Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

drawbacks of kde:

[*] looks like dogshit

for the new version coming in a couple of months they got some actual non-programmer design people to make it not look like poo poo

but yeah, the current kde theme somehow manages to merge the worst colors and design decisions possible into one ugly mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is this kde 5, or something that will actually be usable before 2018

plasma-next, and it's in beta with a release scheduled for july

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rahu posted:

Until KDE 5. Then it will be broken for a couple years before it's usable again.

kde 5 works, but right now it's more like a release preview since a lot of the nice things they were showing off aren't actually done yet.

it already looks and feels 1000 times better than kde 4 though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

meh macs are moneypits unless you are doing graphics or whatever

and pro-audio. there is a lot of high-end software and equipment that is mac only because that's just the way it's always been

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OldAlias posted:

kde is forever lol and not mature, they need to kidnap designers and ux people.

they actually did this for kde 5. not the kidnapping part, but they have actual non-programmer designers working on it.

it's still a work in progress, but it already looks and feels far better than kde 4 ever did.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ericadia posted:

is that true to this day? (srs) i always read from nerds how they use linux for minimal systems. Has linux become efficient or are these nerds just idiots?

minimal systems these days still have way more ram than the average 486 did.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Smythe posted:

yea it doesnt work good on linux which was a bummer. but then again i had ati drivers and i thnk gaben and his hatchet crew only made it work good on nvidia linux

it's not valve's fault that fglrx is complete garbage that should never be used on anything ever.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

to amd's credit, they are taking measures to address their lovely drivers and they are doing it in a way that mostly placates the rms-style "NO CLOSED DRIVERS EVER :byodood:" sperglords. unfortunately the new drivers will only work on the R9 285 and newer cards so if you have a 7000 series or an 'old' R7/R9 card you are still screwed.

it's too bad that amd's software sucks and maxwell is kicking their teeth in on the hardware side because they are actually fairly non-lovely as a company when it comes to publishing hardware specs and generally being less scummy about things compared to nvidia.

Sudo Echo posted:

But bugs don’t only happen on fglrx: the Windows AMD driver also has a few major bugs. AMD supports a form of client-side buffer storage that would be extremely useful for Dolphin. It is exposed via the AMD_pinned_buffer extension. Using AMD_pinned_buffer with Vertex Buffers or Uniform Buffers works perfectly, but trying to use it with Index Buffers starts rendering random polygons. Because of this issue, we had to stop using AMD_pinned_buffer for Index Buffers, leading to decreased performance for AMD users of our OpenGL backend.

I liked how amd's opengl driver guy gave a talk at gdc about using multidraw indirect when their drivers still didn't have support for it, more than a year after the gl 4.3 spec was released. even mesa had support months before them. then, when the driver that did support it was released a month or so later, actually calling glMultiDrawArrays caused the driver to crash.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 16, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

if systemd is driving off obnoxious weirdbeards that actively fight against making things more usable for normal people because they think that they're ~special snowflake sysadmins~ then i hope it continues to win.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jre posted:

This will end well

at least the beardos will shut the gently caress up now that they can keep cj-ing unreadable init scripts in their special beardo-sysadmin distro.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

And I have replied that we will not break remote emacs for people many, many times.

yeah, hasn't wayland had a proper rdp protocol that supports rootless windows for over a year now?

the beardlords will still complain because it's "too windows like" and thus "not the unix way", it's slower over their 14.4 modem or because it's too easy and thus something that normal people who aren't afraid of the sun can use, but they aren't actually losing any functionality.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 3, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

i'm gonna lol so hard if anyone claims that x11 was ever "the unix way" of anything

some beardlord posted:

I've used it on LANs. I've used it across my crummy IDSL link. And I've even used it on dial-up. Only when using very graphics intensive applications on dial-up did I find the performance awful (and, fortunately, I only needed to resort to dial-up during those rare times that the VPN access was down). Caveat: I'm not trying to play games via X11 connections which may be why it works well for me and so badly for the folks who are in favor of Wayland.

I find it amusing that some people are touting how wonderful the implementation of RDP is on Windows 2008 server. I need to access remote UNIX systems, not Windows servers. Those of us that use UNIX (almost exclusively or as exclusively as I can pull off) don't want something that is useful only for Win2008 Server systems. How will an RDP plug-in for Wayland accommodate UNIX/Linux desktops connecting to UNIX/Linux servers? Oh... I guess the people running UNIX servers will have to install a non-native layer to allow the Wayland folks access. That's just nuts.

(Personal opinion time: It seems there is a group of Linux developers who grew up developing for Windows and won't be happy until they've turned Linux into the Windows they would have liked to have seen. Too bad they never used UNIX/Linux as they were developing their programming skills.)

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 3, 2014

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Smythe posted:

the "pain in the rear end" link linking to the PulseAudio wiki page made me laugh out loud

what's wrong with pulseaudio aside from ubuntu loving up deployment 8 years ago and it being poettering-ware which automatically causes certain spergs to have a breakdown?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

i can either do nothing and not help at all, or i can give away a linux desktop computer that works very well for everything but netflix (afaik) and windows-only games

doesn't netflix work in chrome now?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Valve was SteamOS, I'm assuming Dell and HP paid them to be their pre-installed Linux provider

steamos is debian based.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

by the way can you really get a good beer for $3.50

at a bar, no

if you live near a european grocery store you can get a half liter of weihenstephaner of ayinger for $3 and change

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

java has been open source since 1996

what parts? they didn't start to open-source the runtime until 2006.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I wish kde weren't so hideous, because it's functionally decent.

they did a good job of de-uglifying kde 5.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

fglrx is actually good now.

it's better in that it doesn't crash on startup in as many programs anymore, but it still a broken pos and Nvidia blows them away performance-wise on linux even when the same cards are nearly equivalent on windows.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

if you janitor you own home router then well lol but uh i guess see if the router itself gets a /128 and then set up dhcp6-pd so that it gets a /64. then set up radvd so the rest of your network also gets that /64. but i think i'm the only person itt broken enough to janitor their own router.

nah, you've got company. twc gives out prefixes via dhcpv6 so your router needs to support it and you need to allow udp incoming on port 546 from source port 547 in the firewall to allow the replies through. you can actually get a /56 from them if you configure the prefix-hint.

unlike my v4 address that's been the same since forever i've had the v6 address change after a modem reboot. it has a 6+ day expiration and the modem was only down for one minute so idk.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I use KDE on my centos development machines because I think it looks nicer but everyone on the internet seems to hate it

functionally kde4 was pretty good, everyone hated it because the interface was ugly as gently caress and felt like it was designed by and for people who spend so much time in a dark room that they need sunglasses in the presence of a 40 watt light bulb. you could try to make it look nicer but that usually had the side effects of misaligned buttons, squished icons and cut-off controls.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the amd open source driver is reasonably featureful, but completely unusable due to speed. the closed source driver is equally slow but also so broken that nothing works properly.

if you want to play vidya games on linux, you need an nvidia chip and the nvidia binary blob.

radeonsi is getting better, to the point where games like tf2 actually run better on it than fglrx. like intel, the problem is that mesa's gl 4+ support is still piecemeal and missing important things like compute that keeps newer titles from running.

hopefully amd will do the smart thing and implement vulkan support on radeonsi instead of trying to shoehorn it into the mess that is fglrx.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

so, nvidia built up a giant pile of hacks to make things go more than 20fps, and amd/intel don't play that game. so of course what you hear is "amd is trash at writing drivers"

someone who interned at nvidia around the time vista launched wrote about just how bad it actually is:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

that said, amd drivers are trash. running metro redux on fglrx tops out at ~25 fps whether you have a 7850 or a 290. last year during the whole azdo push they spent months telling people to use multidraw-indirect when they didn't support it. when they finally released drivers that claimed support actually trying to use it caused a crash on both windows and linux.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amd and intel drivers for linux might actually be good if they don't have to implement the entire opengl kit and kaboodle

valve demoed a vulkan port of dota 2 running on a prototype driver written by lunarg, which will probably be the first driver available once the spec is released. it's already running quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hth4u65zfc

i wonder if anyone will bother to continue working on mesa once vulkan is out. most game developers are ready to dump opengl and d3d11 as soon as possible and the workstation world is all nvidia.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

nvidia has no shame doing this, and they've built up this large codebase over the years. amd is not starting from the same space, and aren't in bed with aaa gamedevs, and can't afford to do the custom hacks that nvidia has.

amd competes by trying to play some of the heuristics, but they're not playing all the same tricks so as a result, you get system instability, and nvidia plays it off as "amd is a bunch of idiots" and you eat it up. it is true: amd is not as good as nvidia at building a complex mountain of code that has no shame patching skyrim. all of this will be completely irrelevant when vulkan comes around.

in a bit of a twist, amd's opengl drivers actually do follow the spec more closely than nvidia. however, since most developers are running nvidia hardware and drivers they end up writing things that seem to work until they run it on amd and get a black screen or shader compiler errors. of course, since it works on their nvidia hardware without any warnings or errors they just assume that the amd drivers are broken when it's their code that's wrong.

i hit this at some point when i had a program that worked on my nvidia machine but drew nothing on amd because i wasn't initializing some vertex attribute correctly but never knew there was a problem because nvidia's drivers were default initializing it and didn't throw a warning or error.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

apple logo is right in the middle between epic and unity.

edit: they are listed as a promoter member

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 11, 2015

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

looks like kdbus will finally be merged into kernel 4.1 so applications that need fast ipc won't have to roll their own anymore.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ahmeni posted:

nobody who hates systemd has written an init script in it
holy gently caress is that ever nice

a lot of cjs hate systemd because they think that making things easy puts their job security in jeopardy.

they can suck it because systemd actually standardizes things, fixes real problems and makes creating a service a matter of writing a 6 or 7 line text file vs some unreadable shell script mess.

pram posted:

init scripts are really disgusting. upstart is gross. death to sysv

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

won't kernel 4.0 have hot patching so you can apply security fixes and things like that without needing a reboot?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

ksplice already exists

yeah, but that required you to pay oracle money.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Pike posted:

Visual Studio: Hi! My C/C++ support is so bad that it took me 10 years to add a simple header like stdint.h and I still don't support C++11 features like constexpr that clang and gcc have had for years.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Just use KDE: The Least Garbage Linux Desktop, and then you already have the packages you need to run whatever it is I can't be assed to scoll up.

but then you get some apps that look like this because the kde developers have a burning hate for client side decorations:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. you had to specially configure kde to force this behavior; it doesn't happen when i do it

i didn't configure anything. it's basically a fresh install of kde 5.2 on fedora 21

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

endless does it perfectly fine

are they actually shipping a software H.264 implementation or just using the hardware encoder/decoder on whatever chip is in the device?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jre posted:

i.e. people who's linux knowledge doesn't consist entirely of slashdot articles

if the world were run by the kind of people who complain about pulseaudio and systemd on message boards we'd still be living in caves

"the design of this hut and spear is all wrong! no, i don't know anything about building a shelter or hunting, but i know it's all wrong!"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KEEP LINUX WEIRD!

lol this guy can't be for real

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

there's a typo on the first line of the 500 gig model description

Intel® Bay Trai-Ml N2807 chipset

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

does the non-wifi unit just have an unpopulated mini-pcie slot or is the wireless gear actually soldered onto the board in the higher-end models?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

looks like the pull request for kdbus was sent in a couple of days ago

it's pretty much going how you would expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dolomite posted:

i know nobody burns cd/dvds anymore, but burning in the mid-late '90s was a pain in the rear end, even with a scsi burner you couldn't do anything else while it was burning.

don't forget to disable the screensaver, hang-up the modem and unplug the network cable (which you probably didn't have in 1995). tiptoe out of the room just to be safe.

*comes back 10 minutes later*

ok, let's see how it doing...

gently caress