Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

I am not kidding when I say that this shaved 4 seconds of startup time on some of our computers at Endless. Rotary disks are loving slow, man.

You're shipping new devices in 2015 with spinning disks? So much for caring about usability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes. What do you recommend we use instead? SSDs which would bump the base BOM price from $200 to $300 at least? eMMC / SD card storage, like the solution the $160 model uses?

Unless you're getting the HDs for free as factory castoffs, small capacity SSDs shouldn't add more than $20.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eschaton posted:

and how much would a 500GB SSD add? that's what the $200 model includes. I think it just might increase the BoM a bit more than that.

Thanks to things called "the cloud" and "streaming", I've gotten by with a 128 GB SSD on my laptop for ballpark five years, with 30-40 GB consumed by VMs and typically tens more gigabytes free. A base model device running Linux could easily ship with a 64 GB drive and never run out of space for typical users. (Windows is a different story, years of service packs & security updates in)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soricidus posted:

indeed, this device designed for people who do not have fast cheap permanent internet connections doesn't need storage because they can just rely on "the cloud" and "streaming"

If they don't have internet they won't be pirating games or movies and probably they won't fill space with 30 gigapixel images from their thousand dollar cameras either.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Dog posted:

other than that though, imagine apt and dpkg, except lightning fast. and instead of using apt-get for some thing, apt-cache for others, and dpkg for other poo poo you just use one command.
Try "apt". (It could be faster with indexing, but hey, that takes time to build too)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BobHoward posted:

it disqualified itself on a different level. no amount of turning 'desktop effects' off can make that ui design good

e: it has been like a decade or w/e since i last saw a kde, so the shock was considerable. i wasn't prepared :gonk:

On a positive note, they added search to all their settings control panels to make up for the nonsensical arrangement of everything.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If he'd said packagekit, on the other hand... At least 2-3 times a month I'll come back after a weekend and my work PC will be in swap hell due to "this" (or this) ... No root cause found, everybody just kills it and carries on ... although I may have uninstalled it myself after the last time, too.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 26, 2015

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After reading some blog post where all of KDE/Plasma 5's major failings were blamed on distros sucking at getting bug fixes to users, I did some research on the alternatives to get current version packages and found myself installing Gentoo in a Hyper-V VM to screw around.

Since apparently ityool 2016 they don't believe in scripted installers lest you foolishly expect to just pick some packages and step away without watching the compiler output and lots of little details are busted like dependencies and their default "same as the live CD" kernel config actually not being the same (it was very conveniently missing all the Hyper-V drivers), it only took me a week or so of 15-60 minutes per night to complete the install.

The funny thing is that the end result in a VM actually is far more responsive than the native KDE5 I'm using on a Debian stretch dev PC...

I didn't even unroll the loops!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Dog posted:

The distro you appear to be looking for is Arch, not Gentoo, btw.

There is a case to be made for not having an installer. Probably not that good a case, but a case nonetheless. The case being that you already have tools for partitioning your disk, installing software packages, and configuring a bootloader, so why create a second crippled set of tools you only ever use once.

That's once per install, not once ever, unless you make your installation so traumatic that normal people duplicate master images from ten years ago to avoid ever doing it again. (I'm an embedded guy these days, clearly not normal, whatever)

Re: Arch, only maybe. I used Gentoo in the early 2000s and knew by methodology it would give me an environment capable of building KDE stuff from source since I have a few pet issues I want to address now that I've finally given up on GTK-based stuff forever. Arch felt like more learning and less of a sure thing.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's not like half the posters in the Android thread have used Android or half the posters in the security thread know the first thing about security, why hold this thread to a higher standard?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadowHawk posted:

To respond to this from a while back:

I'd say I was doing it for the cause but that wouldn't square away with participation dropping through the floor once I had a job I liked.

The traditional argument says GPL is the license for people who want to get paid to write software, BSD is the license for people who already are/were.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

maybe it will make sense when i say that "fedora is an operating system that you can install" was an extremely controversial statement inside the fedora community and red hat

1) No GNU 2) No Linux 3) Distribution? 4) Which

Deservedly so!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's forums that are utter crap, look at how stupid SA is these days. Every single megathread should properly be a newsgroup.

Mailing lists with public archives are basically newsgroups with way shittier tooling and delivery largely thanks to the technical problems presented by spam plus the fact that nobody has tried to do anything to advance/replace Usenet excepting pirates in the last fifteen years.

We cope, but...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Being a forum hater I turned avs and sigs off ten years ago and never looked back.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pseudorandom name posted:

why do you even want xattrs in the initramfs?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I thought by changing to KDE and never using GNOME apps I'd be safe from GNOME stupidity, unfortunately I was wrong.

It seems a recent-ish GTK update on my main system has made the file chooser (which I have to use in certain surviving GTK apps) stupider.

They removed the perfectly usable typeahead autocomplete and replaced it with a "user friendly" typeahead recursive search which doesn't do what you would expect in the clearly unheard of and unanticipated multiple match case.

Who would want to get to ~/src/ by typing "src" from the home folder, with or without a trailing slash, anyway?

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=748672 is surprisingly flame free, possibly because so few users are left / run anything vaguely recent. Unless there's a separate "whine" bug elsewhere...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Further examination reveals some meltdowns over the same change in Nautilus a couple years back, with Ubuntu going so far as eventually reverting the change outright at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1164016

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

also i should probably stop talking in this thread because i think at this point im officially done with linux and desktops and linux desktops

Endless already went under?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BobHoward posted:

it isn't necessary to encode bus/slot/etc garbage into a name to get this, linux inexplicably failed to copy or independently recreate the obvious solution apple has used since 2001

nics have a globally unique identifier built in, the mac addr. apple just uses it as an index into a configuration db. when the system discovers a nic it has never seen before it makes a db entry and assigns it a name (eg en0, en1 already exist in the db? ok new one is en2). bam consistent names regardless of boot discovery order and you can move your nic from one pcie slot to another without breaking loving everything

Perhaps this approach is patented?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
His original rebranding from Havoc Pennington to Lennart Poettering didn't really work.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And even after you get your six month old snapshot, you have to account for volunteer maintainers from Debian who disappear for three years at a stretch but don't orphan their packages so someone else can take over without stepping on toes.

This is one of several that I've had to work around as someone who distributes a Debian-based internal developer image:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=731634

(Ubuntu ships the old version too)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did a Gentoo install a few months back (ref: my posts in this thread) and junked it after a few weeks of fooling around with setting up my dev environment because the project's documentation/website/wiki/everything is now impossibly out of date, you really can't tell what's remotely current and what isn't, what the authoritative source of an answer is for anything, nor get the slightest insight into what best practices are for customizing your package overrides, and you have to do that heavily because approximately nothing has been pushed into stable in the last 3-4 years. Gentoo's just a disorganized mess of abandoned initiatives with nobody cleaning up after the dead ones. Insiders presumably know what's up, but it's too much effort to become one IMO.

I'm sure you could ask questions in IRC and get reasonable answers, but I'm more into googling, dismissing bad-looking answers from neophytes, and figuring it out myself than joining a coffee klatch to discuss sysadmin basics with said neophytes.

I'm not sure how Arch compares, I gather their install is also several hours of bash command paint by numbers -perhaps they have the manpower and leadership to better keep things together on the doc side?

Realistically there's very little reason to venture out of Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/RedHat.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Dog posted:

there is nothing wrong with bash in interactive use and it exists on virtually all linux systems whose command lines ever get interacted with

zsh is dumb bullshit for ricers who have nothing better to do with their time

now, if you find yourself writing a bash script, then don't. write a python script. the minute you find yourself looking up how to do a conditional in bash, stop. if you are looking up how to define a function in bash then it is already too late zalgotext zalgotext

Thus spoke a man who doesn't appreciate context-aware shell command autocomplete for those things that perhaps you should've scripted or documented but never quite got around to.

(Not a zsh exclusive, not a zsh user)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

Bash has context aware autocomplete.

It's really not the same, I didn't spell it out - autocomplete derived from your command history, with some degree of pwd-awareness in its suggestions (ie, it leans toward commands you frequently run when in any given directory). All I know is I get a few "wait, what the heck is that?" adopters every year from the people who see it while I'm showing them something unrelated without being an annoying evangelist.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here's a ~30s video that shows the behaviour I mean slightly without some doofus talking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcRthJy6Vc ... the prompt is riced, the rest is out of the box.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm sure the joke is already stale as heck but I got around to trying Linux on the Win10 desktop tonight and it seems semi-credible.

I didn't really put it through its paces but I doubt I'll ever install Cygwin again.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I thought I'd try a Ubuntu 17.04 beta LiveCD tonight on my Windows laptop (some manner of Asus ZenBook with a high DPI screen) just to see how the hardware support was looking.

Booted well enough, but the network experience was a little lackluster compared to all previous experience with these LiveCDs, going back to 2004 or so. It seems Ubuntu is using systemd-resolved and systemd-timesyncd these days (since 2016.10?) and have failed to provide any manner of fallback for what I think is one of the most likely non-developer use cases:

1) I said this was a Windows system. Windows stores local time to the hwclock, not UTC.
2) The LiveCD sets system time from the hwclock, assuming UTC.
3) systemd-resolved is set to perform DNSSEC validation.
4) Every page you access in a browser that provides DNSSEC info (that's a fair chunk of the web, these days) fails to load due to DNSSEC failures.
5) Every fairly official NTP server it (or you) might try to access definitely does provide DNSSEC validated answers and thus doesn't resolve, failing to update the clock.
6) If you change /etc/resolve.conf to route around this local resolution failure, too bad, systemd-timesyncd still seems to use systemd-resolved (unconfirmed, maybe it just didn't​ try to update while I had done that and was trying to figure out what I could run on Ubuntu without ntpdate present to do the update)

So, really, to fix this problem, you must realize (without Google) that it's all broken because your time zone defaulted to UTC and that your "correct" clock is wrong and lower yourself to manually fixing the time to some inaccurate "close enough" value. Good luck with that, anyone who doesn't already know all about DNSSEC.

(A hardcoded fallback IP for the default NTP server would be sensible, but no..... Or perhaps they could fallback on setting the clock the way I think Chromebooks do, by trusting the time on a https server that matches a given hardcoded certificate)

Anyway, I assume 16.10 shipped this way, too, but I sure didn't get any hits during a couple minutes of looking for other people who encountered the same problem - possibly my terminology since I actually understand what happened.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tankakern posted:

sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

This doesn't actually set the clock though, you still need to manually change it (and/or remember the command to set the time from the hwclock).

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is that other guy in the thread who actively contributed to the ruination of GNOME...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VikingofRock posted:

"its" being the only possessive without an apostrophe is really stupid. Both the contraction for "it is" and the possessive of "it" should be "it's", and context can tell them apart. Whoever came up with that rule was a dingus

his (or yours and theirs, if you prefer)

James Baud fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 24, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eschaton posted:

can't wait for someone to recompile their car with sysv init to avoid systemd

As if it's on a tech stack that new.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd consider taking over maintenance of gedit. Mind you, I'd start by rolling back every UI change since gnome2.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still can't get over how badly GNOME 2 got screwed up by people who thought anyone wanted their desktop experience to be touch friendly, or whatever they thought.

I can't even use MATE any more because they shifted to GTK3 and got things like:
- the abomination of a file chooser with brilliant design decision of dropping path completion from type-ahead search unless you prefixed everything with "./". And there's something else, but I've forgotten in the intervening year.
- gnome3-UI for gconf-editor, dconf-editor, or whatever, which recently went from just being gross window controls to "you used to like browsing for these settings you kinda know the feel of because you've been tweaking them every fresh install for fifteen years? screw you, we'll break browsing so you need to google for their locations".

(I actually was a pretty active GNOME contributor for a few years way back when.)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The last time I used (desktop) Linux and wifi together was when my NIC's manufacturer refused to update their binary driver for the 2.4 kernel. The tooling at the time? Ouch. VMs from then on, and I really feel like I didn't miss much. Things must actually work these days, given Android can typically join a network?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of not a sound, does audio even work in non-Mac BSDs? I feel like that was a problem the last time I tried installing FreeBSD, circa 2000.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

17 years ago audio might have been an issue yes

In 1999, Cameron Grant rewrote the sound system for FreeBSD 4.0 (his new driver was referred to as "newpcm" at the time) and later on imported his work to sys/dev/pcm and announced the change on the FreeBSD current mailing list. This superceded Luigis pcm driver and it was removed from the tree a month later. Camerons newpcm code used the newbus interface and supported a great deal of hardware. Not long after the import of newpcm, the sound code was moved again. This time it ended up in sys/dev/sound, which also is the current location of all code belonging to the FreeBSD sound system. In the following years many things changed in the sound area. The amount of drivers for different hardware chips increased dramatically (especially for PCI and USB devices) and many improvements were made to the sound infrastructure, much thanks to Cameron Grant and Orion Hodson. Cameron passed away in 2005, which was a major loss for the FreeBSD community.

Ariff Abdullah took over the maintainership of the pcm code in FreeBSD in 2005 and other individuals are taking care of the sound device drivers. Since then we've seen some dramatic changes in sound support [... talk about some of the new stuff here].

Looks like the FreeBSD wiki documentation is kept as current as anyone else's.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I dunno, hardware driver support for whatever you had lying around was always an adventure back in those days, even in Linux. Still can be, but in the regression sense rather than "totally unsupported" one.

Added bonus of "active transition between two sound cores"? Yeah, pretty likely totally busted.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Coming from an embedded background, here's a piece on LTS kernels that I can really appreciate. It took years to sell basing on these and more years to actually make the shift, but it's all easily worth it.

(With 4.4 getting six years of support, should be a no-brainer for laggards -- two years of "LTS" really wasn't enough to move the needle until it became obvious that 2.6.32 got a substantially longer life than that due to all the LTS linux distros that used it)

http://wtarreau.blogspot.ca/2017/11/look-back-to-end-of-life-lts-kernel-310.html

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As 2017 draws to a close, it's been 6.66 years since GNOME 3 was first released.

And with Ubuntu even recently being so bold as to fold Unity into being a GNOME skin, a reasonable person might think "hey, this software you hated in 2011, 2012, and 2014 ... it probably is more mature now".

Two weeks of GNOME 3 later, which ended this afternoon after it crashed me back to the login screen for the third time of the day (and I know from previous experience to avoid the folly of gnome-shell extensions) ... In a word:

Nope!

I'd been trying to use KDE in 2017 but I accidentally picked my MATE session instead and I think I'm in love all over again. It was my palpable relief that made that decision for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hmm, me in the summer after taking the better part of a year off work:

James Baud posted:

I still can't get over how badly GNOME 2 got screwed up by people who thought anyone wanted their desktop experience to be touch friendly, or whatever they thought.

I can't even use MATE any more because they shifted to GTK3 and got things like:
- the abomination of a file chooser with brilliant design decision of dropping path completion from type-ahead search unless you prefixed everything with "./". And there's something else, but I've forgotten in the intervening year.
- gnome3-UI for gconf-editor, dconf-editor, or whatever, which recently went from just being gross window controls to "you used to like browsing for these settings you kinda know the feel of because you've been tweaking them every fresh install for fifteen years? screw you, we'll break browsing so you need to google for their locations".

(I actually was a pretty active GNOME contributor for a few years way back when.)

Are those stormclouds in my happy place?