Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
on the weekend i blew away my ubuntu-server NAS and replaced it with wheezy, all went well because of the similarities and i'm happy that i finally have it all documented

i wanted to use a more recent sabnzbd though so i added the jessie repos to my sources.list, set "stable" as the default-release in apt.conf, and ran apt-get for sabnzbdplus with -t testing

two questions:
is that the best way to do it since it's the only package i want from testing? the pinning stuff seemed overkill for this.
when apt gets the dependencies for that package, does it install them from testing too or does it get them from stable if the required version is available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Last Chance posted:

you've wasted your weekend

all good advice thanks.

would prefer not to mix testing but it's for this one app that is otherwise way behind
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sabnzbdplus

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah. just upgrade the whole thing to testing

cool thanks. had considered that on installation but didn't care how old everything else was and didn't know mixing was fraught

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

penus de milo posted:

how long do you have to use lunix for before you can do the thing you actually wanted to do on the computer instead of just loving with the operating system to cajole it into doing basic poo poo

i have no interest in using a desktop linux again any time soon but it's the easiest way to get this servery bullshit done

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
everything old is gnu again

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i get mad about this poo poo because i was really excited about osx-as-unix-workstation back in the day. apple fed the hysteria, too. they bought ads like this one in sci/tech/trade magazines

same, bought a mac for this ten years ago.

had the ipod not taken off and led apple into a consumer revival it might have continued down this path. as time went on the money was more with basic end users not professionals so it's understandable they'd concentrate on their disposable income instead of greybeards.

apple does the basic stuff really well and although mac os annoys me in almost every way i'd recommend it to my family members in a heartbleed.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i had an iptables question while the forums were down but rose to the occasion and figured it out myself. radium moves in mysterious ways.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

pram posted:

heres something epic i learned today that i MUST share

if you do the control sequence ~C in an ssh session it brings up a menu you can use to forward ports

and if you use ~# it shows all your forwarded ports

this is awesome, it's part of openssh. if anyone can't do it check that the "EscapeChar ~" variable is set somewhere.

this can be done globally for the server you are connecting to in /etc/ssh/ssh_config or whatever, but I just put it in ~.ssh/config under "Host *" so that it's set for any server I connect to

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

cthulhoo posted:

putty just passes ~ through :mad:

i also use windows on the desktop like a man but i switched from putty to using consolez to wrap the bash shell provided by git for windows and it's as good as any terminal i've used.

it's also useful for running some of the more basic linux commands in windows without needing a full cygwin install, grepping logs and stuff, but i really only use it for connecting to debian. best desktop os connects to be the best server os, living the dream.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
at least in linux if i kill something it dies, windows often ignores my kill process command

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i know nothing of the underlying technology of phone cables and connectors, and yeah it annoys me when yet another one comes out when the previous one was fine, and we'd all be happy if there was just one standard and could share chargers etc. but the lightning connector is the most user friendly electronic thing ever created so i'm glad it exists and makes my life better

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

nosl posted:

Maybe you should just manually mount your external drives and this wouldn't happen - and as an added bonus, you would actually know what's going on as far as where it's mounted specifically on your file system tree.

I mean seriously, you even get to specify the dir it's mounted in and it's one command. Then you can just cd to the dir and ls/launch your file browser from shell (depending on preference), or if you really are just too awesome for a command line, after mounting it you could just open a file browser and navigate to the dir you mounted it in.

The method where you stay in the command line is probably the fastest, though.

2015 year of linux on the desktop

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
it's for people who don't speak the one true language, esperanto.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

http://mw.lojban.org/papri/Lojban

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
venn diagram of lojban to tolkien elvish speakers.png

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
2005 year of linux mint on the desktop

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

so loving future posted:

nix package manager + declarative, reproducible, rollbackable system configuration

it's pretty holy grail, except for the fact that the config language is basically the worst and least intuitive thing any human could have ever possibly invented

my requirements for a distro is that it must be exactly the same as all other distros but change the look and feel in some minor way championed by the author. this appears to be trying something fundamentally different, do they think they're better than everyone else?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

so loving future posted:

oh you're one of those folks that thinks a distro is a window manager lol OMG UNITY IS HORRIBLE I CANT EVEN USE UBUNTU NOW

i didn't even know what linux was in 1997 but installed red hat 4.2 because i saw enlightenment screenshots so guilty i guess

postscritp: didn't get enlightenment working but i did eventually figure out i had to type startx to get a gui

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

so loving future posted:

it's sort of neat to not have your entire system just a stateful pile of poo poo that has slowly evolved, but instead have it all written down -- without the overhead of using salt or puppet or chef

i do think this is an interesting thing and will be watching to see how it develops. when i'm bored i'll have a bash at it in a vm.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

Anyone else prefer the cygwin terminal to putty for remote linuxing on windows? It's the only good use I've found for that POS.

yeah I much prefer using a proper shell to putty, which means I can use my regular profile and ssh configs.
but cygwin is overkill for that, i installed git for windows, and wrap its bash shell with consolez

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

pram posted:

jesus gently caress

please don't shellshame

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Soricidus posted:

i've finally had to use windows 8 (well, technically 2012) and the experience has convinced me that neither gnome3 nor unity is the worst possible desktop user interface

looking forward to my workplace introducing windows 10 in five years or so, till then it's back to the linux vms and trying to pretend windows isn't there

i'm running both 8.1 and 10 on different machines and although 10 finally dumped the tiled start menu for the desktop i'm doing that already in 8 with start8, and there's nothing else i find compelling about 10. so install that or classic shell (which is not quite as nice but is free) is my recommendation.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
watched the first episode of mr robot last night and was delivered a sign that 2015 is the YOLOTD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
fork linux

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

b0red posted:

so what are some cool open source projects people should involved with than

here do a risc os bounty and pretend you're in the early 90s
https://www.riscosopen.org/bounty/

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i have an old risc pc to fool around with for sentimental reasons which is how i know risc os open exists, but i'm still not clear why it exists. i know it has got new life on the raspberry pi but there are better OSes now, i don't know why you'd bother trying to upgrade such an old one. they were neat in their day but their day was a long time ago.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
spent the last three days at an open source developers conference run by linux australia and everyone told each other to go gently caress themselves far fewer times than i expected based ott

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i've been considering making a tiny vm in kvm on my existing home server, which would have nothing but openvpn (always on) and dante socks proxy so that I could selectively push socks-capable apps on my home network through my vpn. i am aware this is a blunt tool for the job but i cbf messing around with routing rules.

could docker, terrible as you make it sound, be a way of achieving same with less overhead than a dedicated vm?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

excellent, thanks.

also i wasn't clear, i meant i just want to run openvpn *client* in the vm or container

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
to spice things up sometimes i use apt-get and sometimes i use aptitude

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
least worst desktop experience

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

jre posted:

holy gently caress I just got to bottom of that thread :magical:

it made me remember slashdot. remembering slashdot is like losing 'the game'

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bash and sh are both legacy garbage. you shouldn't be writing scripts in either one

i presumed that people still use bash for compatibility with other/legacy systems

which shell is the current hipster shell?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i have to use powershell a bit and logically yes it works well but the syntax is hideous, wish it was more like C#.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Breakfast All Day posted:

all PNGs considered would be a great D&D pics thread

this post has convinced me, i'll call them pings now.

rip pee en gee, 1996-2016

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

cadenza posted:

i just got one of the new thinkpad x1 carbons

however i can't seem to actually do anything. i tried two distros with graphical installers too (lubutu and debian) to no avail. need to spend some time today reading about this computer's firmware i guess

nice. i have the gen 3 and i only bought it because they were flogging cheap souped-up ones ahead of gen 4, but it's now my favourite computer i've owned.

i don't have a linux on it though but i do intend to load the combination microsoft and linux shell

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
any reason i shouldn't use fedora as a home server? we're using centos servers at work now and i'll be doing work with them so i'm thinking of using it at home.

i currently use debian test so that i get more frequent package updates. can i similarly regard fedora server as a more up-to-date centos? or can i configure centos to do that too?

thanks pals

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

atomicthumbs posted:

does the installer work correctly now?

that's a red flag, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

EndlessRagdoll posted:

kinda sucks that Lenovo is so fuckin incompetent though since thinkpads are still good computers and have better support than a lot of lappys. dell is still very needs suiting.

i got the previous gen of the X1 carbon in Jan only because I killed my old mb air and they were flogging them off cheap with high specs. surprises the hell out of me that it's the best i've ever used. will probably get another when the time comes