Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vimscript was a bad idea on every level -- they couldn't use an existing tool extension language because amiga; they couldn't write a competent language interpreter into the tool because amiga; it's just a god drat disaster

today there are people who want to "fix" this, but they have to retain compatibility with vimscript in any new implementation (looool) or they have to work inside the vim codebase, eldritch horror which all men fear

i use nvim op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like linux, op

but NOT as a desktop os

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

piracy is fine

buying software is fine

software licenses are retarded. I sure love having to design architectures around dumbass licensing rules instead of what’s best for the customer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

idk i I just saw this in some post somehwere of if it is legit but doesn't adobe (for example) actively decide not to make piracy too hard as having a bunch of people who use and like photoshop who would never buy it for home use effectivly promote its use in commerical settings?

and same thing with win 10, it doesn't really care that much anymore if you don't activiate cos MS are incentivised to make it universal so they can ream the poo poo out of corporate users with regular license audits. if running windows at home was hard/expensive maybe desktop linux would be more of a thing (lol as if)

probably poop but I read it somewhere

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

tak posted:

Oh that's easy

Try homebrew for 5 minutes

MacPorts is garbage

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pram posted:

id genuinely like to know what you were installing through homebrew that required more than a completely negligible amount of space lol

some poo poo pulls down massive dependencies like mono or pandoc

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

macOS is truly the least worst OS but gat drat lots of parts of it are trash. maximise behavior, finder, the way it handles network drives, ancient bsd builtins instead of gnu ones

f u timb

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

install linux and all of those problems vanish

that’s like cutting off your dick cos it’s too big to fit in your pants

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nbsd the whole thesis of this thread is that Linux on the desktop is dogshit and everyone hates it except you, that’s why ‘year of Linux on the desktop’ is a standard nerd joke

linux owns. it’s poo poo as a desktop os

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

"how do I change keybinding"

"click this one thing hth"

"OMG YOU IDIOT just install LINUX what you some kind of sperg?????" - notorious bsd, 'real' linux user

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

James Baud posted:

I've been using Linux on the desktop for twenty years (!) now, dunno what you're on about re: dogshit.

You don't have to use gnome 3, you know.

linux is dogshit

windows is dogshit

osx is dogshit

dehumanise yourself and face the dogshit

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

finder is fine

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fight fight fight!

:tipshat:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

have literally never had an os update fail on a Mac across multiple (like 10?) personal devices and mdm managed ones at two different companies

sorry about your bad IT department/brain

git apologist fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 17, 2019

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

e. gently caress

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

all this spergin' is giving me linux desktop lust

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

BobHoward posted:

my 2405fpw somehow ran till about a year ago, when its backlight started flashing and flickering and eventually died

i tried to take it apart to get at the backlight psu and see if it was just bad caps, but was defeated. dell made it too hard to take apart to bother saving a tired old monitor that had developed bright and dark patches over the years (warping of the backlight reflector I assume)

were you using windows? this may explain why it didn't work/looked like poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s bad

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

isn’t ansible instantly disqualified because it’s not declarative

I wish yaml would get its poo poo together somehow to make indenting less of a rollercoaster. like can’t they extend it so it’s basically the same but you can use brackets if you want

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

re: laptop chat

usb-c on a laptop is so nice.

actually it’s bad. because the implementation is so poo poo

the cables are a dumb shape which makes the ports fragile and they are loving expensive for decent ones so instead of being ‘universal’ they are more like precious heirlooms

imo usb-c was a fuckup. and I fuckijg own some bullshit 4k usb-c monitor with PD

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

checks out, I just asked IT to swap out my lovely MacBook for a decent laptop (thinkpad) running a decent os (Debian)

you need to talk to someone before you inflict more self harm

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dell is dogshit actually

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i saw tim bernese-lee’s next station, literally the first ever web server, at the science museum in london

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

arch is dogshit

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

xtal posted:

Sorry about that install you broke.

arch: sorry about that install you broke

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

thing is easier and requires less janitoring

“seems like a cop out to me” - a linux user

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

you’re holding it wrong

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

plese use 1password or icloud or some other service where 2fa is not irrevocably tied to a single device

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really like how much flexibility you have with the UI in Linux. Whatever UI metaphor you like you can pretty much make it a reality with a simple change of the desktop manager and a few tweaks. You can make a MacOS or anything from a Windows XP-Windows 10 like experience with KDE Plasma through Kwin or Wayland. Then you have tiling ones like i3 if you do a lot of terminal or coding work and want to have a bunch of text windows open at once without having to futz around too much with arranging them.

I'm not a super fan of Gnome's whole desktop metaphor, the placement of the dock on the left side by default (though it can be moved with tweaks) just seems really weird and unintuitive. I do think their virtual desktop system does work better than most of the other desktop managers for making it easy to move windows between workflows though. The first time I tried Linux a few years ago with Ubuntu was with Gnome of course and I just bounced right off that back into Windows.

Then there is some really bloated stuff like latte dock which just crashes frequently and is kind of a resource hog. Not a big fan of it.

all this is actually bad

I want to use computer not endlessly tweak the UI. its paradox of choice poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

on one hand, a [green/amber take your pick] on black terminal is easier on the eyes than white on black, but on the other hand i dont want to get laughed at for making my poo poo look like im trying too hard to be a L33T H@X0R

just use a solarized theme op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

being called a rereg isnt getting to me, being told to lurk more when from my perspective im posting the same as everyone else is whats getting to me

people are telling you to lurk more because they want you to stop posting because your posts are bad, hth

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

and i know a thing or two about bad posting

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pram posted:

linux? like from jurassic park?

my kid is loving nuts for jurassic park and you’ve just given me a great in for ruining his life by teaching him linux

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

currently bedridden with my fedora laptop after getting cool and fun side effects from my covid vaccine
so uh i guess ill try setting up either an arch or a gentoo box

they are probs good distos for tinkering around with to figure out how linux linuxes

i think you’d probably learn more by setting up a server tho. if you have somewhere you can run VMs or an old desktop (hopefully with low tdp cpu) set up fedora or ubuntu on it and install some shiz you might find useful at home like a file server, seedbox, plex server, ad-blocking dns, etc

having poo poo that is long running, deals with permissions, and for which you need to mildly monitor and log dive and futz around with systemd definitions is useful linux skillz imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lombard

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i just looked it up and facebook launched in 2004 and opened up to public users in 2006. youtube launched in 2006

that was 15 years ago :skeltal:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

goons continuously bewildered by the passage of time

imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I heard that the wii u has breath of the wild but it sucks rear end

I'm kinda curious as to how bad it really is.

i played it right through on wii u and it was perfectly fine, never noticed any performance problems at all

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wsl2 is the best desktop linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i wish os x would find a way to use gpl3 tooling instead of being stuck on gpl2 stuff from 15 years ago