Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i can't scroll up using the touchpad in linux. down works but up just scrolls down but faster.

Maximum Leader fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
its a nightmare to figure out which config files are actually used and which were deprecated at some point. esp when they aren't actually created unless you need to change something. seems so stupid

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

cool now there's a version of ubuntu that breaks away from apt-get and .deb files

did they finally realize the correct way to install apps is to drag them into the applications folder?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

it does video. audio. and networking just fine. it also has clipboard sharing. variable screen resolution. and folder sharing.

what's so bad about it :confused:

doesn't compare to something like parallels desktop, its like night and day. there is no reason to virtual box unless you are literally a third world street dog.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
mate is the worst thing ever, gnome 2 wasn't good at all. better than gnome 3, yes. but good? please, mr linux bitch. no. its loving awful.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

kalstrams posted:

recommend me some nice distro to do scientific spergmath on

red hat enterprise linux

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
its about time the mac - best linux - switch over to arm. because gently caress flash and office, we don't need that poo poo anymore. steve already showed the way by being stronlgly anti flash. we don't need tim to tell us again, we already know it.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The_Franz posted:

what's wrong with pulseaudio aside from ubuntu loving up deployment 8 years ago and it being poettering-ware which automatically causes certain spergs to have a breakdown?

sound muted at like 30% volume unless you edit config files, doesn't seem to be working great with chrome flash, volume sliders in apps (music player etc) affecting system volume instead of app volume (also fixed by config file).

lovely by default

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Progressive JPEG posted:

Wait so does that mean u can set the system volume from within html5

yes, loading a page with a html5/flash embedded video will gently caress over system volume by default.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

using which web browser/distribution?

shameful arch/chrome

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
xfs seems ok and doesn't zero byte my files. idk why anyone would bother with anything else

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
whoever keeps pushing money into canonical must be out of his mind

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
this year is not starting out great for Linux on the laptop at least, 3.18 broke my wifi

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
aren't you way more likely to pay for free poo poo like vlc and firefox on the windows store than on the general inter webs. i thought it was literally filled with poo poo

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
4gb is not enough for chrome, not even just chrome

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
gnome 2 was actually poo poo for pisshead morons. compare it to gnome3 and it looks good but so does a loving turd.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Mr Dog posted:

wasn't Windows Server Core supposed to let you admin everything using Win32 GUI applications *party like it's 1994* over DCOM *wow such secure* or some poo poo hosted within MMC?

whatever happened to that anyway

rdping to the server and doing whatever you need to do is much faster. it is there and works about half the time though.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shaggar posted:

Windows has been managed w/ RPC since NT. Server Core just removes the windowing environment. It has always worked better than Linux.

can u rdp to a server core?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
why would openbsd support gnome flawlessly but freebsd be rough?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pls

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

you are committing a crime against humanity by using that, please absolve yourself.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
is that a rhetorical question

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
kde1 is the best looking kde btw, just for looking so unix workstation businessy

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
shameful earnest post: arch linux. its the only dist that doesnt ship with a shitload of shitware loving poo poo up. it regularly breaks when you update though (as they loving all do anyway)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
at least they (probably will) warn you before an update breaks something and you dont have to compile everything. i never used gentoo though.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i have literally never ever paid for windows, nor do i know anyone who has
why would anyone do such a thing

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Smythe posted:

I bought windows 7 home at best buy

if anyone ask u : deny, deny, deny, deny. there is no proof, ur safe pal

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
"Of course 5 years from now that will be different, but 5 years from now everyone will be running free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5."

lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
maybe he is literally einstein reincarnated

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2015/03/02/dell-launches-ubuntu-loaded-machines-across-500-stores-in-latin-america/

a shitload of poor people are going to be very disappointed very soon

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I made an install for a friend's grandfather that booted into a full screen dosbox running windows 3.1 after his packard bell died.

Linux is at least good for that.

are you aware that running properitary software TAINTS the gnu/linux system??? :commissar:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pram posted:

pretty sure using an existent and supported linux distro might make more 'business' 'sense'

you wont get to call it red panda linux though. im guessing thats what its really about

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pram posted:

omg is that why the spotify client is such a massive piece of poo poo

it's much, much worse than qt

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Soricidus posted:

this is truth, the only people i know who still use non-webmail are:

1. my 90-year-old grandmother (uses thunderbird)
2. my 70-year-old aunt (uses idk whatever comes with os x)
3. anyone with a job at a proper company run by successful adults (uses outlook)

you forgot the jobs at companies ran by complete idiots (lotus notes)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
at the doctors office:

"my eye is swollen shut"

"take off your pants and lay down on your side with your legs pulled up"

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

group policies has been around since forever man

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what are the chances of having a tv if you dont have a computer?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

what about mac os x, the shittiest of unixes

stick to your loving primitive Linux, rear end in a top hat. gently caress you

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
free as in bullshit trash for poors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014