Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

god i hope this is a riff on pram's joke

If not, can't help idiocy.

Lol, PC-BSD != Linux

PC-BSD != good BSD

It's just poo poo. Install FreeBSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

jk its autism

A literally true answer

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Mr Dog posted:

I appreciate what the GNOME devs do and I use the result of their efforts every single day.

I'll definitely buy Matthias Clasen a drink or two if I ever run into him irl

I appreciate what GTK2 and GTK3 devs did/do, but I don't use the gnome desktop. A window manager is plenty for me and it feels wonderful to not be guided by the direction of an organization, at least entirely.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

lol bsd is a backup janitor

It's good for some applications (I don't mean application in the software sense, I mean the literal english meaning of the word application), and honestly nothing can beat OpenBSD at some of those niches, but those niches are so small, so underused, and so... why.. that talking about BSD as if it's a primary OS is loving hilarious.

I mean I literally tried to run FreeBSD as my main coding OS, but it was terrible. Absolutely awful. I went back to Gentoo and soon found myself not shooting myself in the foot everytime I wanted to compile something. Still, no gcc was cool even though gcc is better, I liked different output when compiling

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

bobbilljim posted:

when i click on a usb stick from the xfce taskbar file opener doodad, it tries to open teh usb stick in gedit :dogbutton:

Maybe you should just manually mount your external drives and this wouldn't happen - and as an added bonus, you would actually know what's going on as far as where it's mounted specifically on your file system tree.

I mean seriously, you even get to specify the dir it's mounted in and it's one command. Then you can just cd to the dir and ls/launch your file browser from shell (depending on preference), or if you really are just too awesome for a command line, after mounting it you could just open a file browser and navigate to the dir you mounted it in.

The method where you stay in the command line is probably the fastest, though.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I wish someone had mounted your account read only.

We can't all have it easy

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Last Chance posted:

ive always wondered if the vast difference between the written languages is responsible for what we perceive to be poo poo UI when it might be fine in japanese

That is a fair point and I've never even thought of that before.

But I'm going to go with Japan (not people of the Japanese race, the culture of the country of Japan) likes lots of weird poo poo that is the complete opposite of what the entire rest of the world likes, and because they have such a unique culture that is known for not giving a gently caress about anyone else, they simply don't give a gently caress about anyone else as long as they can monetize and have bankrolls of ¥en.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

ruby idiot railed posted:

*uses experimental bleeding edge release*
*complains*

Don't forget the part before that, where they ask why all the software on linux is so old

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

eventually mallocs all core storage

eventually mucks all critical systems

ruby idiot railed posted:

*installs gentoo arch funroll loops linux*

Seeing as I have participated in multiple decade old jokes, I can't make a joke about you using a decade old reference, but really, Gentoo is the best way to escape systemd entirely. Gentoo and Funtoo (among a few others) are some of the only popular(ish, in the case of Funtoo) distros that don't push systemd on you. You can be entirely systemd free with eudev and openrc.

Not trying to provoke a systemd war (and don't quote me and start talking about how poo poo or good systemd is in relation to my post because I don't care), simply responding to your context of freezing systemd and then applying security patches. You don't need to worry about freezing and applying patches when you forgo it entirely and just keep another init system/daemon manager updated.

nosl fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 13, 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

anyone who uses gentoo is an idiotic masochist anyway

Sounds like me

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
I mean you can install different init on any distro it's just the most practical distro for both servers and desktops that condones not using systemd as an official way of installing is Gentoo. Compiling kind of takes out the 'practical for anything,' though, so it's kind of irrelevant.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

nosl posted:

Compiling kind of takes out the 'practical for anything,' though, so it's kind of irrelevant.

Captain Foo posted:

gentoo isn't practical for anything

You aren't very bright are you? Or do you like just repeating poo poo for fun

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Captain Foo posted:

who the gently caress reads posts, idiot

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
lol we are still having this argument in 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Suspicious Dish posted:

remembers when mandrake was a lovely red hat clone and didnt even bother to remove the red hat logos from the cd

The funny part is, Mandriva was a lovely Mandrake clone and still felt like a lovely RHEL clone. No loss.

I despise RHEL but I'm pretty sure that when someone wants to use a distro with RHEL ancestry, they will just use RHEL. Even dumbass IT departments can use RHEL with their paid tech support. Just imagine their loving phonecalls.

"Yeah, I see the dollar bill sign, now what"

poo poo.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

no one said it was bad other than a bunch of moronic spergs

It used to be really bad about 2-3 years ago. It's gotten a lot better, but I don't like how it's starting to have its own 'sudo,' for lack of a better term, and I don't like how it's taking over every part of every distro, but eh, whatever, I'm typing this from an Arch install so I'm a hypocrite at the moment for saying anything bad becuase it boots faster than my OpenRC Gentoo machine, starting and stopping services actually works now, and systemd has come a long way.

I just don't want Linux turning into GNU/systemd/linux. That would be terrible. But I've gone from hating systemd to thinking it's quite alright, but I like Linux for options. I like that if systemd starts sucking, I can install OpenRC (my favorite init, flame away, I know it's poo poo) and enjoy my slowass boot times and my preferred syntax.

But to get back to the original topic, systemd did used to suck a bag of dicks. It wouldn't enable/disable, stop/start processes on a server I was using (debian), and anytime I tried to send a sigterm to the PID of the daemon running, systemd overwrote it (even with sudo on the sigterm), manually or with htop. It basically hijacks permissions and doesn't let you stop/start poo poo without using systemd, which is actually great to stop newbs from messing poo poo up, but awful when it stops responding. Thankfully, that issue has been (at least mainly?) addressed.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

The machine is currently not in use as I am not in the physical location, and when I return I don't know what I'll install. I don't care for Ubuntu, I don't care for RHEL spinoffs, I don't care for Debian (but prefer it the most of the previously mentioned), and I just love the customization that comes with the rolling distros, but they're impractical. Now that I actually do real work, Arch hardly cuts it for when I'm on vacation on my laptop (right now).

Tankakern posted:

lol u use openrc on gentoo

eselect profile set 12 and get on with systemd

Even when I toss Gentoo, I'm still probably going to install OpenRC on that machine. I like it. It's just personal preference. That's what Linux is about, choice. You can use KDE, or you can use a tty and tmux. You can use openbox or you can use gnome. You can ssh into your computer and use ttys with tmux and never physically access it. It's your choice. Just like it's your choice to use whatever init you drat well please.

Don't take this as me dissing systemd though. Like I said it's come a long way, it's objectively faster by a long shot, and I'm starting to like it.

nosl fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 18, 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

like wtf openrc? do you actually install some unorthodox init system on whatever poo poo distro you're using.. wtf is wrong with you

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with all of us considering we are using Linux

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

bobbilljim posted:

Linux is working OK on my desktop in 2015. mint xfce

Do they have their own repos and stuff now, or is it still basically Ubuntu reskin?

I remember using Mint YEARS ago and I quite enjoyed it, but it's been so long.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

crazypenguin posted:

okay, so I've looked at xdg-app a bit more, instead of doing real work. I'm more convinced it's a good idea, but it still has a couple critical flaws.

First, this is a system for writing sandboxed "gnome apps" or "steamos apps" not for writing "linux apps". Or at least, this is the only way the runtime approach doesn't become a clusterfuck. I imagine there'll probably be only like 3-6 major runtimes (prob. steam, rh, ubuntu, gnome, kde in decreasing order of my expectation that they'll actually succeed at maintaining ABI compatibility)

however, writing "gnome apps" will be like writing "android apps" in the sense that this is very very much not writing ordinary linux programs. the xdg-app devs talk about firefox and libreoffice in their high-level future examples, but I don't think these apps will ever fit well into the runtime model. possibly they could be forced to fit in, but nobody will be happy and there will be more unruly things, like python or sublime text and so on that still refuse to fit. These app developers don't want to be put into the position of "oh, now you have to choose sides in the desktop wars, pick the gnome runtime its the only sensible choice you heretic." So instead of vendors providing apps that work on any distro, it'll be gnome devs wrapping firefox for the gnome runtime, so you can install it in yet another still not from the vendor way that's pretty much a distro within another distro.

however, I think it'll be a great system for, like, linus's dive log program or i dunno, evemon. just pick gnome runtime who cares and boom, it works on all distros. great.

Second, I think bind mounting custom /usr for the runtimes is a technically inferior approach compared to using rpath together with libraries that aren't broken (due to absolute paths.) It solves the problem just as well, and it's adaptable to making it possible to install "linux apps" from vendors regardless of distro in a much more general and useful way than the runtime concept.

it also makes my life easier as a developer, as I can much more easily develop against versions of libraries are aren't installed system-wide

lol

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Sauer posted:

gentle caresses are ignored and i like to treat the track pad like a like new lover each time rather than an old biddy i've been with for years.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha best comment on YOSPOS 2015.

-------

Hopefully Wayland gets better with touchpad recognition and stuff. Something that comes to mind in this instance is early systemd, it sucked cocks but people still forced it on people. Now it no longer sucks cocks but people pretend it does (lol). Now it's Wayland's turn to suck for a little bit, get forced on everyone, and stop being bad.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

b0red posted:

auto monitor detection? no thanks, I prefer to manually use xrandr myself.

xrandr? no thanks, I prefer to manually write my own xrandr replacement in lisp myself.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

has endless saved the world yet by selling crappy linux desktops to peasants

that triple entendre with 'peasants'

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

my stepdads beer posted:

Worthless, linux-illiterate, self proclaimed 'techie,'-wannabe NEET who just installed ubuntu spotted

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

The irony is, the same lack of organization and corporate fuckery (well, okay, Redhat basically is corporate fuckery that contributes to most of the Linux Kernel, but it's nowhere near the corporate fuckery of Microsoft and Apple) that allowed Microsoft to go about spreading blatantly untrue disinformation campaigns and attempt to sue whatever Linux Foundation or RHEL entity that they sued, also allows them to now build their own distro without being entirely shut down.

Not being a blaring hypocrite like microsoft, I see no problem with them doing this and don't feel like they need to be singled out legally. However, culturally? ROFL. Microsoft is a loving joke.

If only the following syntax worked to remove their existence from the world as a whole...

code:
emerge --deselect=y microsoft && emerge -ac

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Dennis Ritchie's deskterp tho

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Lol

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

xterm: for when you absolutely, positively, gotta have a bitmap font in 2015

termite: for when bloat doesn't matter because your system has more than 1GB RAM because it's 2015.

oh to the other guy

iterm2 is a better term for macbook. It's beyond me as to why you'd run an x server just to run xterm on a retina macbook.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

carry on then posted:

do you not get the concept of a joke or something?

Joke?

:shrug:
:confused:

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
What is with the blote on packages nowadays?

To take a smaller package for example, ncurses, took 1 min 4 seconds to compile on Oct 2014 with an i5 2500k, now takes 1 min 20 seconds to compile today on an i7 4790k.

Do developers just not give a poo poo?

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
Thanks, I almost forgot where I was posting.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Barnyard Protein posted:

what if that extra 16 seconds it took to compile was because it was optimizing ncurses to run 16 seconds faster?

makes u think

16 extra seconds even though it compiled 16 seconds faster on a 2500k than it did a year later on a 4790k was the point

how do you manage to manage servers while missing blatantly obvious details like that

makes u think

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
I'm just spergin on Gentoo because it feels like a viable home use hobbyist distro, also capable of supporting my sporadic dev needs while not being a piece of broken, vulnerable poo poo maintained by hipsters. I've used this distro for half a decade distro now, the baby duck is real.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

bobbilljim posted:

16 seconds

is there nothing else in your life

my compile flags are quite normal and not riced

I don't often do a system update unless it's been a few months, and just upgrade important packages until then. The only reason I checked the difference was because I installed a brand new processor that is supposedly twice as fast at compiling. While this is apparent for larger packages blatantly, smaller ones seem to have no major difference.

I wasn't trying to divert the ambiguous nonexistent topic, sorry for ruining your day man. Next time I'll just cut my dick off and install Ubuntu while listening to boy bands through mpd before I even consider posting something related to linux on the linux thread.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

bobbilljim posted:

finally, if you want to compile poo poo arch linux is a good distro. there's no reason to use gentoo

Mr Dog posted:

Use arch

If you must be a sperg then at least don't pointlessly waste your time in the process

nosl posted:

while not being a piece of broken, vulnerable poo poo maintained by hipsters.

Nice try

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

what is the point of steam os now that windows 8 and the windows app store are dead

I think to get people on their autist 'I still like games but LINUCKZ IS SO MCH BTTAR THN WIND0ze GUYZ' phase to keep buying games before eating a few bad ports and realizing that 99% of videogames are bad.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

lol

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
gently caress it

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
triggerwarning.sh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Mr Dog posted:

even though virtual desktops were a thing long before osx's implementation.

Retard billy bob on the street with his new macbook doesn't know that, so they would still be able to sue and get redhat to settle for multiple millions out of court. I love freedom(tm). It encourages progress(tm)