Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

smart move i wonder why it's not working

maybe it's because nobody wants to use their kernel

idk if their kernel is completely Dumb and Bad but imo the reason darwin open source has gone nowhere is because the driver model is fundamentally incompatible with *BSD and linux, and all the kernel extensions in osx for any hardware worth using are proprietary and mostly undocumented so no one could actually run darwin even if they wanted to

also darwin is basically osx with no available software, running on an executable format no one else uses, and without jony ibe gradients and pretty colors so it basically has no use case anyway :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i liked beos. never did anything even remotely useful with it, so it never had a chance to suck.

i have the same sort of faint praise for risc os and amiga os despite never really using either in their heyday. i think the lesson here is that making computers try to be useful invariably ends in madness

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Dont Touch ME posted:

One of you unix-y tech boomers aught to know:

Could a nextstep machine play 1080p movies from an HDD at 24fps? In whatever you encoded videos with back then

the first video codecs capable of doing what we would recognize as full motion video came out 5-6 years after the original next workstations, and they topped out at like 240p 15fps. quicktime could be done in software on a fast machine when it came out but mpeg1 usually required extra decode hardware cards until the late 90s, so basically no chance

e; f,b

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i remember watching some quicktime HD videos in about 2004 and being utterly blown away by the quality so that's probably about when 1080p became a thing on consumer hardware.

at around that time i remember buying some special edition terminator 2 on dvd and it came with an extra WMV version in 1080p that my shameful p3 733mhz was unable to play. I wound up watching it on my dad's DAW computer on a 19" CRT and it rocked.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

BobHoward posted:

when suspdish worked for endless, endless was still working on that blob shaped cheap appliance computer, which appears to be mostly memoryholed on their website

the whole thing seems to be a replay of the OLPC grift. nerds who read too much stephenson are all like: "poors need computers too. we charity grifters will deliver special poor-people computers to them. this one weird trick bootstraps third world countries into prosperity!"

as much as i have an legitimate affinity for weirdly shaped blobputers, i have the cynical belief that stuff like olpc and endless probably get vc funding for the sole reason of pre-seeding the next generation of h1b candidates/walking tax credits

basically the "learn to code" meme but on an international level

also lol at the deeply patronizing belief that poor people in developing countries are too backwards for regular computers and need special ones with big jelly bean lookin buttons and stuff, rather than like. access to clean water and food

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
though it is needs suiting and what i use at home; honestly the most offputting thing about fedora is the name

evoking the worst m'lady-esque elements of the linux community is not a good naming convention. as if i wasn't already bringing enough shame to my family by publicly admitting to using a linux

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

The_Franz posted:

installed fedora 34 from software update. no problems

the new gnome is nice, but it's going to take a little while to get used to horizontal vs vertical workspaces

i installed it to a spare drive and aside from dash to dock everything seems to be working fine, even with nvidia drivers once i disabled wayland. surprising

thankfully as well the changes they've made have made a couple of extensions i was previously using obsolete so you win some you lose some i suppose

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Dont Touch ME posted:

Lmao the entire quartz composer API is deprecated. Yeah that sounds about right.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/quartz/quartz_composer

How about u deprecate ur dogshit display server apple and switch to wayland

lol. quartz composer != quartz compositor

quartz composer is basically for putting together shaders. quartz compositor is what shows you windows and whatnot

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

BobHoward posted:

it's hard to imagine him ever convincing a parole board he should be let out. he's so sociopathic and narcissistic i doubt he's capable of genuine reform, and so far up his own rear end that he seems incapable of hiding exactly who he is

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/hans-reiser-defends-himself/2095757/

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Lysidas posted:

and notably, proton games cannot be streamed to another steam client

there might be some that don't work, but i've successfully played hades and wolfenstein: the new order over protondb+steam streaming without any issues

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

hbag posted:

the fact that tap-to-click for trackpads isnt on by default on pretty much every desktop environment ever is loving baffling to me
what kind of greasy cretin sits there in their stretched-out "i freaking love FOSS!!!" t-shirt manually clicking the trackpad mouse
WHO wants that
the two minutes i takes me to go into the settings and turn it on is always the most horrible part, i dont care how fast it is to get to the settings, i loving hate it
god

its bad actually, hth

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
pretty sure that's the most detailed and technically sound reply ever written to a 'gamers sure do say the forbidden word a whole lot' goof i've ever seen. impressive

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
appimages are nice from a user perspective, but as far as i know you can't bundle glibc, which is the killer feature of flatpak. It's what lets you run modern desktop applications on ancient versions of glibc like the ones in RHEL, which is why Red Hat is heavily invested in flatpak

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

i have been interested in trying refind but grub has worked for decades

it's good. i use it with both fedora and arch and it has been needs suiting

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

if you want something more complex give me something like elastic where i can provide semantic "level=info unit=networkwhatever interface=eth0" queries instead of trying to remember all the journalctl flags

otoh macos has this backed by binary log files with the 'log show' command since 10.13. it's god awful and somehow they managed to make it like an order of magnitude slower than grep -E 'whatever' log file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i stripe raid0 across seven nvme drives with btrfs in a prod config at work

mounted at either /scratch or /dangerzone

what requires that kind of iops? 8k prores?