Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bobbilljim posted:

i wrote my latest resume with openoffice and only contemplated ending it all 2 or 3 times

I wrote my resume in LibreOffice and got it formatted all nicely and didn't get a call back. Then I had my girlfriend open it in MS Word and it was formatted like hot garbage.

Soricidus posted:

try latex next

Then I did this, applied to a higher position in the same exact department, and got an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The best part of my resume-building experience happened when I installed TeXstudio and its package didn't bring in any of the necessary dependencies for it to be able to generate PDF files. Then the UI have useless messages and nothing ever suggested installing the extra packages until I'd Googled it for an hour.

Then I didn't write any of that down, so I'll get to go through it all again, next time I reinstall.

Oh, also I turned down the job offer.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's me, all right. :(

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, and it doesn't even default to giving your home directory a separate partition.

I like it anyway. :3:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Does it still fit on a ZIP disk?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"I want to get off Mr. Shuttleworth's Wild Ride." :mad:

"Just looking at Unity makes me feel sick." :(

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Is everybody emptyquoting that alsa comic or is everybody using alsa to post, too?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

pseudorandom name posted:

lol if you didn't start with zip slack on umsdos

:respek:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Linux Mint is so good, their website is no longer responding to connections!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

carry on then posted:

that's the one that requires a flatten and reinstall to get the new version, right?

They've caught on that people don't want to do that and actually test upgrade paths now. Plus, you can just stick your home directory on a different partition and get all back up to speed in like ten minutes after the reinstall, if you want.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
FYI, upgrading Mint 17.2 to 17.3 took like four clicks and ten minutes. Nothing's exploded yet!

Edit: There still isn't an official OpenJDK 8 package, though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That article is bad!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Look at this loving ligature. Why is the stroke on the second "f" lower than the first one? Why take away the dot on the first "i" if the second "f" doesn't even reach that far? Maybe 2016 will fix this font.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like when I shut down Mint and the last thing it does before dropping back to text mode is unapply the nice Mint styles so everything looks like CDE or something for a few seconds.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You monster.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

b0red posted:

lol
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

Linux mint + cinnamon being target by hackers! Truly 2016 is the year of linux on the desktop!

But did the MD5 sum match? :ohdear:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One time, back in 2001, I went to a professor's office hours for help with a weird corner case bug. He said to bring up my code, so I opened it in pico. He then made fun of me for using an "abomination of a text editor" or something and couldn't navigate around because he kept using vi shortcuts.

I still insist the bug was his fault.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Symbolic Butt posted:

nah I bet my rear end it was a no name greybeard who thinks too highly of himself

He was one of the founders of Experts Exchange, if that helps.

By the way, back in 2001, I was using the version of EDIT.COM that came with Windows 2000 to do my programming. Good times.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also Mint, which still has NO official Java 8 packages.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a boss once who had "focus follows mouse" turned on and I couldn't imagine how many times he planned to type into the background window because his mouse just nicked the corner of it before he finally turned off that dumb setting.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

online friend posted:

focus follows mouse is great if you have an attention span greater than that of a fly

You ever try to wave a fly away from a piece of poo poo? That's the kind of focus I want in my window manager.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

online friend posted:

maybe if you didn't suck it'd be easier to use :smuggo:

You are no "online friend" of mine!!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It reminds me of the days when NESticle added a sprite editor and everybody made Babby's First Romhack.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had to downgrade my kernel from 4.13 to 4.10 because VirtualBox would no longer load my Windows 10 VM without hard-locking my machine

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Condiv posted:

why? you can use virtmanager to simplify it

For the amount of time I need to spend in Windows (for one dumb password manager), it's not worth spending another second on configuring.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

jit bull transpile posted:

remember pcmcia slots?

My laptop I still use at home has one. It also has a modem. I've never had an occasion to try using either.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Raluek posted:

i sure hope you are conflating pcmcia with cardbus, because if not, youve got to have a much higher pain tolerance than i do to use it daily. and i am typing this response on a powerbook g4, lol

It appears to be a 54mm ExpressCard slot, according to the caption of the right-side pic on this lovely review. (My model is only 1.66 GHz, though.)

It's actually not a bad laptop! Except the (replacement) battery is shot, the (replacement) keyboard is filthy, and the screen hinge is totally broken!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Yep, but get the nightly build off their repo because lol @ whatever distro you use being up to date.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Same. Gets the job done fine on my ancient laptop.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sniep posted:

same with adobe air, macromedia flash, all of those plugin-needed bullshit extensions. the modern web is getting there but java is so gross from a user perspective

The sysadmins touted a recent upgrade of a vendor webapp because it "No longer requires Java (except for an obscure reporting function 99% of people don't see)!!!"

It now requires Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

hobbesmaster posted:

what loving year is this

Right? The sysadmins said there's no more Flash requirement in version 8.2 and for some reason didn't add, "which we're switching to in a week," so who knows when we'll be off of it. Hopefully before Chrome disables Flash for good.