Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I will also say that we're probably going to revamp notifications again in 3.14. There's lots of issues we want to fix, and a redesign has been going on for at least a year.

hi, add win+# shortcuts to launch favorited activities, its the only thing in unity that scores a victory over gnome

there was an addon which did this but it broke like a year ago due to your apparently unstable api and nobody has bothered fixing it

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oval office AND PASTE posted:

you have gnome 3.4, notifications got a complete rehaul in 3.6

never knew lucy was a guy's name

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I will also say that we're probably going to revamp notifications again in 3.14. There's lots of issues we want to fix, and a redesign has been going on for at least a year.

also why does getting the bottom bar to display require slamming my cursor against the bottom of the screen 4 times

and why does right clicking a systray icon cause the bottom bar to hide again. while im obv the only person in the world who actually uses linux steam or linux dropbox it still seems kinda shortsighted???

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

Can you not move around the windows on a panel in gnome3, or is that just me? It'd be great if I could just drag whatever app and move it left or right of whatever else is open. I can do that fine in gnome2.

Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts tab -> Windows section -> "Move Window", defaults to Alt+F7 here

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Or you could try the Ubuntu thing and rebrand every release.

Although this has the downside of about 30% of the posts about Ubuntu consisting of random alliterative release name "suggestions"

i wish everyone just ignored the name and used the version number everywhere

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for the gnome3 win+#-to-launch-favorite thing that id pestered about before, is there somewhere thatd be a good place to post a feature req for this or did you file a bug about it already

cuz srsly itd be mega useful

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

o dang thats cool

thanks!!

fight the good fight

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

o i was thinkin wayland but shortcuts are cool too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I think the questions before the TC are:

1. Should

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also debian is good despite the committee stuff

i think it has a side benefit of giving an outlet to the fishmechs that insulates them from the real work

the systemd stuff was pretty hilarious tho, was worried they were gonna make the wrong decision to support bsd debians or whatever other pet projects

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

and most people use it through one of many sub-distros thatve refined the mess a bit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

work on desktop stuff is often transferrable to server stuff and vice versa

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gnome3 apparently hides the battery status when the laptop is plugged in

i guess nobody ever cared about knowing whether/when the battery is recharged

or nobody ever used linux on a laptop because lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

unplugged                                           plugged in

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

meanwhile shows up as charging in the power settings

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Q. What is the point of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

A. This answer has its own wiki page, see Debian GNU/kFreeBSD why.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its almost as though people working on a hobby project arent interested in dealing with that bs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

itt awia showing us his o-scope

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wasnt osx on gcc 3.x or some garbage until 4 seconds ago

i use linux all over and its aight, i first got the hang of it w/ gentoo 1.4 whenever that had just come out (2002ish idk), which i wouldnt recommend (esp not now that its dead) but it was p good as a crash course on figuring out what poo poo was. knowing a linux is also v useful for employment purposes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i like banshee

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also the perennial tradition of removing all useful features for 'simplicity' then bringing them all back over the following releases

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think its p good now tho

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i used to use a tiling wm but then i matured a bit so now i use gnome3

well that's my story cya

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

im the generally unused 3d printer

and the blocking out of the sun's light and warmth

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ahmeni posted:

apparently ion3 hasnt actually been maintained in like 5 years
look at this sperg

more like petulant childe

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

id like my linux to look like this tia

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this screenshot is from july of 2000. by the standards of the day that was pretty sharp-lookin'

for comparison check out the eye-searing horror of Mac OS X in y2k. it makes kde 2.x look good. none of the icons match. background colors are different in every window etc

i was actually sorta serious; i unironically think win2000 was by far the best looking windows

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think its pretty :3: that you could have configured your wm exactly how you wanted it in the mid 90s(?) and still be using the same config today

the emacs of wms

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

raruler posted:

if you have to suffer a linux, pleas use xfce

goddamn those icons though

just use tango iconset obv

i use thunar (xfce's filemanager) in gnome3 because nautilus specifically continues to be used as a personal playground for babies who arent interested in filemanagers being useful tools

hmmz maybe ill give xfce a looksie if only because systray icons (eg google-musicmanager, spideroak, steam) are still designed to be very annoying in gnome3

e: oh man i never realized how much i missed having a simple weather applet

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 27, 2014

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is mir dead yet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

id like it if fedora had apt, tho id settle for something that isnt yum

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh and lts releases

see more like this, where theres a release for adults every so often:

not this where its entirely ocd childe tier:

rhel is close but the releases for adults should still have 3rd party support for occasional non-ancient pkgs via a ppa-style system

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

beefy miracle :heysexy:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Boner Slam posted:

So I installed the Suse Linux on my computer. I use Gnome. KDE is faster but looks like cluttered poo poo.

Pro:
- Looks okay once you edit the fonts and reactivate the window buttons
- usability is okay
- installed my computing and editor stuff very quickly
- relatively stable
- two finger scrolling works perfectly out of the box

Contra:
- Can not play mp3s or mkvs - LOL. Finding and installing codecs features in the media players does not work. Installing external codec bundle only works for two of the seven or so media players I installed. Welcome to 1990
- Once you pull the bluetooth bundle (audio) and plug it back in, you have to restart the machine to make bluetooth work again. Holy moly
- some piece of poo poo programs randomly do not work and require a parallel "make" type install because they refuse to work with this or that default package. Like if you have the audacity to set python3 as default then half the poo poo doesn't work anymore. Good!
- Gnome is actually really terrible if you think about it, why do I have to click on "Activities" and get this slow rear end poo poo menu to switch to any programs. And then you have this concept of using different "screens", but alt-tab doesn't integrate in this at all. Great!
- Gnome is much slower than KDE, when the gently caress did this happen?
- Scrolling in the activities menu is by default unusable because it scrolls three times as fast as any other scrolling in Gnome. I mean it's just an integral part of the UI, why bother making it work, right?
- The poo poo you need to go through to add an icon to the activities menu shows that Linux will never be a desktop OS. Well you can install this app of course, but out of the box it's either "don't do it" or "try a lot of console poo poo"
- The login screen crashes often
- Lol if you try to mount a Windows 8 hard drive, because you can only do it read only, the onboard tools of Gnome will of course just fail without comment, as is customary
- Double clicking on a file in the file manager to open a program works half of the time, often just nothing happens
- By default the standard programs like the video player, music player or viewers are able to display exactly zero percent of my files because they are not encoded in some bespoke free-sofrtware format from ten years ago that nobody ever used
- The packages offered by Suse do not include most good programs one would actually use, making this poo poo essentially useless, since you are make-installing half of the things anyway
- The pdf viewer is the biggest sack of poo poo
- Who the gently caress uses a dedicated lovely mail program and why is it integrated in every single thing
Edit: - And it's actually slower than Win8 ?!?!

Yeah overall A+ performance guys, I have no idea why people prefer to use the Apple or the Windows. No idea.

source ur quotes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm just going to leave this here for suspicious dish

wish itd eat alsa

and cups

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

computer toucher posted:

in gnome 3 if you turn on matiral scrolling the lock screen tells you to swipe up but you actually have to swipe down.

and why the gently caress is there no sensitivity setting for two finger scrolling? jfc.

welcome to reenix here is your commandline fix

$ synclient VertScrollDelta=n

mine defaults to 99, lower = faster apparently

good luck getting it to reapply each time you reboot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wanted them to allow users to install things at their own legal risk. This is what other distributions like Debian do.

did they not get the memo that fluendo forked over money in 2005 and now everyone can have mp3

or did that in reality have onerous strings attached or smth for redistribution - - oh lmao apparently it did

oh well apparently wikipedia thinks the patents are all expired around 2015-2017 anyway

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

then there's just AAC, H.264, that other MPEG4 profile nobody uses anymore since H.264 exists, VC-1, WMA, and whatever is coming next like H.265

aac/wma dont matter imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lmao if your videos arent each a directory of jpegs