Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hm for some reason i thought steve was forced out of apple a lot later, like 91/92.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this is why xmonad without gnome or anything else is the best choice

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

ever heard of science and logic you loving vapid reject?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pseudorandom name posted:

why haven't you packaged the spreadsheet up in a Docker VM yet?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

nah I'm not yospos smart like that, it's a way smaller company (mandriva)

this is what i thought, but lo and behold i start at red hat on monday.

Suspicious Dish posted:

is it red hat? because red hat owns and you will have a good time at red hat

very glad to hear it. i knew you'd worked there but i couldn't remember if you actually liked them.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

heavily depends where you are in the company. are you doing rhel eng, and are you under hosted experience, dev experience, or server experience?

Not really sure where I fall in under that hierarchy. I'll be working on the subscriptions systems, "the engineering wing of the IT branch" is sort of how it was described. I'm sure I'll know on Monday. I spent a long time talking to the PM/Team about what they do but it was well over a month ago now so I don't really remember.

I really liked the team, so I think that bodes well. It's a contract for hire/external recruiter deal, which probably explains why I only have a vague idea of what I'll be doing.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh, you're under HSS then. yeah, they own, except they kept changing the internal wiki every 6 months

well i suppose that's better than letting it be 6 months out of date..

anyhow glad to hear it. i didn't get any red flags at all, i'm fairly confident the work environment will be good. i'm basically dealing with a form of imposter syndrome where i think 'well they hired me so they must just want me to do web forms in rails'

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
from freedom came elegance

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I agree you should shorten it to Mint. It definitely needs a new slogan.

Elegance has a lot of negative connotations, and frankly, I don't think Mint is all that elegant. I love Mint, but not for it's "elegance". I love it for it's simplicity. It's stability. It's ease of use. It's simple and appealing default look. It's familiarity of layout by default seeming like Windows. It's "Clean". It's "Fresh". Mint is a great name for it. The slogan is pretty meh compared to how great Mint itself is.

Simple.
Clean.
Fresh.
Easy.
Stable.
Solid.

Linux Mint
Because my mom can't figure out Windows.

Linux Mint
It just can't get easier.

Linux Mint
Your computer always works now.

Mint
Solid. Easy. Free.

Mint
What your computer should have been 10 years ago.

Mint
It just works.

Mint
No viruses. No crashes. No fees.

Mint
Your car won't run forever, but now your computer can.

Feel free to riff off my ideas, combine the concepts, reword them... But definitely Mint needs a new Image. I think just making it Mint would be a good first step.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=26908&start=20#p195817

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
at yone point i had my gf and brother setup with linux and whilst i used an airbook. both of them on mint. although i think i started them on arch (thus the mint).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BobHoward posted:

oh i see this too except the acceleration is too much even if you slam it all the way to the left, breathe on the mouse and the cursor moves like 5 pixels

really fun in that light: the 1 pixel wide targets gnome uses for growing/shrinking windows from their edges

yeah my current complaints about the linux desktop experience are 99% related to this.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

we have had invisible borders for ages now -- i wrote them for like 3.4 or so? it should be a 10px border default i believe

is something going wrong there?

It's definitely more than 1px but it needs to be two or three times whatever it is now (given the sensitivity issues). If I want to drag a window with the touchpad, I have to plant my finger in place and then slowly roll it over the border. I think this is a symptom of the sensitivity than the border being too small, though.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 9, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

see what

$ gsettings get org.gnome.mutter draggable-border-width

says

and then try increasing it to something like

$ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter draggable-border-width 30

does that work?

it was 10, now it's 30 and it's way better. thanks dude.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

axolotl farmer posted:

it was a lot easier to install CentOS than XP on my lovely old netbook. I destroyed the MBR by trying to install double boot thing and tried installing both XP and Linux, but not a the same time :downs:

CentOS worked about as well as Linux on the desktop works. it found wifi, graphics drivers and even sound and webcam right at install.

XP didn't even try to use generic drivers for anything really. 640x480 and no network. if you don't have drivers for the Ethernet jack or wifi on a thumbdrive you are screwed.

centos is for servering not for desktopping

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Berkshire Hunts posted:

if your workstation is a newer linux than the servers you're going to dev against newer versions of the libraries included on the server because devs are idiots

The most important thing is that you are able to easily copy and paste from your 'good' environment to your dev environment

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

The most important thing is that you are able to easily copy and paste from your 'good' environment to your dev environment

Unfortunately if you use Linux you can't even copy from your good environment to your good environment.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

this is major ownage.. with some minor keys :grin:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm glad you guys like endless_party_b1.mp3

endless_bi_party.mp3 was better but this one is good too

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

is red hat's satellite/spacewalk thing any good?

i think i sort of work on this or at least consume it or something and i have no idea.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
imo any more than 0 system is too many systems and if you have so many systems that you need help versioning them the only solution is to upgrade to 0 systems

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just use docker cli on mac and have it talk to a headless linux running docker elsewhere, i.e. in a datacenter or a closet or anywhere that's not on your desktop or lap

you putsyour dockers inside of your vagrant box

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://www.nixlice.com/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
dont use kde

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

also idk about p3's, maybe if you kept modern gpus so there would be something that could handle hd video decoding. certainly true that the habit of doing everything in js or python or whatever instead of writing in a compiled language like a grown-up has led to software getting exponentially slower without offering anything like exponential gains in usability or features.
theyre exponentially more usable for developers, who are the primary users of linux

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hunngh i've been trying to get a wayland client working in crystal/rust and both of those languages making wrapping c libs extremely easy and i still can't even get a connection to open and here you go and do it in js

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey gapacho do you work for redhat

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

previous versions of gnome 3 showed the notification area when you rammed the bottom of the screen with the cursor; that feature was too useful so they changed it to an ugly strip of pixels in the lower left that never goes away and slides out into an awkward drawer when you just barely mouse over it

having it pop out like that would be awful. giant things popping out of the bottom of your screen needs to be reserved for really really important things, like docks/etc.

the notification area is not that important.

also it's really annoying that you cant turn it off now. those 3 extra pixels blocking tiny bits of font triggers me.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Is a tiling window manager the best bet for minimizing the use of a mouse?

yeah but i haven't found one that 'just works'

the other option is to go cli everything and use tmux.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i want something that does what slate does on osx -- just a set of keybindings for arranging your windows into tiles that works over your existing WM.

Does gnome have anything like that?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

b0red posted:

so what are some good terminal applications besides htop, nethogs, irssi.

tmux, ncmpc (unfortunately there's no reason to use it now that music streaming is the only sane option), tig, midnight commander

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish has the "search the package manager" extension installed, you don't have either that or xterm itself installed.

And you turn off cursor blink by unchecking the blink cursor checkbox in the Keyboard preferences.

lol why is it there???

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

tig is actually really good thx shoegaze

still waiting on a cli program that makes staging / unstaging on the chunk/line level as easy as gitx/gitcola/etc.

pram posted:

midnight commander is straight up noob poo poo

my file managing needs have never exceeded what can be managed easily with bash, but please tell me what the better things are??

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
for some reason in both vim and emacs i've never bothered to learn how to manage files so if i need to move or rename or copy or whatever i just do it from another terminal and then close and reopen the file in emacs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
we develop on linux at work and i do 99% of my work by just sshing into my linux laptop from my macbook

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

how the gently caress are you going to bootstrap chef, or puppet, onto a desktop linux system, bsd. how. should he automate that too? should he make the image before he installs it on his undoubtedly lovely computer? should he run a kickstart and pxe server? should he use foreman too..

make a docker with ansible and have it provision the host machine

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ur gonna need to install dicker but lol if your distro isnt running a docker daemon out of the box

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the install gui for linux should just be replaced with jenkins

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i started using tmuxinator tonight and holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

i think bsd's answer was a good linux answer to a linux question in that it was technically correct but ultimately not helpful b/c the asker is a dumbshit who wants Good Thing, but doesn't have a clear idea of what Good Thing is. I guess what i really want is to not have to janitor my own linux. or get good enough at linux that i don't occasionally irrevocably break something that necessitates a clean install.

like i spent about a few hours learning how to setup an email server. a few weeks have passed and not only have i forgotten what the email server is called, i've forgotten what files i've modified to make it work. if i want to move to a new vm instance or something i'll have to redo all that stuff :/

lol you're problem is that you' trying to run a mailserver