Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
when is the year of ubuntu on the phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol at that amarok screenshot. I see they've decided that the only button you need is pause. i guess technically that's true.

i still think 1.4 was the bomb but maybe some of that is nostalgia.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
woke up this morning and somehow linux was running on my desktop! it's a miracle 2015 truly is the year people.

had to write this on my phone 'cause the wifi isn't working yet tho

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

HOW U MANAGE SERVER WITHOUT RDP

how do u manage a windows server even with rdp ???

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

yase let me just janitor these config files....

ahahahaha

um, 2015 is the year of Linux on the desktop so you might as well get used to config file janitoring.

i can't wait to janitor config files on my phone!!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that's a gnome app? looks like early kde 4 lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
bsd you have dishonored lunix with your disingenuous screen shot for shame

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

fwiw any time I use Eclipse I end up hunting through Source, Navigate, Project menus because those distinctions are no less arbitrary

maybe computers just aren't for you man. every though about... not using a computer?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

is there any recent research on this that actually takes into account modern screen sizes and the existence of muscle memory, or is it just received wisdom from the 1980s?

because I'm hella skeptical. I can believe that flicking the mouse to the top of the screen to open a menu is very fast and efficient, but then you have to pick something from that menu and you're right back to the problem of trying to precisely hit a very small target that is not anchored to the edge of the screen any more.

and I'm pretty confident that I can consistently press Alt-F, S faster than you can pick the Save option from a menu, however much you practice. I don't even have to take my eyes off what I'm doing.

race me motherfucker

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

hah, I already pressed it. bet you haven't even finished reaching over for your mouse.

mouse? mouse?? i use a track ball like the handsome grownup computer user that i am, dummy. i bet usain bolt uses one too and he's very fast.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

lol is it 2002 in here or something?

down hill since then imvho

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

jesus christ, why do you guys think i'm so old. i'm 22. i graduated high school in 2010.

lol you can't just make up years

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
buffer underruns :argh:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
loljban

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I can only assume some sort of severe mental illness would lead you down that path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

wayland uses libxkbcommon. this is their site in 2017: https://xkbcommon.org/, and have fun with their "documentation". as far as i can tell, there is currently no way to change the keyboard model in a wayland desktop environment like gnome? at least ibus has been good for a while now and that makes layout switching super easy.

to make matters worse, a lot of x apps have in recent years apparently decided to ignore many xkb or xmodxmap settings (yes, i tried xmodmap too, after failing with xkb).

some backstory, i use a chomebook as a work laptop (the 3:2 2560x1700 monitor is worth having only 64gb ssd imo, I have my loud music and other big files on the SD card anyway), so i have to use the chomebook keyboard model to get keys like pgup/dn. this isn't anything new, all my previous laptops used Fn+keys for most all of these, however these were "hardware" keys using the Fn key so i could just use the default generic 101 key keyboard and everything worked fine

on a chomebook, i remap these keys to right alt+arrows, 1) because that is where that fn key used to be on my previous keyboard, and 2) it's also the default chomebook kb model behaviour in default xkb files, so why not just do this right?

well, no. firefox and chome ignore xkb almost entirely. qt and gtk apps appear to be aware of the xkb options, as all shortcuts work as expected. however, none of the keyboard model (home/end/pgup/dn etc combinations) functions work. the only windows where the entirety of keyboard works as expected are gnome-terminal and xterm. meanwhile, konsole is the only app that appears to ignore xkb completely, even my ctrl-winkey swap doesn't work (winkey on chomebook is where capslock used to be), and that option works everywhere else.

there's that very weird exception too: qt creator (a very good c++ ide btw) has a fakevim mode, that makes its editor window behave like vim. *all* the keys and combinations work correctly with that. why? I have absolutely zero idea. they don't work with the normal behaviour text editor, nor the rest of the ide components

poo poo's completely inconsistent. i'd have probably sold the laptop by now if qt creator and terminal wasn't literally 99% of my use.

fake edit:

always

lol why the gently caress would you do this to yourself??