Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Valeyard posted:

scientific linux 6 comes with installations of texlive from 2007 and it is a 5gb install to update, and it is a pain in the rear end

linux is a pain in the rear end

scientific linux is poo poo

last time i had to use it you couldnt even get modern versions of gsl or scipy without building everything from blas up manually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

im rolling crunchbang bc i like my distros to fall in the fourthmeal food quadrants

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

Ultimately, systemd's parasitism is symbolic of something more than systemd itself. It shows a radical shift in thinking by the Linux community. Not necessarily a positive one, either. One that is vehemently postmodern, monolithic, heavily desktop-oriented, choice-limiting, isolationist, reinvents the flat tire, and just a huge anti-pattern in general. If your goal is to pander to the lowest common denominator, so be it.

truly the derrida of software for initializing processes

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

sometimes i think id like to use a tiling wm because i end up tiling everything in normal wms, then i go look at tiling wms and there literally isnt one that doesnt require setting up a config. why would you want some sensible default keybindings to put some windows a screen when you can learn a whole dsl and dependency ecosystem to have a clock

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Origin posted:

I seriously wonder if these kinds of assholes were

and are

grats if you dont have to listen to a coworker complain about linux not being gnu enough on a monthly basis

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

poettering's energies would be better spent developing an rpm and deb replacement to strongarm everyone into switching to

and have its installation processing be declarative with a fixed vocabulary that can maybe be extended over time. deb went the opposite way: debs used to have completely freeform installation shell scripts that ran as root but over time bits and pieces of these all got packaged into "debhelper" scripts and now most debs install themselves exclusively by calling a sequence of debhelper scripts from the installation script and nothing else

or something. i've never actually built a deb.

make shared library developer ppl do some semver type thing and have all these different .so builds install side-by-side. use debian's multiarch approach to handle x86 and x86_64 on the same system because that is the Correct Solution to this problem. nobody has ever explained to me why we need crazy filesystem namespacing bullshit to install /usr/lib/libdickbutt.so.1.5.3 and /usr/lib/libdickbutt.1.6.2 side-by-side (and have .1.5.3 automatically replace 1.5.2) with the package manager maintaining its own index of the available .so versions installed on the system and available in the package repository.

u can then install a package produced by upstream and if like, it says it needs shared libs X Y and Z and DBus services org.foo and org.bar then whatever distro ur running the pkg manager should be able to satisfy them. maybe even have some URLs where upstream (signed!) versions can be downloaded (and where security-patched updated binaries can also be updated as they become available)

then go through the absolutely monumental effort of making everything produce deterministic builds that have a cryptographically secure link to the Git commit used to produce each of these binaries and i'm already gettin a semi thinking about it

or, you know, do a lovely half-assed solution where you stuff a bunch of binaries that came from gently caress-knows-where into a gigantic loving tarball and sucks to be you if /usr/@SOMERUNTIMEPACKAGE-JUSTGONNASHITTHISALLOVERYOURFILESYSTEM-1.27.3.00176543-f00cface/lib64/libz.so turns out to contain a buffer overflow

have u considered...isntalling gentoo?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

theadder posted:

so is lunix available on the desktop yet itt

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

why are the linuxers so mad about systemd having binary journaling. are there people who like to hack their journals with vim or some poo poo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 219

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

please post your bandwidth in a more meaningful unit like opensuse isos/s

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

freedos lay

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its your moral imperative to install non-free software on every gnu system you encounter

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

business plan: sell support services to people so poor they had to buy a refurbished laptop so old it needed its own linux distro

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

call it pooracle

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

triple sulk posted:

the misalignment of the i in comparison to the other letters is triggering me

bad kerning is like a linux watermark

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I love latex and use it extensively but it's a bad ecosystem with bad idioms and bad syntax and bad tools and represents the worst of endemic ux problems crippling awesome tech

to be clear libreoffice le logos whatever is still worse in every possible way

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

"open" as in the mouth of rms

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

no, this is from long before we did PGO on Linux. it was mostly from breaking things out into more shared libraries, and sometimes from "making compilation options consistent with distro preferences". or taking out the symbol-trimming custom linker script because it interfered with their usual debug system packaging. or such.

i remember pitching my college roommate a linux distro/crazy infrastructure that did live PGO on almost everything with p2p optimization distribution, like at any given time some subset of your system packages were doing pgo based on your actual usage (with dumb stochastic bs), your results were distributed and matched with others based on system and usage profiles, so youd also be pulling new builds, verifying them and profiling them against your best all the time. i dont remember if pgo was the acronym of choice back then

i was on pills, had just taken advanced compilers, and had a bootstrap installed gentoo. a real fuckwit

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i havent checked out nix in a while is it still going to fix the world y/n?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i meant nix the purely functional package janitoring sperg army knife

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

evol262 posted:

linux thread, not the "hip editor right now that actually sucks and nobody will care about in a year thread". go dig up a textmate thread from 4 years ago to rehash all the reasons why ${editor_of_the_moment} will never be as glorious as emacs or vim. linux is better without sublime text.

hmmm its almost as if successful ideas of textmate carried on in sublime text, and now ones from st are influencing a new gen of middleweight editors

also st is like 6 years old now, itll prob get usurped by one of the open source clones soon but its not exactly a flash in the pan

vim is a language for interacting with editors that happens to have a reference implementation

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

let me just package this linux app for you *squats over an half empty can of pringles*

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i unironically want a new os to shake up the space, but the only way that will happen is if it appeals to hn-types who dont understand computers so it will be some node/container poo poo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

is it so much to ask that in 5 years i will be shitposting from my mill cpu running a plan9-alike written in rust???

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

it doesn't matter how great your software stack is, if it's propping up unusable garbage.

no lf posting

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

tmux is good. but i also use a mixture of tmux and terminal windows

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

yeah most people use linux for teh look + feel :rolleyes:

the touch
the feel
of autism (of autism)
a nix without jony ives

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gotta secure my home directory against neurotypicals

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

trying to fix the insecurities of linux users sounds like some sort of halting problem imo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

all PNGs considered would be a great D&D pics thread

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

at least he left his mark on computers

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Smythe posted:

hmm thats pretty cool. i like to jack my dick off until a tepid load of inert cum leaks out and into my computer

ah, a yi user

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

everybug old is new again

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

blowfish posted:

:psyboom:

how

why

are you making this up because it sounds like it would take active effort to implement this dumb bug

lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

heh

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

btrfs:zfs::android:ios

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

actually thats too generous, its more like firefox os

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

zfs can break my layers all day everyday

i dont even need a safeword i give myself over fully

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

they provide it as a separate binary but since the version #s are same i always assumed it was the same driver with different device info/packaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Soricidus posted:

fat already exists tho?