Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

anyone remember kde ??
i do. it was cool, for 20 or so minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

recommend me some nice distro to do scientific spergmath on

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OldAlias posted:

probably fedora or debian. who cares. choose the distro that has the packages you want.
thanks, this sounds like good idea

edit: looks like it's, as suggested earlier, redhat indeed
there's scientific linux distro that seems have majority, that i need, and that i would maybe find troublesome to install, already prebuilt there, the rest is available and should be ok to install separately.
another candidates are suse and debian, but suse is, as far as i get it, similar to scientific linux in theory and required only at one particular place and debian is something i have used before, though not for science things

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

lmao that youre even considering suse
leading company in my field, on this continent, uses suse on everything, so i have to consider it
is it that bad? :smith:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

use fedora on your desktop, or arch if you're feeling frisky
hmm, fedora seems to be from same family as sci linux and suse et. al.
maybe i should try fedora then, i don't think that obscure file system support is something i need imminently, and i may know how to put them on my own when the time comes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i honestly spent a moment or two to try to guess what did YOLOTD stand for :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im the non-freedom-denying phone call

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.itworld.com/article/2844225/will-2015-finally-be-the-year-of-the-linux-desktop.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what is gnu turd

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

i just deployed bittorrent sync on coreos on digitalocean, and now i am my own kim dot com. except even fatter
i will ddos ouya so you pay me with vouchers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

what's unit? I installed Ubuntu, I expected Ubuntu to work, isn't Linux supposed to work well on older hardware?
no, linux of the month is red star os 3

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my favourite canonical fuckup is that their piece of cloud poo poo they had a few years down the line

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flat Daddy posted:

are you taking about ubuntu one (tm) or something else?
yes, that one

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Smythe posted:

also is this for real: there is a bluestacks client for chromeOS but not one for linux. debian nor fedora? am i reading this right?? am i gonna have2 run teh BlueStacks Windows Client in WINE ?????
yes youre hosed if you need both linux and bluestacks
got to virtualbox it or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the anime lady that brings you pockys
Nice!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

keyvin posted:

Steam for linux just recursively deleted everything owned by my user in the file hierarchy. Including the 3tb drive I use for backups.
:psylon:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fedora live cd refuses to boot from usb under kernel missing pretense
i cba, will try to linuxify my table after sleep

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yay for non-freedom-denying beer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fedora question. should i stick with default window thing or is it worth trying these extra lightweight kfc, lxda and w/e others there are
it works perfectly fine as is, im just curious if its something optimizable or not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"lightweight" is nonsense. nothing is lightweight and nothing ever has been.

if you want a fancy window system that's like windows but better, you want kde

if you want to script your poo poo in lisp try stumpwm

if you're insane try a tiling window manager. they're at least a cool stunt
alright, thanks. ill stick with whatever there is now (?gnome 3?) until something breaks :effort:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freedom-denying skype call

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

du -hast posted:

im the million skype logos on the scrub tier eyesore desktop over a somewhat ok looking WM
it's just reconstruction of eastern front

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://zacbrown.org/2015/01/18/openbsd-as-a-desktop.html

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hmm, centos for webserver and a few minor apps, or ubungu/debian/fedora/gentoo/slack ?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

debian/ubungu then, or maybe centos, learning redhat cjing wouldn't hurt

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

it's all very similar these days. debian will be getting systemd next version so may as well learn it now with centos7
oh, was not aware of that. centos for sure then

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

wait, apache and nginx are problems on centos, for personal use?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

nginx isnt on the centos repos period, you have to add the official nginx repo. and apache is poo poo never use it
nginx repo sounds like solvable problem, and uhm, time to get better at nginx i guess
last time i hosted website was in, uhm, 2005 i think, when i was running private server in mu online

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

since my apache knowledge is apparently outdated, i have question about databases too. myslq or postgresql

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hmm, i feel like hedgehog in the mist, but thankfully im doing stuff for learning as much as for something else
code:
[varnish] - [haproxy] - [nginx] - [pgpool]  - [postgresql]
seems to be okayish variant. i am certain that my stuff won't use half of the options this would provide, but it should make up for good web cjing experience

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

varnish can be a full time job unto itself. i suspect its configuration language is turing complete. if you ever need varnish, you can probably hire someone who does nothing but massage your varnish cache servers.

haproxy and nginx are handy tools in your toolbag.

i really doubt you would ever want to use haproxy/nginx at the same time as varnish. i really, really don't want to see the environment that requires that
oh, i had no idea that varnish is that serious. haproxy-nginx-pgpool-postgresql then. thanks :)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

well, as far as i have figured it out in this evening

nginx is better web server than apache (well, sort-of)
haproxy is best at load balancing
varnish is best at static caching

so, that way i came to first scheme, and then, after misunderstanding your post, i just cut varnish off it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

varnish and nginx can load balance and cache. nginx is an http server. varnish is a reverse proxy. haproxy is a proxy and a load balancer. you only need one and its nginx unless your application natively serves http (but proxy it anyway)
this all is slightly confusing now, as in why shouldn't i use caching from varnish if it does it's job better than nginx, and balancing from haproxy if does it better than nginx as well, but it starts to seem like good idea to get figure poo poo out with plain nginx first, and to do more reading on varnish/haproxy and what are the web ways of tyool 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

nginx/varnish/haproxy/apache can all load balance

you use nginx to serve static content and proxy to applications that can directly serve http or fcgi like hhvm, wsgi, go, whatever. it handles routes, gzip, ssl, error pages, header expirations etc

haproxy can proxy/lb any tcp/udp

varnish is explicitly an http reverse proxy, you cant directly serve content with it. you pretty much wont ever need it unless you have some bizarre caching needs or you're proxying something lovely like tomcat
alright, plain nginx then. thanks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this almost sounds like an ironic post

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

code:
#  Allow incoming YOSPOS connections 
-A INPUT -s yos.pos.rip -j ACCEPT

# Allow metrics to be provided YOSPOS
-A OUTPUT -d yos.pos.rip -j ACCEPT
having dumb time if this will work in ip6tables as-is

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

lol at ipv6
nah its ok, also i dont really need ip6tables fuckery, firewalld seems to do the trick

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ahmeni posted:

i had to disable it on the linode i use for ssh tunneled browsing because google by default blocks all their ipv6 traffic
hmm. can you tell me how to do so? i have linode which i would want to use similarly, amongst other things, and this seems to be a huge bummer :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for someone who hasn't cjd an awful lot of linux firewalls, firewalld seems to be more straightforward than iptables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is not distro specific. it's one sysctl. add this to /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot:
code:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

ahmeni posted:

I normally disable per interface because I've got another interface I use IPv6 poo poo for but yeah
alright, thanks :) i do not have anything ipv6-exclusive planned so i just rolled out b.s.d's fix