Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

you can make the system title bars smaller, but you can't turn them off, so things like firefox can't put the tabs in the title bar on kde

v

works for me op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

"a solution exists" ok cool that's good to know but like...can i have a hint. obviously if i was as smart as you i would've found this on my own, but i didn't

sorry, there's two things the titlebar size is dependent on two things

to change window button sizes go to system settings -> application style -> window decorations, you can click edit button on your selected theme and make them smaller

then, system settings -> fonts, you set window title font size

the titlebar size is always smallest possible to hold the buttons/window title font, so if you set both of these to tiny it *should* be quite thin, it does work like that for me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad pipewire is gonna own in 2024 when my desktop debian finally updates :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my m1 macbook to boot windows. It doesn't just work because windows sucks rear end. Any help?

for some reason microsoft decided that windows only runs as a guest OS on macbooks, i don't get it either op

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
people use vscode as a *text editor*??

then again, there's at least one user at work who uses adoben to crop their screenshots lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

I mean yeah there's probably a lot of overlap between vi users and people who are still using flipphones in 2022 when you put it like that

if i could get a small flip phone that runs a modern android i'd buy it immediately

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apparently education is using chomebooks a lot, and the biggest result of that decision is that kids come out of school not knowing what directories are because both their phones and laptops all operate on searching for everything ever lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't mean filesystem just directories in general. i've seen university profs complaining how kids can't figure out how to run a thing for homework because they can't put the homework files they got from chat next to the executables they downloaded from the school's website lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

shame this doesn’t actually work and bricks the os install

also, who would want loving automated updating of nvidia drivers in the first place. when i was still using nvidia, once i had a stable driver installed i avoided updating until a new game/browser version crashed, because updating almost always meant new bugs lol

and that's on windows, where nvidia is said to have the good drivers lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BobHoward posted:

peep dat 502.gcc_r score

(also what's not shown here is how much less energy it's using to do the benchmarked tasks)

in its avarice, apple has created the perfect gentoo machine

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the sequel to slashdot

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
good news, earth is on sale right now for a couple bucks on steam and runs great with proton

sb hermit posted:

Although I guess there may have been some win95 games that used glide. Probably one of the most notable glide games was Ultima 9. And I remember playing an n64 emulator in the real late 90s or so that only ran on glide.

carmageddon 2 was amazing on voodoo and poo poo on everything else iirc lmao
software renderer was what it was, and opengl crashed regularly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kamrat posted:

What happened to these people, Windows and Microsoft is a thousand times worse nowadays.

microsoft learned their lesson, and bought all the politicians in europe too

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i use a custom version of proton because i'm a dumbass who plays mmos and mmos are very bad and need special settings, but outside those 2 games i just have "proton experimental" default on steam and it just works(tm)

until fairly recently proton was a lot more temperamental about what works with what version, but since the experimental branch moved to 7.x about a year ago it's been insanely smooth

obviously there's still various catches, like certain anti-cheats simply not working, but that's not really an issue wine can work around without the developer's help

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Discord still not having system wide PTT support under wayland is... less than ideal.

also wayland doesn't support all the F keys higher than 12 somehow. I normally use f24 for push to talk since no other app uses that as a hotkey and it won't work under wayland. xev catches an empty event, the wayland equivalent i forgot the name of catches nothing lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

this is barely more reasonable than spacebar heating though

not supporting standard PC features is reasonable? f13-24 have been part of the pc spec for decades this isn't some arcane thing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

"CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED A BROWSER ENHANCEMENT! CLICK 'ACCEPT' TO ENTER A WORLD OF SAVINGS AND GREAT DEALS, OR 'CANCEL' TO BE A FOOL AND IGNORE THESE GREAT OFFERS!"
*goes to click 'cancel'*
*pointer suddenly appears over the 'accept' button*

javascript isn't real and can't hurt you

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

you should use a distro that isn't made by religious fanatics

doesn't that limit you to only opensuse, seeing how everything else is from amerika

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SmallWorriedNoise posted:

Every time I install Debian, I have to google this link:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

because I swear there is no way to get to it from the Debian homepage.

https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
you mean besides that fat yellow warning telling you to download the firmware tarball or iso from the link if the normal one doesn't work right, on all the download pages?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
who needs gpu acceleration when we have 5ghz cpus anyway

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, wine especially is an odd collection of software emulating an even weirder thing. if you're having trouble with it, do ps x | grep wine, there's probably a wineserver or some other poo poo still running that's waiting on something to happen, which sometimes prevents you from killing wine itself. i find "killall -9 wine wineserver winedevice.exe" works 100% reliably so far, but i'm sure there's other edge cases.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
2 ws is wide, unlimited, 3 does nothing lol

but yes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in my experience, usually when poo poo fails it's because a network's down somewhere and postfix will still deliver your message to the mailbox when it's back up, while you're python/curl script won't

that's not to say you shouldn't try sending not-mail notifications, but mail is the perfect fallback

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just enable variable refresh rate on X, too much poo poo still don't work on wayland for me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Progressive JPEG posted:

wait like what

i use x11 for synergy but thats it. theres some wdg(?) portal thing that's supposed to do the same thing for wayland eventually. once that portal thing actually exists im out
well, i haven't even gotten to testing synergy in wayland so that's good to know, my tests always end earlier than that

firstly, push to talk in pretty much anything not mumble doesn't work. i know i should just use mumble, but unfortunately some other people are dumb so sometimes i can't

wayland also has a problem with drawing on top of windows, a functionality which i use for overlays. in X it works fine with the picom compositor, with zero performance penalty. in wayland, a fullscreen window being on top means that window also has focus, which means input doesn't work in the window i need it and takes an annoying amount of configuring to reroute it. also, sometimes a transparent window on top tanks performance, which if there is a pattern to, i haven't figured it out

then there's the fact that OBS only works through pipewire plugins, which somehow tanks desktop performance to absolute poo poo. apparently, recompiling the entire pipewire stack with a dmabuf patch fixes this which lol

maybe when deb12 releases i'll try it again, but as of 6 months ago even with the latest upstream packages poo poo wasn't even remotely usable out of the box, as opposed to X11, where i only had to add a single line to some xorg.conf.d file to enable variable refresh rate and everything works now, with just stock deb11 packages

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's looks dead, latest commit was over a year ago

dunno what else people expected from a "we forked to change the name" project tbh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

Linux catching up with windows 7 I see

old apps are still regularly blurry on windows 11 wtf are you talking about lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
he just has a zero trust policy ok

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
guy is clearly either fresh outta school and never did anything outside course work

or, he worked for one of the clients i have to deal with at work :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FlapYoJacks posted:

He's in his 50s.

so the 2nd one.

one of the clients i have to work with at work are just loving amazing people. all greybeards, too. they insist on having everything run on windows, which i dislike, but fine, ok, we'll deal

a couple years ago we finally said we'd like to have a git clone directly on their server because version control via zips of code is incredibly stupid, and so far there's been a couple times we had to scramble to find the exact zip that worked on their special snowflake setup, instead of just checking out the previous working tag from git, since we don't have direct access so we can't upload files ourselves, and their stupid citrix rdp thing is often incredibly laggy too so even basic poo poo takes minutes

this lead to an 8 month back and forth, starting with "what is this git software?", and immediately following up with "what is version control software?", which really did wonders explaining why everything else there works like it does tbh

now, they sync the git repo with windows explorer, which makes it insanely slow, and also every time zip the entire loving thing to upload it to virustotal. i made them a batch file that zips only the files changed since previous sync last year, but they couldn't get it to work on their side so they're still doing this poo poo to this day afaik lmfao

they pay a shitton though :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it's the first and hopefully last windows shop we work with, but i'm just a computer toucher and when people see the $$$ they don't care lol

hopefully we'll be able to force them onto docker or something when the new framework version finally gets deployed, because support for windows is basically inexistent and there's no way they'll pay the devtime to get it to play nicely

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm gonna guess 4.14 introduced smarter fstrim/discard functionality newer ssds rely on, but maybe it's just something dumber

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://gist.github.com/moyix/95ca9a7a26a639b2322c36c7411dc3be
lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

But enough talk.
IRQ

:hmmyes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also apple's laptop might be more expensive, but for the $$ it comes with a decent screen. arm offerings are most often bottom tier horseshit that drops a 1280x800 on you lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
otoh, with nram now catching up to dram speeds, we'll probably see consumer-grade instant-on computing by the end of the decade

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
considering gnome can't even duplicate windows 1.0 features, "best" seems like the wrong word

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

non-volatile memory doesn't have the write endurance that dram does
nram, specifically, does
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nano-RAM

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
idk about reram or pram or whatever, a friend who works in hpc is ordering nram cxl modules, which is how i found out about it

it's lower theoretical bandwidth than dram, and latency isn't as good in ideal loads, but as far as real life performance goes it's roughly the same as your dimm sticks because you don't have to wait for dram refresh, and has ~20% lower power consumption

poo poo's pretty expensive right now and thus limited to hpc, but instant-on computing has been a goal for so long i can't imagine people won't try to bring prices down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tankakern posted:

lol remember active desktop

internet explorer error pages, right on your desktop lmao