Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

help how do I get good at the linux?

install osx

install homebrew

do everything you'd do in linux but replace the commands 'apt-get' or 'yum' or 'pacman' with 'brew'

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yes I tried to activate filthy closed source drivers and the linux gods punished me

sounds like your kernel module is all fucejkd up

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

is it maybe because i touch myself at night?

no, contrary to what theists want you to believe, masturbation is healthy and doing it doesnt have a bizarre influence over tangible things like your operating system behaving like a piece of poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

is it maybe because i touch myself at night?
this image demonstrates how absurd and superstitious you are

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
reminder that if windows can SSH, i certainly don't know how

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
linux is the bitcoin of the 90s

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey man, it looks like you left your source open. i went ahead and closed it for you. be more careful!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

spankmeister posted:

My main gripe with arch is huge system changes every so often that if you miss them youre gonna have problems updating. I ran it on an old laptop that i used once every two to three weeks and every single time i wanted to use it i had to cj my drat system because they decided /var is deprecated and it should live in /usr/var with a symlink back or whatever. You'd go pacman -Syu and it would throw a fit.

yep basically this, exactly. that was 100% of my issue with arch. and it's 'working as intended wontfix' because they idea is that you're supposed to cj your system and read documentation otherwise arch isnt right for you or whatever.

maybe it's better now but i'll never find out because i'm too lazy to install it now that they've gotten rid of the install gui

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

My issue with Arch is not only that it gets stale very quickly, but the community seems to be extremely hostile when you need to fix it.

I went into #archlinux once when my computer wouldn't boot after an update and all they did was convince me that Arch is for hipsters only, not for anybody who wants to get poo poo done. They told me to read the wiki and the manual and the news posts, but none of those things actually helped me fix my drat computer.

It actually turned out that it my issue wasn't documented anywhere on the wiki, or the manual, or the news posts. I forget what the actual issue was, but it was an edge case in pacman not upgrading something correctly. It was their bug, and I eventually filed a bug on their bug tracker and they fixed it.

But of course the community can't let somebody besmirch the good name of our Arch, our Pacman and the Holy AUR. It's 100% perfect, just read the wiki and manual and news posts you loving idiot.
working as intended, actually

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think there should be a differentiation between unsupported packages and unsupported packages that require alteration of the base kernel or whatever. then you should be able to disable unsuported packages with a mouse click.

something i really like about brew on osx is that it all operates on the surface. if you want to get rid of everything homebrew has installed, you delete the /usr/local directory. you should be able to do the same thing with usr/unsupported or whatever

obviously many things would not work this way. but they'd just be an even higher level of unsuported.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Granbar posted:

just installed Fedora on a laptop I had laying around that was usually running win7/8 (poorly).

the installation was fast and smooth, sound works out of the box, mouse gestures work out of the box, FN-shortcuts on my keyboard work out of the box

i am amazed.

also, it's way faster on this than in windows.

i'm glad linux is finally better than windows. it's amazing what a bunch of talented programmers can do when they're dedicated to disrupting proprietary software. great job, microsoft devs!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ubuntu: the white mans burden

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
bootstrap your dreams

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

Everybody wishes we could rebrand. I am not kidding.

that's honestly really refreshing to know.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Berkshire Hunts posted:

It's a Beefy Miracle!

they use the same naming scheme i use for my farts. it's extremely apt.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

awesome-express posted:

So Canonical wants me to come in for an interview

do i go?

y/n

will u be getting paid or is it an internship for people who already have careers?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

no as dumb as a lot of the stuff theyre doing is, a lot of it is at least new

yeah no one has ever approached a UI with the goal of making it unusable

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
linyuk nyuk nyuks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

morel ike NOme

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
with an automatic installer, you can read the source code of linux to make sure the code isn't gonna hack you, but in addition, you get to read the source code of the installer to make sure it's not injecting anything into the linux code! it's two layers of security checks!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Boner Slam posted:

Is there a good desktop environment for linux yet? Last time i checked they all looked like crap.

I clicked on the link with Plasma 5 on the last page. Sadly the fonts and the font rendering is laughably lovely, the window buttons and everything else have this really unsettling amateurish look that makes me nauseous.

What else is there?
I'd like to use the Suse system, but everything looks like crap.

What are the window managers which look most like a professional actually worked on them currently?

yes it's called macrosoft osx

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

desktop software for unix is mostly made by extremely beardy volunteers, and they do it to scratch their own itch.

blesssed are the beard scratchers, for they will inherit the girth

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
anyone who says they like linux actually only likes the bounre shell

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
actually the reason most things cant scale to a large level is because they're poorly designed by people who wanted to do it themselves

most of this stuff is a solved problem as long as you dont try to solve it yourself

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you mean the company that uses microsoft silverlight?>?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://www.themukt.com/2014/08/24/linus-torvalds-hero-says-13-years-old-zachary-dupont/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i really like the guy who popped up to inappapropriately ask about mouse jerkiness in your farewell post

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

do modern distros still call the admin group wheel group?

yeah.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my stepdads beer posted:

the windows equivalent is needing to load network drivers from the cd that comes with your motherboard in order to download video card drivers and 4.3 gigs of windows updates. sure the command line isn't involved but it's just as much as a gently caress around

actually windows is way worse in cases where your drivers arent on the windows 7 cd

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rahu posted:

I've never had a modern linux not work perfectly on my thinkpad. Perhaps you all should use less poo poo computers for your linuxing?

i though the point of linux was installing it on poo poo computers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

"yeah let's just put a stack-based garbage collected language runtime in your high-performance display server responsible for rendering at 60fps. also everything is global and all applications can see all resources. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?"

but enough about your javascript implementation of X

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

javascript X11 is pretty much the one good use of javascript ever

can't wait for it to reach the point where i can run gnome3 in the browser

but my browser is already unusable

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
has anyone said wayland/gnutani ?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

has anyone said wayland/gnutani ?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Maluco Marinero posted:

I used Arch. This is 100% why I moved on. Don't use Arch.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
seriously though they'd hvae something decent if they'd just stop breaking poo poo constantly

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

networkmanager is a system daemon, how do i interact with it if there's no shell integration, is there a standalone gui prog i could use?

install the gnome apps for gui config stuff just don't install the full gnome DE

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

the yospos number...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm just quoting this to point out this ui is way, way, way better than osx is today

nextstep was wildly non-standard and encumbered by postscript and often run with monochrome graphics but man was the user experience good

that's difficult for me to imagine because i've never used it and it just looks like a slightly better version of windows 3.1