Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I thought SteamOS was dead in the water but apparently Valve is hiring new developers for it: https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/jobs?job_id=36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

pseudorandom name posted:

I suspect they're still convinced that Windows PCs are ultimately doomed in the consumer space and that they still need an exit plan.

Yes but most people aren't going to switch out Windows for an OS that just does Steam, if they make a switch they would want an proper distro. thought they'd learned that by now.

Suspicious Dish posted:

everyone that knew how to make a game quit years ago so this is all they have left

Agreed

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I thought Steam Machines where dead but looking at the Steam store I see a couple of them there.

Early last year they purged them from the Steam store so I thought they gave up on the project.

So I thought SteamOS was a console distro without a console.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Linux touched me in a bad way

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I want to have a look at some bad distros, so what's the worst distro?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Is Devuan bad because of no systemd? I thought people hated systemd.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

el dorito posted:

there’s a distro for every requirement, so it’s hard to note a specific distro that’s bad at everything because it’s probably really good for at least one thing that makes its userbase sustainable

Wow that was a very diplomatic way of putting things. :)

Progressive JPEG posted:

sure, there are legitimate technical issues with individual components in the toolset collectively labeled 'systemd'. these typically come up in the auxiliary/optional ones that arent widely used yet due to said technical issues

but when someone comes around and says they 'hate systemd' as a concept, 100% moron

I see, I never really bothered with the systemd discussion, it's just whenever it came up people started going off on it so I just assumed it was universally hated.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Soricidus posted:

systemd is bad, but the alternatives are worse

also the correct linux is red star os, op

How could it possibly be bad, it's used by millions. :P

It's also the only OS that's publicly endorsed by a world leader

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Ah I see, so that's how it is. :)

A distro I can fit on a zip drive, count me in.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

ratbert90 posted:

SMRPG is amazing gently caress you.

no

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

hbag posted:

it ran mint just fine
and my laptop was like 800 bucks

im trying a few more images before i give up

If you thought Mint worked fine why did you change it? Just stick with one distro until you feel comfortable with Linux, I know some people are dicks when it comes to newbie-distros but gently caress 'em, if it works it works.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

The_Franz posted:

you misspelled pipewire

Is Pipewire good enough to use now?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Progressive JPEG posted:

pipewire has been a straightforward drop-in replacement, i installed it and then forgot about it

but this was on arch where everything is a super recent build so it's probably not the same if you're on ubuntu from 5 years ago or whatever

That's great to hear, I'm gonna try it. :)

Is it good enough for audio-production?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
He also claimed that running apt-get on Manjaro starts a download for some dependency that quietly fails, I've never heard of this and when I tried it myself I just get a "command not found" like expected so I have no idea what he's talking about.

His github problems was funny as well, him downloading a html file and then being confused about that had me laughing. I can certainly understand github being confusing for some people but you can just look up how to download stuff from there. As someone with a youtube-channel dedicated to computers I would expect him to know stuff like this but... whatever

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol Manjaro is arch based, apt would never be on there unless you install it.

Exactly, but what confused me was him saying it tried to install a dependency so I had to try it myself.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

SYSV Fanfic posted:

IDK if he just missed the notification b/c of his gonzo monitor but when I zip a file on debian/kde I definitely get a notification and the tracker appears in the system notification area.

He did, he even talks about how he missed the notification in the video.

That's also why he thought he was done moving his 4gb file in 3 seconds to his thumbstick, he just wasn't looking at the notification area. I don't get why he thought that moving a 4gb file to a thumbstick would just take a couple of seconds however... but I guess that's Linus being Linus.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

AlbertFlasher posted:

contrary to popular belief but bsd is in fact cool and good

BSD is just for people that thinks Linux is too mainstream

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

mycophobia posted:

gnome is good bad

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Mr. Crow posted:

I still get irrationally angry when I have to use my windows box and try and winkey search and it pops up a loving bing or app store result, even when you exactly type the application.

I've started reverting back to desktop shortcuts :suicide:

Yeah, I don't understand why they changed it since it only serves to annoy the users, half the programs in the start menu doesn't show up when you search for them.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Computers are going back to what they used to be, a tool for nerds and nothing else. So many people nowadays don' t have a computer, they just use their phone for everything so it's not surprising that this new generation don't know how to use them properly. It's fine even if it is weird to us aging geeks.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I've never in my life had to use card catalogues let alone learn how to use them, all libraries had computers, maybe it's because I live in a developed country or something and grew up in the 90's.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Most anime is poorly animated and bad and I refuse to gamble on it any more.

But I digress, how about them linuxes and it's tuxes, 2022 is the year of the linux etc.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i'm sure some idiot with a gpu will use neural-network assisted frame-interpolation to make things better

I think it's easier to just watch something else

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Back when Windows 7 was released this was accurate. :colbert:

The last not bad windows

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

mystes posted:

Back when windows 7 was released people in the EU were actually threatening to use linux and openoffice.

What happened to these people, Windows and Microsoft is a thousand times worse nowadays.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Truga posted:

microsoft learned their lesson, and bought all the politicians in europe too

mystes posted:

1) They started a massive lobbying campaign and probably paid people off, plus they bribed standards organizations to accept OOXML as an open standard even though it has poo poo like binary blobs that are just like "do whatever office does here"
2) Some of the places were probably just doing it as a stunt to get free Office licenses anyway.
3) Also the whole thing where OpenOffice turned into a zombie project that wouldn't admit it was dead and killed the momentum for it despite LibreOffice still existing probably helped.

Can't say that I'm surprised. :/

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Munich, 1938: the French and British governments give hitler permission to occupy the German-speaking areas of Czechoslovakia

Munich, 2004: the Munich municipal government decides to use Linux

Wasn't there a thing about the state of Schleswig-Holstein switching to Linux? Maybe there's hope yet.

If we can get the whole of Germany to switch to open source we might get the rest of Europe to start adopting it as well. So in like 20 years the whole of Europe will be using Linux.

2042 Is the Year of Linux on the Desktop, you heard it here first folks.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

sb hermit posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/10/22971108/valve-steam-deck-windows-runs-drivers-no-support

Valve releases steam deck drivers for Windows 10, so that it'll actually install and work. Except for the audio drivers, which have not been released yet.

In an ironic twist, it's now windows that doesn't have working audio, instead of Linux.

Why would you install windows on something like the steam deck, why actively make it more crappy.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
People are sick :barf:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

The_Franz posted:

i guess some people really, really, really want to play fortnite on it, which epic won't allow for flimsy reasons that i'm sure have nothing to do with the rumors that tencent is making their own crappy steam deck knockoff

something about anti-cheat and not being able to ensure kernel integrity on the deck, which they obviously care greatly about considering that fortnite is not only available on android, but requires sideloading to install

I thought the fortnite fad was over long ago, I hardly ever hear about it any more.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op I play fortnite with my friends on the windows operating system, the os for people with friends

I refuse to have friends

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I refuse to jump into bed with beautiful strangers who proposition me

Same

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I had no idea that gnustep and window maker was still a thing, I guess open source projects never die, are there still distro's out there that defaults to it?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Progressive JPEG posted:

i like xfce and use thunar regularly even when running other wms

xfce is like looking into a parallel universe of what linux desktop software would be like if it wasn't designed to be as obtuse and awful as possible

I think you misspelt KDE

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Poopernickel posted:

windowmaker's website is baller as hell: https://www.windowmaker.org/

windowmaker owns, and just looking around on that website sparks long-forgotten joy

It is wonderful, I remember the first time I ever got a nextstep-like enviroment for my windows-computer back in the 90's, think it was litestep or something along those lines, it felt so cool... until it broke like 2 weeks later, those where the days.

But ever since whenever I see a nextstep-like desktop environment I get nostalgic.

Cool!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Just browse from the command line

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you know what solves this problem?

linux

Just use exFAT, solves the problem

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
China is ditching Windows in favor of Linux when it comes to government services and the like, if this is really true we could expect to see more Linux users in general in China which could have an effect on the available software for Linux and hardware compatibility which in turn could make Linux a more viable choice here in the west for people still on the fence. :china:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Jonny 290 posted:

source this quote pls

https://www.neowin.net/news/chinese-government-to-dump-windows-in-favor-of-linux/

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Wouldn't flatpak and the like solve this issue, if something really needs v.5.7.3 of a dependency for example, couldn't it just say, download 5.7.3 and don't even try to run my software with anything else.

I don't know if this is how flatpak works to be fair but that's the impression I've gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yes, flatpak lets you package up a userland including libc and run it under an arbitrary modern kernel. it's more or less a container (utilizes namespaces, etc) like docker. the major caveat is that you can't run a new glibc on an old kernel that way, but other way around is just fine.

even before the spiffy kernel features that enable flatpak and friends, you could accomplish the same goal (old glibc on a new kernel) via chroot.

Couldn't you in theory then create a flatpak-installer for the old Loki-games and other old software that hasn't been updated?

If this is the case then backwards compatibility is finally a thing and all software released today using flatpak will forever work?