blew my mind. If the work flow is designed with it in mind a key board can definitely be more efficient, but programming ain't one of those work flows.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Truga posted:

i don't think anyone should do everything by cli, but many (most?) computer toucher things are done about 3 billion times faster by cli, and cli commands are easily automated. there's an extremely good reason why powershell exists, and no matter how much i hate it because the commands are all too loving long and the auto-complete can be dumb as gently caress at times, it's still vastly better than "open contorl panel, click thing x43, press this, click ok x43"

i have a gui on my work laptop for a normal browsing experience and so i can have multiple terminal windows up at the same time effortlessly (screen/tmux can't compare to a decent window management and desktop environment like kde).

also, ansible is the better config mgmt system because redhat supplies a library of things like https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible which makes my job 99% easier since most community supplied config management poo poo is "task 0: disable selinux" so i'd have to do everything myself anyway.

also, i've written shell scripts longer than ~10 lines, but when it's just preparing a working environment or linking files and running commands linearly idc. if you have control flow in your shell script, you've done hosed up tho. incidentally, i have a legacy git server at work which is 100% loving shell scripts and breaks at the tiniest of breezes that i hope to replace by year's end.

I've never used screen to replace windowing, but I have used screen a bunch of times to house long running jobs on servers that have a habit of kicking my ssh session thus cutting me off from the stdout of the job.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

guix has a service called cuirass. queer rear end. lol

Hahahajahahajahahahahajahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshahahahahahahahah

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wtf is noise Bridge

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spankmeister posted:

The lack of a physical escape key is.... disturbing

I hate that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poopernickel posted:

woah, who's still using aix? and why?

aix is one of Epic's supported platforms afaik, so lots of people using InterSystems software or other legacy poo poo i imagine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

probably people who were running aix for a reason in the past and are still enjoying the coasting with the very long term support contract they have. sure they would be at least as happy on rhel, but the main priority being keeping things running without effort invested means it makes no sense to invest effort to get onto another platform that offers the same

i really suspect that there is a lot of business opportunity even now in just offering incredibly long-term support contracts. just freeze a dist and a piece of hardware, promise to support both for 100 years, with the rather irrelevant caveat that you promise to if necessary build a vm to simulate the hardware (to at least an equivalent speed of the original) and just update the software to deal with security issues. sort of the mainframe model except realizing that the supposed technology advantages are largely nonsense, the guarantees are what you're selling

bitrot is a lie

you're very right

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
there is nothing good in racine or kenosha schadenboder. racine is a company town around a prison and the corpse of johnson controls and kenosha is fuckin kenosha.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There is way more money if you gtfo Wisconsin and as a bonus you don't have to hang around the worst sort of redneck republicans anymore.

But this has almost nothing to do with Linux at this point lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pseudorandom name posted:

this is x86, you can just add another instruction and call it MOVBE

Here is the code for MOVBE

code:

this is worth it
so please work it
read this byte in
flip it and reverse it

(moving from small to big end)
(moving from small to big end) 

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pram posted:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

u have a keyboard macro for this don't you

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gentoo and arch are weird just for weird's sake

lsb and fd.o have been relatively successful as standardizing forces and poo poo mostly works the same on debian and red hat. the only important differences are that red hat has working selinux, and differing script formats for generating packages

Aren't the debían project leads like completely insane though?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

G NU is
N ot
U seful

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
amazing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

this is seriously amazing. it's not often a community oriented around computers is willing to turn the monitor off and just stare into it for a while. I'm glad a major player in the industry is recognizing that the culture of shouting doesn't actually make better software or a stronger community. hopefully this will both inspire other groups and also cause a lot of un fixable poo poo heads to throw fits and get kicked out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

I wonder what the trigger was

what happened to actually make him look himself in the mirror

sounds like the fact that he was relieved he didn't have to do the kernel conference, which I'm sure is full of awful hostile behavior.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah that is a really good post

people usually seem to turn into bigger assholes as they get older. the facade cracks and a slurry of sexism racism and libertarianism starts to ooze out. that he's growing as a person even at his not-entirely-young age is very commendable, and the apology without reservations or justifications is very mature

good on ya linus :toot:

i will admit i immediately went to HN to go drink shitrobot tears though

poo poo, there's people in yospos who are probably really upset about it. just have to wait for them to hear the news.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SYSV Fanfic posted:

So yeah since you went there, you are entitled to your opinion on theo's poo poo but don't dare speak for me.

are you a maskenfreiheit alt?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

my bitter bi rival posted:

linus torvolds, on liveleak video, blindfolded and kneeling in front of gay pride flag: I love social justice now. I say this under no duress.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ratbert90 posted:

Oh, now they are arguing that excluding transphobic people is not being tolerant of transphobic people. :allears:

I'm glad we've usurped gays as the scary out group of the era. makes us feel sooooo loving special

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
remember pcmcia slots?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have a modem but now my TV comes through it too

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The_Franz posted:

sony is conspicuously absent from the freebsd foundation funding list. a list that seems to shrink a bit every year. they have a few big donors, but you can count them on one hand.

if anything, pointing at the ps4 is an argument against using the bsd license for large software projects, because there is nothing stopping a multi-billion dollar company from going "yeah, thanks for doing 95% of the work for us for free so we can build a closed platform. maybe we'll throw some trivial patches back upstream if we have time, but don't expect much. so long suckers"

iirc, openbsd was so broke a few years ago they were begging for money just to keep the lights on.

also the ps4 menus are an awful laggy pile of poo poo so not a great endorsement for bsd anyway

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Suspicious Dish posted:

The PS4 menus are incomprehensibly written in WebGL, which is why they suck.

hahahaha
they get worse with every update too, and they inexplicably removed the ability to pin video playing apps to the main screen in an update. God I'd love more tea about how hosed up that machine's internals are

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tankakern posted:

meh im too good at killing threads

in other news, if you've got an old macbook with those early thunderbolt implementations, linux might start becoming usable soon™

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/1/29/924

yeah let me just replace the world's most advanced operating system with linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't go into them but do linux greybeards drive-by poo poo up the apple threads at least once a page?

worse: endless stymie and fishmech posts