Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is mir cancelled yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

at my last job i blew a bunch of time getting a basic db to the point where it could handle a few billion records/day on a single system* solely because they didnt want deployments to require several machines (and therefore cost more)

was a p fun project and a hell of a line item on my resume but lmao

* with a small disk array providing p good iop capacity tbf

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also hello it was the first day at my new job and I fixed a major performance issue and I'm happy.

grats always feels good to justify ur existence at a new job

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

FYI, here's the computers we're building. They run Linux.

I'm at the office today while nobody else is because it's a nice place to chill that has p. good Wi-Fi while I'm in between hunting for apartments in SF. Sorry for the crummy camera pics.

berk or n oak imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

berk or n oak imo

around lake merritt is also pretty pro

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wont the price approx double after tariffs

i at least remember hearing about that being the case for brazil

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe they should think more about fixing the cause (garbage libs whose regressions are going undetected/ignored) instead of the symptom (apps that use those garbage libs having version-specific problems)

also there's already a version numbering system for dynamically linked libraries (albeit one that mostly goes by convention)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm also concerned about btrfs, mostly because there's no full time maintainers or developers for it anymore.

looks like chris mason is still on it full time? he apparently switched companies again a while back but it sounds like theyre interested in him continuing to develop it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ok now that ive actually skimmed it more than 5s, it sounds neat overall but feels they just went through a checklist of fashionable modern fs features and tried to find ways to use them all

the btrfs snapshotting dependency would avoid the extra effort of path handling hackery for the packages, yet the package format is still going to need some degree of author effort to specify eg the more granular dependency versions and to sign packages in the first place. feels like they may as well just gently caress with path handling and avoid the btrfs dependency

overall i think the concept is neat and that itd be a good replacement for the sea of distro sperglord middlemen frequently ruining the author's work but i dont really see why it should require btrfs-specific features to function and i feel like it'd be a much easier sell if they didnt depend on that

quote:

One of them is actually signing/verification of images. The btrfs maintainers are working on adding this to the code base, but currently nothing exists. This functionality is essential though to come to a fully verified system where a trust chain exists all the way from the firmware to the apps.

the finest openssl straight from the verified author

(i mean sure youd want package signing to avoid blatant mitm but it's signed by the packager rather than the author)

oh i think i get it, theyre trying to allow getting rid of the 3rd party packager entirely and having the author diy it, okay thatd be pretty cool, tho it still looks a lil unclear how the chain of trust would work/scale to individual authors

and lol if its also signed on dependencies such that even the os vendor cant push a zlib security update across the board without getting the approval of each author that touches zlib

quote:

Also, to make the home sub-volume scheme fully workable we actually need encrypted sub-volumes, so that the sub-volume's pass-phrase can be used for authenticating users in PAM. This doesn't exist either.

depending on their definition of 'need' (this feature sounds pretty optional to me):
- the default result of losing your user password is your data is gone, you cant just reboot onto a livecd. sure, if you encrypt your drives today and forget the pw you get this result, but its an additional optional step and the volume pw isnt necessarily the user pw
- and lets just disregard otp or ldap (again they're sounding like they think encrypted home dirs is required)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

the btrfs snapshotting dependency would avoid the extra effort of path handling hackery for the packages, yet the package format is still going to need some degree of author effort to specify eg the more granular dependency versions and to sign packages in the first place. feels like they may as well just gently caress with path handling and avoid the btrfs dependency

overall i think the concept is neat and that itd be a good replacement for the sea of distro sperglord middlemen frequently ruining the author's work but i dont really see why it should require btrfs-specific features to function and i feel like it'd be a much easier sell if they didnt depend on that

i mean the snapshotting stuff makes it cleaner but i think itd make more sense to treat the snapshotting as one way to implement an agnostic concept (one that could even work on normal dir structures if you really wanted), so that you arent tied to btrfs' style of snapshotting forever

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

dog poo poo for every application

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

lost my ~/.ssh/id_rsa

welp, guess it's time to call the noc

(or you could keep passwords enabled because lmao seriously?)

you can have multiple allowed keys fyi

worst case put one on a zip drive or smth

e: plz dont generally reuse the same keyfile across multiple systems tia

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mac keyboards are incorrect tho

i like deb-based but its pretty hard to find a linux that isnt amicable to some codin

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

infernal machines posted:

broadcom wifi chipset

this is all you needed to say, the rest is redundant

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sure, they're trash. but they're really common trash.

it's not like you can't test against this stuff so that one of the most common wifi chipsets actually works oob

i had a laptop with a broadcom 43xx and drivers for it only came into existence after several volunteer developers had done a full chinese wall reverse engineering job over several months against one of broadcom's windows drivers

so i dont think linux is the party to be blaming here tbh

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so the drivers exist already? yes?

then linux is at fault here.

no they didnt exist until a year or two after id gotten the laptop

they actually worked better than the windows version did lmao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so the drivers exist now though? and have since like 2013 or so at least? yes?

then why the gently caress aren't they properly packaged and tested for a popular, supposedly user oriented, distro that came out in 2014?

because linux suck rear end at anything related to user experience, or you know, having things work properly without bespoke fuckery

is yours also a 43xx or something else

cuz my whiny story is from like 2005-2006 fyi

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

holy poo poo thats 8-9 years ago im old

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also lmao not using intel wireless tyool etc

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

thinkpad supremacy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

just curious has anyone ever gotten a laptop from https://system76.com/?

if so i'd be interested in a trip report

just get a thinkpad t/x imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

terminator is aight even if you aren't using the multi-panel stuff

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

The dark Adwaita theme is only applied to multimedia apps, but you can toggle a switch in GNOME Tweak Tool to make it happen globally.

sounds usable and intuitive to me!! lmao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

see i see this and i read "the gnome desktop team is full of morons" because lol at not making that the default behavior

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

prefect posted:

i have to find my first edition copy of "mastering regular expressions".

just make sure there's some fiber in your diet and you'll be all set

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ubuntu-branded mealworms

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

praise enough to make me want to try it

but my steam library :( :( :(

id like a service that lists which games in your current library wouldnt be available if you used osx or linux

let me know when youve finished making it thx

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

civ5 has a linux port now for whatever reason

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

on the plus side, the lwn reaction to this latest shitfit is overwhelmingly negative. i'd have at least some respect for the whiners if they actually wrote any code in the last six months instead of just bitching and demanding that everything remain the same.

ya lwn is Good

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when you buy one of those you deserve what you get

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i havent bothered creating a swap partition for a few years now

the only times ive run out of ram have been because of a really bad memory leak of my own creation

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

keyvin posted:

I finally figured it out guys. xwd -root | convert - shot.png in this black box with text took the screen shot.

use scrotum

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it should rotate thru different configs to compare on each reload imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Groupon Launches Gnome™ ­­— A Tablet Solution that Helps Merchants Run Their Business and Connect with Customers

http://investor.groupon.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=848707

lwn
The GNOME Foundation, by virtue of having used that name since the 1990's and having trademarked it in 2006, objects strongly to what it sees as a blatant infringement of its trademark. The organization is scrambling to file its opposition to GroupOn's new trademark filings, but that takes work — and money. So there is now a fund-raising effort in the works to help make this opposition happen. "Help us raise the funds to fight back and most of all call public attention to this terrible behavior by Groupon. Help us make sure that when people hear about GNOME software they learn about freedom and not proprietary software. Our counsel has advised us that we will need $80,000 to oppose the registration of the first set of 10 applications. If we are able to defend the mark without spending this amount, we will use the remaining funds to bolster and improve GNOME."

i think theyd have good luck if their campaign was simply called 'gently caress groupon', theyd probably get a ton of shat-on businesses to donate

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

with two more systemd-related resignations from debian over ian jackson, even bruce perens has joined in

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

with two more systemd-related resignations from debian over ian jackson, even bruce perens has joined in

and here's a third one now jeez

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

k-zed posted:

the usual systemd supporter response of "submit bug reports, it's open source, etc etc" is bogus.

systemd developers and supporters are trying (and unfortunately mostly succeeding) to make systemd an unavoidable dependency of running a linux system, through for example encouraging the practice of daemons talking to systemd directly via proprietary systemd interfaces (therefore making them unportable). this is absolutely unacceptable.

the whole argument is about not having to use systemd (or dbus. or glibc.) at all, in any form.

amazing how the people impotently whining about systemd consistently lack the wherewithal to make their own alternate, or fork, or even patchset that fixes their perceived problem and would rather focus on being boilerplate-laden shell script warriors in comment threads and mailing lists in hopes of forcing someone else to do their work for them

its almost as if the people with any background on the matter already agree that systemd is good

also source your quotes

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 18, 2014

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

its almost as if the people with any background on the matter already agree that systemd is good

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

carry on then posted:

yo what's an lunix that scales well on retina, want to try one out

High-DPI displays and Linux