Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

for reference, this is it:

:yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hey remember when gnome was cool and good

I'm the randomly bold and fuzzy font characters.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

my first linux was that ubuntu cd with the smiling people on it

I had a ubuntu cd with naked people on it. They sent me a whole box of them. I could never get sound to work because it's linux.

edit: lmao, the full set (nws for butt) http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Ubuntu_Warty_visual_theme/Image_archive

akadajet fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 2, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

“After two-and-a-half years of Linux, I’ve finally found
joy in a UNIX operating system. And I found it when I
purchased a Macintosh–the first one I’ve ever owned.”
–John Hummel Jr.,The Gamers’ Press

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

linux sig snipe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

headshot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

full disclosure: posted from my ipad pro

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

nvidia's cross-platform and Intel's linux drivers are out immediately and generally good as expected.

amd's pre-beta driver still hasn't passed the conformance tests, is windows only, has no directx support on windows and is generally crappy as expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ&hd=1&t=30s

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

if he were competent there would just be release to release binary compatibility and drivers would just work, even across distros

seriously tho. why isn't this the case on linux like it is on every other major os out there?

just give me an .exe to double click to run something

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

You mean like the nvidia .run file?

if that's how it works then cool

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

the kernel devs changed the layout of a struct important to SCSI support between point releases of the 2.0 kernel and his response was p much just "gently caress binary drivers and gently caress you for even thinking about them" when people pointed out all the poo poo it broke

lol and this guy has the gall to complain about working with driver vendors.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

current linux status: had a spare ssd so I decided to throw fedora on it. piece of poo poo can't get past the login without hard freezing and needing a reboot. i had an easier time installing osx.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Nvidia 750?

uh... yeah actually. 750ti

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

That card is a really odd duck and I had the same issue with mine. I ended up having to drop into the console and install the nvidia driver that way. Works fine after that, and it's a lovely solution I know.

Every other nvidia card I have thrown at Fedora works fine, all the way up to the 980, but the 750 just doesn't like the open source driver. :shrug:

I was about to just give up, but I guess I'll try installing a real nvidia driver.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a better card because I'm beginning to realize this one sucks.

I was able to get the NVidia driver installed in single user mode after following a guide, but it crashes on power down or reboot now and also crashed when I tried to install Chrome.

I'm giving up for the night, might try my luck with something else tomorrow.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Odd, I haven't had those issues with my 750. Have you ran dnf update?

yep. I don't think the other issues are related to the card. I couldn't reboot with "reboot" in single user mode either.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Oh, yeah. Is /sbin in your path? I think reboot is shoved in there

I always dropped to init 3 for poo poo like this, but it sounds like something is messed up from your install.

probably. i'll look into it some more later. thanks for the help!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

yospos wins again!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Oh, yeah. Is /sbin in your path? I think reboot is shoved in there

I always dropped to init 3 for poo poo like this, but it sounds like something is messed up from your install.

Ubuntu seems to work. I'll stick with this until I get bored of it and go back to OSX.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

if you are janitoring selinux on your desktop linux then lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Celexi posted:

lol at the people uniroically trash talking selinux and the one chosing ubuntu over fedora

do you guys also login with root to your servers with password y/n

fedora didn't work at all. i guess that's secure.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

seatbelts just seem unnecessary if your driving style is designed with safety in mind from the ground up

:iiaca:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

???? OSX and iOS have MAC its just that iOS enables it and it's administered by apple mostly

its what keeps apps sandboxed iirc

e: in fact the issue w/ selinux is the linux part w/ lots of one-eyed people leading around the blind

What is MAC? It's hard to google ios and mac for obv reasons.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

weird. chrome keeps trying to fetch this with https and failing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet posted:

weird. chrome keeps trying to fetch this with https and failing.

aha. found the reason why random images don't load for me.
code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Security-Policy" content="upgrade-insecure-requests"> 

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

the gently caress why wouldn't you handle that with HSTS and use response headers to indicate security policy vs. managing it in HTML documents which seems far more stupid

it's behind the "experimental features" flag in the account preferences, so i'm not too mad.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CPColin posted:

Also Mint, which still has NO official Java 8 packages.

sounds like a good os

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I've considered it, but apparently the sound won't work on my computer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R33VWW

problem solved

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

glad i don't do gpu stuff. sounds like a pain.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

like all up and coming open source projects this one is hosted on sourceforge

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

back in the day i remember seeing quake 3 for linux boxes at the game store. idk if it was any good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

weren't you the guy who literally couldn't install the nvidia drivers on Fedora, which is like 2 lines of console commands to do?

that was me. and it's hard to do when the os is just broken poo poo with the included drivers.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Lol you literally have to smash ctrl alt f2 and type two lines and reboot.

maybe u should write a guide on it then
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this is also me when i try linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

after using fedora I can see that ubuntu is terrible, slow, hacky garbage, but unlike fedora, it works

Also I fixed my wifi problem by yanking out the 7260 to RMA it and slotting in an atheros thing

i thought ubuntu was the dead simple linux for idiots. it even works on windows

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Ah, that's more like it

you on redstar linux or something?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

mailing lists are the dumbest possible way to do conversation chains and its really telling that they're super popular with Linux users.

super agreed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

Agreed. Wish my work would use a drat forum instead of 99999999999 emails

and they need to run it on SAVB since it's what I'm most familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

James Baud posted:

It's forums that are utter crap, look at how stupid SA is these days. Every single megathread should properly be a newsgroup.

Mailing lists with public archives are basically newsgroups with way shittier tooling and delivery largely thanks to the technical problems presented by spam plus the fact that nobody has tried to do anything to advance/replace Usenet excepting pirates in the last fifteen years.

We cope, but...