Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

i definitely remember sometimes being unable to kill steam on windows without restarting the whole computer

i've never really understood why this is a thing that can happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

i use fd and bat and ripgrep and fzf and lsd every day and i like them :)

akadajet posted:

yeah, but the find cli sucks. he should do git next

https://github.com/Byron/gitoxide

(i haven't actually tried this one yet though)

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 24, 2022

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Athas posted:

I guess this is why Haskell and Rust seem to be so popular for Blockchain scams.

I switched to XMonad a month ago (because I have some sort of brain disease I guess) and, having written a lot of Haskell for that, I don't really see why the appeal. Like, the theoretical stuff is fun and the language isn't really bad (and can be pretty nice), but it's been a bit unpleasant to deal with sometimes.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

i just like xmonad because i like having really complicated keybinds and stuff and i3 wasn't letting me break my computer as much as i wanted

and because the wayland compositor i tried got really snippy with me for having the audacity to have an nvidia card

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Athas posted:

It's not exactly unusual to use e.g. CUDA.

Or Windows.

i get your point but cuda does work on nix

i recently got (a version of) tensorrt working, but it was hell and i don't recommend that anyone try to replicate my results

Nix's learning curve really is a vertical cliff face, which is exacerbated by its relatively unstable CLI and its mess of poorly documented conventions, and it doesn't help that the language itself is, imo, a bit of a mess. It has a very weak type system, but the system configuration system -- one of its most major uses -- goes to great effort to bolt its own type system onto it, and this is only tangentially documented.

e: i mean, that said, i do still use it all the time

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 8, 2022

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Athas posted:

How do you get that working well? I installed Nix on our RHEL lab servers because the Nix crowd is about the only group of people actually trying to substantially improve things in Unix-land, but OpenCL and CUDA doesn't seem to just work inside of nix-shell environments that use libopencl etc. from Nix. I assume there's some kind of incompatibility with the drivers on the host.

It all works perfectly fine on my NixOS at home, but I like the fact that I can add Nix to nodes that are mostly managed by other people (which means they don't run NixOS).

Liberal use of autoPatchelfHook, mostly. I also had the same problem with running it outside of nix-shell and the solution ended up being to clear LD_LIBRARY_PATH, to which the system CUDA library directory had been appended, so maybe that'll work.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

is it just me or do some of the sentences in that article read like they were written by an ai

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

is it possible to use wayland on an nvidia gpu yet or should i go back to xmonad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

The_Franz posted:

it's been fine for a while now

i'm asking because xdg-desktop-portal-wlr keeps segfaulting when calling into libnvidia_allocator on my laptop