Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

that's insane

sprintf problems are so old that even 20 year old static code analysis checkers will detect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

"it seemed like a good idea at the time" might as well be the subtitle for all of programming

If it fulfills the requirements then ship it.

Which is why security in solid concepts like type enforcement and coding standards (which is why companies like ldra will always make tons of dough) are clearly written into modern contracts because otherwise you could just ship crap that works but is vulnerable to all kinds of already-solved bugs.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

Incidentally there's a really good article I read about Mesa's NIR compiler that I read a while ago:

https://www.jlekstrand.net/jason/blog/2022/01/in-defense-of-nir/

pro click

really interesting to see how differing requirements between code compilers and gpu compilers can make your own custom compiler more viable

also, when the compilers and drivers are developed in such a quick cadence, it really helps to align release schedules

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

perhaps ... all software ... is a POS

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The_Franz posted:

one of the red hat guys did a good writeup on this

tempered expectations in the near term, but still a very good thing going forward

So it makes sense that this mostly targets compute, rather than graphics, in order to beef up security for stuff like (what I'm guessing is) high security production AI or data processing.

Also, this means that nvidia will not provide better support for older chipsets.

Still, I'll take this over the alternative, which is downloading a binary driver. Unfortunately, it means that there'll probably be a lot of work needed to get the display stuff working.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess that means I won't be switching to F36 if nvidia is still a steaming pile.

Graphics issues were the only reason why I switched from fedora in the first place.

maybe I'll try rocky linux on my desktop

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

chromebooks seem pretty solid

if intel just released some drat discrete graphics chipsets then honestly they could make at least a nickel or two

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

or, y'know, nvidia could just give the nouveau team all the needed info without reverse engineering and they'd probably do it for free and even better and compatible with modern APIs. Which is probably what they're doing right now anyway

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kamrat posted:

China is ditching Windows in favor of Linux when it comes to government services and the like, if this is really true we could expect to see more Linux users in general in China which could have an effect on the available software for Linux and hardware compatibility which in turn could make Linux a more viable choice here in the west for people still on the fence. :china:

china is already making inroads into their own consumer hardware with riscV, which will likely lock in Linux support

https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/09/china_homegrown_chips/

Russia is also making their own hardware and linux (although they are still using ARM, maybe they have a riscV group too)

https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/10/baikall_iru_arm_pcs/

But riscV is also being explored in Europe as well. Not like Windows has ever had any supercomputer wins lately, but riscV precludes use of Windows more or less

https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/22/first_riscv_epi_chip/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I, for one, am happy that Intel is embracing riscV instead of the 2000s microsoft take (where ballmer called linux a cancer)

https://riscv.org/blog/2022/02/intel-corporation-makes-deep-investment-in-risc-v-community-to-accelerate-innovation-in-open-computing/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

go play outside Skyler posted:

is qt with C++ or whatever mess GTK is still considered the best way to make a gui application in windows?

people keep forgetting that microsoft became what it is not because of some random love from execs, but because they made it super easy for developers to write apps and become vendor locked-in.

they made a good product in Office and etc but they couldn't help themselves and committed some heinous antitrust actions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

dos and windows were also decent computing game platforms but copy protection is annoying as poo poo and it was just easier to play those games that just required a CDROM in the drive

anyways, we are in the linux thread so regardless of what os you use, it's

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I was real surprised at how well quake 3 did on my linux box. I had hoped that linux gaming was right around the corner but it turns out that it would take another 22 years and would involve applying a windows api translation layer

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

loki saw some real bangers make it to linux in 99 and 00.

quake 3, tribes 2, soldier of fortune, unreal tournament, sc3k

loki really made it work well

but then steam came out and took over and it was right at that cusp when distributor control finally took effect because accountants couldn't justify having developers work on a linux port (or outsource it) when that money could go to shareholders

Props to id software for open sourcing the doom 3 engine, though, and to splash damage for the wolfenstein enemy territory game, and to whoever helped open source star control 2.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sysv cron is fine and there's no reason to discard decades of experience and documentation for something shiny if sysv cron does the job well

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

no one is saying that systemd timer functionality can be entirely supplanted by cron.

But if one line in a crontab will do you good, then there's no need to write a unit file and timer file for systemd

there's no need to replace all shell scripts with python files, when the bulk of the work is just chaining pipes and fork/exec

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

there are a lot of different ways to do (almost, fork/exec being the exception) all of that with cron anyway though?

also why would you be using separate time formatting anyway? :confused:

I think the idea is to execute tasks relative to when the system starts up, rather than on boot itself

like a virus scanner or an indexer or whatever

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

while i can see that being a use case, not only can you query uptime but the system clock is most likely also utc (unless you're dual booting an old version of windows or something, i guess). so idk, maybe i'm missing something here

I'm not arguing there. But as the script gets complex, the argument starts to form around using systemd timers.

I'm content with leaving crontab stuff where they are now, but I'm still open to using systemd timers when it could be beneficial.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

probably hardware or drivers in a bad state

and frankly, with graphics, it could be either

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also if a process triggers a kernel oops then killing it does nothing.

you have to reboot the system to clear it out.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

there is a crontab man page, op.

also, if you configure it right, cron e-mails you the standard output. So you can easily write a script that is quiet unless an error occurs.

cron is like vi. not everyone likes it, but it just works and it has its fans.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dunno if it's unclear but cron doesn't bother e-mailing you if there's no output

this is why a lot of utilities have a quiet mode that don't write anything out unless there's a problem

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

that is actually kinda worse?

no output is good output only when your output delivery mechanism is reliable. handling email on servers that aren't primarily mail servers means your output goes through a rube goldberg contraption for delivery.

is the mail daemon running? is it configured to relay to a smarthost? is that smarthost blacklisted? it my mail service accepting mail right now? is my mail service accessible? is my mail service marking the rare messages from cron as spam?

instead of worrying about configuring a mailer on every machine you control, how about shipping your job output -- both positive *and* negative -- to your log management/monitoring service. then you can be relatively confident your jobs are actually running, and the reason you aren't being notified otherwise isn't because you busted the mail daemon config on your non-mail server

Those are all good points. There are many many ways to configure (and periodically test) an e-mail system to make sure mail gets delivered (including whitelisting hosts, whitelisting domains, forcing a username/password login over ssl to deliver mail, etc) which would take many pages and does not address the fact that some vocal users abhor e-mail.

Piping logs to syslog (using logger or whatever) is undoubtedly a better way of doing it as long as your logs are also looked at.

Ultimately, linux gives you a million and one ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

And each solution is wrong.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If people want to replace find, then they can feel free to try. I won't stop them. If init is bad enough to force systemd on us, then who's to say that find would encounter a similar fate.

But you'll have to make sure its replacement is in ubuntu and redhat (and freebsd) and busybox in the default repositories (except for busybox where it's built in) or else I'm pretty sure people will just stick with find.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

If only we had some sort of system for managing changes to code so that people could edit the files locally on their own computer without the risk of accidentally screwing up the central repository

rcs?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

# systemd-creds decrypt password.cred

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Selklubber posted:

What's the best way to program and manage a lot of different scrips or programs running on various Linux servers? Systemd or cron jobs? Some of these are running continuously, so I don't feel cronjob is the right thing.
I'm hoping there's an easy way to integrate systemd services with version control, so I can work on the running script, install them and not forget to update the git repo after.

You want configuration management like ansible. Or chef or puppet.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

serious response:

don't try to use terraform for managing system level resources. terraform is fantastic for infrastructure level resources, but is awful at describing a system image without constantly fighting tf. ansible is really the hotness for describing system level resources, but salt, puppet, and chef are all reasonable answers to the problem of applying config to running system images

as for actual implementation, if you're on linux, you probably want systemd units -- a mix of service units and timer units based on long running vs scheduled jobs

yeah, this sounds about right

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Selklubber posted:

I'm trying to learn ansible, currently using it to install stuff on servers and configure them, take backup of switch configurations and stuff like that. It works fine for the initial setup, but afterwards I feel it's easier to experiment and configure locally on the server and forget to update my playbooks afterwards.
Feels like it could work smoothly with systemd, I just haven't found a nice way to install the unit files with it.
I've tried just copying the unit files into /etc/system/system/ and installing them with ansible shell commands. Is that an acceptable method? Feels like it could also break horribly.

Does container and orchestration mean Kubernetes?
I read some articles about Kubernetes and Rancher. I'm an automation engineer, I couldn't tell the difference between Rancher herds, pods and the turbo encabulator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

orchestration depends on context
  • cloud orchestration, aka IaaC or infrastructure as code, such as cloudformation or terraform
  • container orchestration such as kubernetes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the file picker for gnome was written by people who only know of one workflow for every single task

and this workflow requires you to give a name to all of your documents

so if you hoover images from imgur or twitter and they have autogenerated filenames then you have to open another nautilus window to actually find the filename of the image you want to select

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The universe of docker, containers, and Linux is so vast that it's like learning a new language with new metaphors and ways of thinking. It can be kinda overwheming to some, and it sounds like this guy needs a month or two of training before they can even get their feet wet.

Embedded Linux is many orders of magnitude more intricate than just docker programming so y'all seem like you've got your work ahead of you. Unless you expect this guy to not have to worry about drivers, systems programming, or ever having to invoke Make.

The mythical man month rears its ugly head again, looks like.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

We have detailed instructions and the script I gave him is a single command that starts the container and dumps you into its shell. I understand that docker is complicated, but if you don't even know the difference between systemctl enable and systemctl start, perhaps you shouldn't advertise yourself as knowledgable in Linux?

:classiclol:

fake it 'till you make it! On the job training, baby!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

He's in his 50s.

He could still be fresh outta school

:yeshaha:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

that's why you don't work with windows shops

yeah but

Truga posted:

they pay a shitton though :shrug:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sometimes, some people have just the right domain knowledge that they get paid the big big bucks despite only writing software for windows

It's been a completely acceptable programming environment for decades. Big businesses depend on it for both clients and servers. And it's only been the past 10 years or so where even Microsoft is seeing the benefit of running more servers on Linux. There will be enough institutional friction to make sure those greybeards have work until they retire.

Or they can just run wsl2 and make minimal changes to their workflow.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

what gets me with people like that is a seeming lack of curiosity. like the way they view their work is totally different to mine. i have some fundamental interest that makes me want to know How Computer Work. my impression of them is that they are satisfied just being fluent in their little domain, but anything more than that just doesn’t motivate them

at some point when you hit middle age you stop caring about computers and feel the urge to do old people stuff like read history books, fix up old motorcycles, and actually feel the sun on your face.

On the other hand, tech novices in other fields suddenly discover Linux and they have that enthusiasm in the completely opposite direction and now they've gone 4 hours playing tux racer (or uqm) before they realize they can just install Steam and now they're posting wine configs like no tomorrow.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

thinking about linux :allears:

hell, :same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rooney McNibnug posted:

people talk a lot of poo poo about linux but i have really enjoyed using it as my primary OS on desktop for the past 5 years or so. Its come a long way, babey

:same: except, like, 25 years or so

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

i like linux. im not gonna lie anymore

hell, :same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

comedy option: use gentoo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

like clockwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

oh man

the flexibility of not being tied down to a specific kernel driver binary abi is probably yet another good reason why linux is so widespread