Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
unity is fine once you set the launcher to auto hide and uninstall all the stupid search lenses wtf are you guys complaining about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Glass posted:

one time i did a stage1 gentoo installation

it was not worth it

why would you do a stage 1 installation? they don't even support that any more

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Glass posted:

This was like in 2005, when it was still a Thing To Do

gross

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ator posted:

http://www.gnome.org/news/2014/09/gnome-3-14-released/

it sounds so loving dumb every time she says "guh-nome"

is that the way people pronounce it? also, who the hell decided "gnu" was a good idea for a name for anything

i'm the public domain nu-jazz playing in the background

it'll never not be funny that the main gnome library is called "glib"

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
regressive bugs are a cornerstone of the linux experience

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
unity is good when you auto hide the dock thingy. i like hitting the meta (?) key and just typing what i'm looking for like a poor mans spotlight

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
today i found out that qemu can't output 1366x768 through any of its vga drivers 'cause 1366 isn't divisible by 8. good poo poo.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
when the linux kernel becomes compilable with clang and most distros have ripped out the last bits of gnu userland do you think rms will finally off himself?

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cthulhoo posted:

lmao taking a picture of linux device shitberry pie 2 makes it freeze and reboot

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99042

neat

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gnu turd

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think it might be time for my bi-annual Linux installation (got tired of win10 preview), which flavor should I try? I used arch last time at the behest of c&p but I think I might like to try something different this time

how's ubuntu doing? fedora? I've been using debian and centos for work VMs but they're really not representative of a good desktop distro

mint?

if you auto hide the launcher thingy, ubuntu is ok

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

notorious bsd is often wrong about a lot of things (like static typing being relevant for producing correct code or whatever)

but he's right about that

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
oh hey, virtualbox on linux now uses kvm as it's backend. kinda neat.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i like a good IT automation slapfight

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

2. why the gently caress is the one in themiddle wearing a "debian women" t-shirt

probably the same reason they're wearing a skirt

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i saw the 5 oclock shadow and assumed it was a utilikilt

i guess we could be looking at a former man transitioning to a woman

i mean they could be transitioning or genderfluid but they could also just be a thirsty attention-seeking simp. i'm not sure where i'm really going with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
there really is nothing wrong with ubuntu

well that's a lie but it's as good as you're going to get with Linux On The Desktop.