Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

ah so that's why java runtime is such a bloated pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

well i wouldn't want my photograph near this poo poo garbage aka fedora linux either

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't worry, no one would judge your work output by your physical appearance.

that treatment is reserved for women jvm performance engineers.

i;m not sure what you are implying, friend, maybe you should stop projecting your inner hatred of womynkind itt

god bless

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

b-b-but skype is anti freedom

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Soricidus posted:

actually java 8 is really fast and good. you may be thinking of javascript, which is a completely different thing and very much a pos

java : fast :: my posts : good

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

2015: the year of java on the desktop

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

anrdoid (lol)

Celexi posted:

lowtax should make the forums a java plugin

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

celeron 300a posted:

Anyone remember that one mod that let you configure the kernel using a text adventure engine?

Nice!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

unironically liked this theme when my needs were suited by a debian three point oh desktop

unfortunately E always was/is unusable garbage

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I have fond memories of woody.

that was peak linux on the desktop

loving around with fvwm, ah the halcyon days of my youth

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

found this in shameful_shit/2003 folder

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Pimp up your Terminal with Guake and Yakuake

If you're wondering whether Guake and Yakuake are Polynesian happy mushrooms, you're a bit off mark. These are Linux command line terminals, modified to behave like the console in the popular First Person Shooter (FPS) Quake. Hence, the funny names.

Guake and Yakuake are good-looking and fun - and most importantly - they will help you increase your productivity. So start using them, today. Happy Linuxing.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

lmao taking a picture of linux device shitberry pie 2 makes it freeze and reboot

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99042

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

ahem it also runs windows

also that's v cool

uhh yess i heard it needs telnet and hurr durr rpisss shittt

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

putty just passes ~ through :mad:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

im using windows eight point one the most tilevanced operating system on earth

upgrade? idont think so, bbuddy

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i have cygwin for various needs and mintty is rather poo poo, i'll try that thanks!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

GTK+ Finally Supports Minimizing Windows On Wayland

cool poo poo imo and an next step to desktop world domination

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you mean, stepped into the 1980s.

nah they still need to add a functional ui not designed for nonexistent tablets nobody wants or needs

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i guess what im tryin gto say is gnome is garbage for retards

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Soricidus posted:

what do you think the g stands for

that one is obvious but i can't quite make the other letters mean piss and poo poo

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

is this because of client side decorations or some poo poo? that's p dumb

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

the irony here is gnome developers response to damaging stimuli aka all their users making GBS threads on them

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Trading for wildly improved windowed application performance? Hell yeah I'll make that tradeoff any day.

lol gtk is going to be a horrible bloated slow shitmonster regardless of backend its running on

also gnome is literal poo poo

reminder that gnome devs literally removed minimize and maximize buttons from windows because "they dont make sense" lmao

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 13, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

ahh yes games on a linux desktop, a thing that exists

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

best part is how all gtk3 apps are broken in various hilarious ways on other wms because of this client decoration poo poo

i remember opening some poo poo app in wmaker and welp

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

gnome tweak tool existing deserves a special mention wrt laffs tbf

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

idgaf about buttons personally but u know lmao at the hubris of these people

Sassafras posted:

GNOME 3.x: We don't need no stinking usage metrics, that would imply we care about real users rather than our vision

designing for users existing irl is so passe

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i like wmaker it looks good and is less bad and dumb than alternatives :3:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

pram posted:

HOW U MANAGE SERVER WITHOUT RDP

"unpossible!" - an windows CJ

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

The_Franz posted:

functionally kde4 was pretty good, everyone hated it because the interface was ugly as gently caress and felt like it was designed by and for people who spend so much time in a dark room that they need sunglasses in the presence of a 40 watt light bulb. you could try to make it look nicer but that usually had the side effects of misaligned buttons, squished icons and cut-off controls.

lol functionally

i remember "u can place a clock widget on a screen, zoom it up 125% and rotate it 22 degress to the left and make it semitransparent" being a huge selling point and loving lmao idiot nerds

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:siren: :psyduck: :siren:

Luke Wolf, a KDE developer, argues that PC-BSD might become a serious desktop OS contender by year 2020, since Linux so far has failed to grasp any serious market share.

"PC-BSD on the other hand in fitting with the BSD mindset of holistic solutions is focused on developing desktop features and is moving rapidly to implement them."

so are all kde devs retarded fuckwits or is it just this one special pissflower, i mean going by the product they output id say all of them but

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and none of the plasma stuff works on a real tablet because it can't handle high-DPI

i remember that much unlike gnome dipshits which exist in purely hypothetical tablet/user space someone kde was dumb enough to actually try to make an kde tablet; not sure how that ended but i hope for tears and general misery

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 17, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ironically i hate bsd

same but unironically *fartz*

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

is xfce still unaware of concept of vsync or did they finally fix it like 30 years too late

tell me xfce sufferers

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

gnu hurr'd

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

I don't play video shames on it so I don't notice

moving windows without tearing not yet a feature worthy of linux desktop

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol why would you continue to paint a window while it's being moved

outlines don't tear

desktop compositing? yeah we tried it, it made poo poo slower and there was even more tearing

linux llol

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

welp not like I even remember what the old explorer.exe menus even looked like

like poo poo

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

is sco even alive yet

lol if it is

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

pram posted:

looks like poo poo

well it is gnome duh

it also works like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Smythe posted:

gnome is perfectly capable

indeed its perfectly capable to run badly on nonexisting tablet hardware nobody asked for