Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

what's wrong with xfce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Nvidia optimus, wtf. Make it work easy without me having to dick around with lots of poo poo

wait this was upposed to be in reply to the poster whos aid that linux worked out of the box

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/BruceDawson0xB/status/723042731421921280

there's also a lot of random garbage laptop components that only have a driver for whatever version of windows it shipped with

i have an old analog capture card which hasn't worked in windows since 98 but the linux driver is still maintained

We have a piece of equipment that can only run on the super-advanced ME version of Windows. IT loves it.

I got optimus working somehow the other night. I was drunk so I don't remember but it's nice to be able to use coot again

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am going to try to upgrade to fedora 24 today. but first i need to make sure my last 6 months of dotfiles are saved. wish me luck

why? wait until 23 is dead before you attempt that

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

and how did it? Children not using apple is a good/bad thing?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

what

SELinux is preventing google-chrome-s from create access on the file 63.

***** Plugin catchall (100. confidence) suggests **************************

If you believe that google-chrome-s should be allowed create access on the 63 file by default.
Then you should report this as a bug.
You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
Do
allow this access for now by executing:
# ausearch -c 'google-chrome-s' --raw | audit2allow -M my-googlechromes
# semodule -X 300 -i my-googlechromes.pp

This pops up every time I start chrome but it doesn't seem to do anything. Same with printing. What SELinux doing?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

what computer is that? Is all of lenovo doing that now?

nm googled it

bssoil fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 21, 2016

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

aw crap do I have to upgrade from fedora 23 finally?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Ah poo poo looks like upgrade time - no more Fedora 24 support. What will break this time (besides wifi)?

Sometimes I use kate and it's pretty good

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

what is dnf meant to stand for because whenever i see it i can only think of 'duke nukem forever' or 'did not finish', the latter of which may be appropriate in the context of linux on the desktop

dinf

which fedora should I put on my fancy xps (ie, which version is most likely to work out o the box)?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/modularity-dead-long-live-modularity/

software collections except not quite

still not entirely sure what they're trying to do here but uh best of luck i guess

" the Fedora Council"

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

So, uh, anyone know what happens if you have set up a vm that is your real hard drive, and you are running Fedora and want to run an installed windows on another partition, but don't get to grub in your vm in time and accidentally start up Fedora, which you are currently running?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

what happens though, for real?

Death.

Worst panic. I quickly killed vmware to no effect. Fedora broken, Windows broken. Sadness all around.

Never cross the streams

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Tankakern posted:

i think this is what bumblebee and all those projects did, and it has worked for quite a while. but that copy-framebuffer-to-the-intel-Xserver was a major bottleneck, and has been since the inception. now, with proper PRIME support you finally have a fast path, so you'll get the same experience as in windows

I'm hesitant to make any changes to my 6-year-old laptop. Bumblebee seems to be doing the trick, but maybe I don't GPU hard enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

bssoil posted:

I'm hesitant to make any changes to my 6-year-old laptop. Bumblebee seems to be doing the trick, but maybe I don't GPU hard enough?

Oh ballz, bumblebee doesn't actually work anymore. gently caress