Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Lysidas posted:

and you can just keep using windows 10 unactivated indefinitely, iirc it just says "not activated" in the bottom right corner of the screen and stops you from changing the desktop background

^this

windows 10 is free software; if you pay for it, you are probably supporting piracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
install the gnome tweak tool and uncheck the "gently caress everything up" box

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

a qr code... which is really useful

:magemage:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmbo trolling aside can you imagine if someone seriously recommended running linux on bare metal in 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wrap it up, x86_64 linux failures, the future is here: https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/my-progress-on-real-risc-v-hardware/10963/31

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
every thread is the Linux thread if u believe in ureself

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Gentoo is actually pretty good

:thunk:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

finally......the year of Linux on the desktop is here

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
stolen from gbs. which one of you was this?

Ibexaz posted:

I was in the bathroom at the math building cleaning the gunk off a fresh tattoo that covers a good chunk of my arm. Some guy walks in and starts chatting with me about it sayin stuff like "Ah bro fresh ink?? Nice bro did it hurt at all? Yeah it can sting bro I like those lines though real good work bro. First one? Niiice welcome to the club bro! How long did it take? Six hours? Wow you must sit real good, I almost tapped out of mine. Check it out" and he rolled up his shirt sleeve and flexed and he had the word Ubuntu written in cursive on his inner bicep

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 15, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
tfw when linuxers unironically defend using vim in 2021 while also complaining that windows 10 is too hard to understand

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

eschaton posted:

I’ve run a relatively recent emacs quite happily on 25MHz 68040 systems with only tens of megabytes of RAM

try that with VS Code

sure vi requires even fewer resources but so does ed and I’m not exactly going to use that day to day either

:goofy:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

When I started my current job, the way to create a new user was to run Firefox on a remote server via X11 to open a cgi page that, for security reasons, only answered on localhost. There, you would create the user, the system would set a random password, and you'd note those details by hand on a piece of paper, and hand it to the user.

That was five years ago. The cgi-bin script put the password into NIS, Active Directory (via ssh to a cygwin sshd on a Windows server 2008 R2 machine., and Samba.

I don't know why I wrote all this, it's kind of traumatic tbh.

Anyway, don't do that.

:staredog:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just lmao imagining having strong feelings about filesystems

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just use a modern language like python, op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://mobile.twitter.com/caraesten/status/1449129418710937600

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mycophobia posted:

gently caress it i installed gnome. whats the worst that could happen

you've already arrived at "the worst that could happen" by installing gnome

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Nomnom Cookie posted:

imagine linking firefox so many times per day that 10 seconds vs 2 seconds is a noticeable difference. what a miserable life that would be

don’t linkshame!!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

sb hermit posted:

Surely, this year will be when linux finally gets a reasonably useful desktop for gnome

let’s not go crazy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
maybe in another decade it will have the ootb functionality of gnome2!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
drat you, linux kids! :argh:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“you know, this linux poo poo is kind of a pain, maybe I should just buy a mac” is one of the most sensible things I’ve read in yospos

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just loling at the thought of some nerd unironically using kate

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
clearly linux can appeal to the zoomers by getting rid of the antiquated filesystem metaphor and doubling down on using y and d to copy and cut text

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Munich, 1938: the French and British governments give hitler permission to occupy the German-speaking areas of Czechoslovakia

Munich, 2004: the Munich municipal government decides to use Linux

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“my desktop compositor doesn’t support the 23rd function key” —statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op I play fortnite with my friends on the windows operating system, the os for people with friends

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
gonna need 8k to see those subtitles super clearly

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“only tux could go to china”

also, because Linux is free as in speech beer I look forward to it toppling the authoritarian regimes in both countries :cheers:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
unwinding after a long day by reading email reports about my scheduled computer tasks

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op if your computer is connected to the internet it should fetch the proper drivers from windows update when you plug it in

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

you could at least sort-of run GNOME on a linuxphone and get something useful done with it.

:thunk: hmmmmmmmm

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

Jokes on you I only run systemd Linux there was nothing to steal to begin with, it was all a honeypot to expose the old codgers

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://jayfax.neocities.org/mediocrity/gnome-has-no-thumbnails-in-the-file-picker.html

peep thos thumbnails

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://github.com/ggandor/leap.nvim

this is the future vim users want and its disgusting

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I’m going to set my console to use times new Roman and there’s nothing any of you can do to stop me

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
never mind I want this one now: https://en.maisfontes.com/times-new-roman-locust.font?utm_source=similar

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
oh no, what will all of the people running netbsd on a *checks wiki* motorola 68k do?:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

m68k is a fine enough architecture for a lot of things still

like me pooping on it