Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Back to i3 because everything elsefeels like poo poo now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I am using i3 wm for everything now. Its extremely good for most purposes. Inkscape and the gimp do not like it though.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Tanners posted:

gimps not bad if you just use the single-window layout

Thank you

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I made a wrapper to fix the workspace renaming without the 1:www etc workaround, if anyone wants to try it

https://github.com/blindstitch/i3-improvements

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Why use sway over i3?

larper
Apr 9, 2019
6 mohts on ubuntu + i3... Whips so hard

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah at least use sway if you're going to be a nonstandard weirdo

Is the python stuff I wrote to communicate with i3's shell commands still gonna work

larper
Apr 9, 2019
In case anyone is wondering, the 40AN thinkpad dock works with the t470s on ubuntu 18, if you enable a bios option that's off by default

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Progressive JPEG posted:

which bios option? asking for a friend

Something in a clearly marked menu that has boot in the name

larper
Apr 9, 2019

God that looks loving terrible

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Use a tiling window manager ffs. Unless you lijke to spend 8 hours a day moving windows around and hitting alt tab

larper
Apr 9, 2019

josh04 posted:

other humans have to use my computer ever

That's hosed up

larper
Apr 9, 2019
You don't have a personal Rig? You sharing your 2008 macbook with your 10 startup house friends or w/e?

larper
Apr 9, 2019
My ex tried to use my comptuer once and started literally crying lol

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Last Chance posted:

Were you behind her when she turned off the monitor

Captain Foo posted:

this wasn't because of the computer

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

holy poo poo

probs too long for the thread title, but...drat

I think it fits if you do like LINUX2020: ex tried to use my comptuer once and started crying

larper
Apr 9, 2019

ratbert90 posted:

One thing I like about MacOS is if you long hold a key alternative keys pop up. Gnome doesn't do this and I can't find a way to enable this feature if it exists.

:smith:

compose key sequences are way better

larper
Apr 9, 2019
compose C C C P

larper
Apr 9, 2019
reinstalling ubuntu tonight :sweatdrop:

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Soricidus posted:

does linux even work reliably with hidpi monitors yet? last time i tried it was mostly ok but some things were still tiny ... and those included the login screen

In ~/.Xresources, Add "Xft.dpi: <dpi-you-want>", then log out and back in. I think that's all thats required for X. In i3 I also have to set the font size.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux has always worked with hidpi, because there has never been a standard dpi on x11

75, 80, 96, and 100 dpi were all common choices back in the day, not to mention all the bananas CAD poo poo that used wild rear end DPIs on secondary monitors

software had to be written to be dpi-independent to work at all in an x11 environment

(of course, this does not mean gnome will work, because gnome 3 is a giant bucket of poo poo. if there is a way to gently caress it up, they found it)

you have to manually set this because while x11 autodetects dpi based on the edid provided by your monitors, that data was historically very bad, so every software package in existence ignores the (physical) dpi that x11 reports :(

Interesting stuff. I would expect ignoring the automatic dpi to be the default since that data is unreliable and people generally expect higher resolution screens (like my t470 1920x1080) to display things smaller until you choose the dpi you want. It took windows until just a few years ago to even get halfway working scaling but its been mostly seamless in linux so far. the only app that ignores my dpi setting is chromium.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i still don't have a high-dpi display for my home desktop because wow big high-dpi displays are spendy

i think you can get a 30" 4k monitor for about 300 now

larper
Apr 9, 2019
today i found out exactly how bad fractional scaling in wayland is

larper
Apr 9, 2019

mystes posted:

I use i3 because despite the fact that it's a tiling wm it seems to be made by people who aren't crazy.

I like it, its easy to use

larper
Apr 9, 2019

psiox posted:

i need to set up wayland and sway

gimme that sweet non-tearing, low-latency desktop. especially on my shittier computer that cannot play any games for children due to a crappy gpu

please report back on how it goes, i need to make the switch from i3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

eschaton posted:

Swift has been supported on Linux for years—we wrote a whole new implementation of Foundation to go with it, and also updated things like libdispatch for Linux too

here’s how I edited some Swift on Linux at my building’s cafe a few years ago

I miss the before-times

thats fuckin dope lol