Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I don't really see YOSPOS as an apple echo chamber as much as just spewing bile on every OS.

The funny thing is, in my opinion, is that Google's Chromebook might be the true Linux desktop. The masses will all have one of them, running web apps or chromebook apps or whatever. It will run the Linux kernel, but will not have any of the so-called "user freedoms" that RMS dearly wants.

And users won't care. Except the jailbreaking bunch.

Fix the internet access issue and maybe 2016 will be the year of the Linux desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

pseudorandom name posted:

pointer barriers should make it Just Work™ in multi-monitor configurations

That's what that action is called? "Pointer barriers"? I thought it was cursor hotspots or mouse ticklers or ... I hope the computer industry agrees on a common nomenclature for this stuff...

Does anyone know how to turn it off?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Back to desktop computing:

btrfs, the hot new filesystem that takes journaling to the extreme, doesn't support swap files (but you can create a loop device on a file and use that, but I don't think that would work with kdump). With the rate of btrfs adoption in default desktop installs, I don't think we're gonna get dynamic swapfiles anytime soon.

Personally, I think just having one or two gigs of swap space and reacting if the desktop is dog slow is the best solution.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ZShakespeare posted:

If you absolutely must use Linux because you're an idiot like me, it really depends on how much janitoring you want to do:

Infrequent - Debian stable, Ubuntu LTS etc.
Frequent - Debian testing, Ubuntu etc.
Constant - Arch, Gentoo, Debian unstable

I think I used SUSE once because it's the only one that ships KDE by default. That was a mistake.

What of RHEL and Fedora?

Or just run your own (or someone else's) bespoke buildroot installation and never update because you'd have to wade in there and compile everything over again.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
At the risk of outing myself as an ubuntu user, I'd like to point out that there's always the annoying "ready to login" and "logging in the user" sounds that are super annoying but not annoying enough for me to actually go and change it.

I usually just leave my headphones off until well after I login, when I actually start some music.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Captain Pike posted:

I read that whole thing and I didn't understand a word of it

I read that whole thing and I'm glad he's on a farm and not touching systems level software anymore.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
One of my drives had a weird error on btrfs on every other boot which forced me to go into single user mode. Turns out that it just needs to recalculate free space or something. Since it was a drive that I didn't write to, I just have it mounted read-only on boot, fixes everything.

I'm going to replace that whole computer with Centos 7 and XFS.

I think XFS will convince the world that Linux is ready for the Desktop.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

carry on then posted:

so is the next ubuntu the one with the ~*~revolutionary new display server~*~ or did that get canceled or what

Wikipedia entry on Mir posted:

In March 2014, Mark Shuttleworth confirmed that Mir development had been delayed and that it was now forecast to be default for desktop use in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, expected to be released in April 2016.

So, I guess, just close out 2015 now and just focus on making 2016 YOLOTD?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

eschaton posted:

just installed Ubuntu 14.10 on my Haiku PC to do Edison cross-development

holy poo poo is this a POS

it's so goddamn slow, like "Mac OS X Public Beta on a 128MB Original iMac" slow

the fancy visual effects make every operation take tens of seconds, I guess bounding their durations and rendering only the frames that fit within those is Too Hard

granted, this is an Athlon 3000+ system from early 2005 with only nVidia 5200 FX graphics and 2.5 GB RAM. I don't expect it to be as fast as my MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

but in Haiku, on this same system, everything is loving instant.

2015, truly the year of Linux on the desktop

Run Xubuntu or CentOS Gnome Classic.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

pram posted:

its true. ubuntu is a pos

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

cthulhoo posted:

2015: the year of java on the handheld

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
lowtax should replace the html with a java app that lets you telnet directly to the forums server and post using a curses interface.

Even better, lowtax should open a phone bank and have people call into the forms.

2015 year of the forums over 56k

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Anyone remember that one mod that let you configure the kernel using a text adventure engine?

Bring it back - the future of the desktop is 80x25.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Subjunctive posted:

Sun was encrypting the source drops I got from them in 1997, so probably not no.

is BSD talking about the specifications and not the implementation?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

theadder posted:

he incorrectly read the wiki close thread

only when linux is on the desktop

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

java has always had source available, since the first day i touched it. the 1996 date came from the first "blackdown java" release: non-Sun coders ported java to linux without Sun's help

the license was very restrictive with respect to redistribution, but afaik java was never closed source

2006 was when they started releasing code under licenses more acceptable to cheeto-bearded fanatics. the source had always been freely available before that, just not FREE AS IN FREEDOM GNU FOREVER free.

are we going to start splitting hairs and differentiating between the base java api and the virtual machine

or are we going to argue about what the definition of open source is

either way this is a good way to start the weekend

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

pram posted:

Windowmaker unironically and ironically owns

WindowMaker was my wm in the noughts but Gnome was OK enough to use in the past few years.

I'm getting used to Gnome 3 but it's the same attitude I took with Windows 8 - might as well get used to it now, even though the old mechanism is much better.

I'd use WindowMaker more but I need that networkmanager and volume manager integration or else I have to figure out how to do it in the command line and I don't want to touch command line networkmanager until I'm good and ready.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Does anyone else think that the new debian "resolvconf" thing is a bunch of steaming crap? How do you ask it what its current configuration is? I'd be OK with systemd booting it to the curb.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde exists and is not a featureless tablet-optimized pile of weird

I've never seriously considered the KDE desktop because of the trillions of additional dependencies and the tendency to duplicate everything that gnome desktop already provides. But this is from using it over a decade ago, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Lysidas posted:

same but windows

The start bar, much like the mcrib, is back.

With a few changes, of course.

Maybe windows 11 will kill it again and replace it with the start screen and windows 12 will bring it back, but with yet another twist, like having it appear on a nearby surface with AR and you have to select your application by pointing at your desk instead of just using the mouse and keyboard like the good old days.

And Gnome will continue to pander to touch screens in 2016 even though the only linux based computers with touchscreens at that time would be smartphones and android tablets.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Do you remember when bluetooth headsets first came out and people seemed to be yelling at no one in particular and you thought they were crazy?

Imagine what the office is gonna look like in 2020 when you need to point to an error in a document but you're looking at the document in google glass or that microsoft thing and you don't have the integration set-up working with your co-worker and the two of you are pointing everywhere in mid-air trying to fix settings and a third party is just "smdh why is everyone crazy"

I guess in google glass you just point your pupils every which way and tap your head, which may or may not be worse, I dunno.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

I see gnome developers and other linux desktop people as being from north carolina, since that's where Red Hat is headquartered.

Unless it's a big web services company (google, twitter, facebook), I don't really associate an open source workplace to actually be in the california bay area.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
january's almost over - we need a timeline for linux on the desktop people

while windows 8 is still rear end we can build momentum and make it happen

a nation of ubuntu and red hat computers, vulnerable to a remote code exploit from looking up an ip address

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Multitouch on my asus laptop works just fine. In fact, everything on my asus laptop works fine under Linux, even suspend.

The only issue is that if you connect an external monitor, do some work, and disconnect the external monitor, and lock the laptop, and go into suspend... when you wake up the laptop, the screen isn't locked anymore. I could file a bug report on gnome shell but I'm too lazy and it's ubuntu gnome so whelp

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
The successor to classic and fallback is Flashback. It's not bad.

I'm using both flashback and gnome shell and I'm about to ditch shell entirely.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Happy Belated Birthday, thread! One year of linux-talk. Let's keep at it and bring Linux to every desktop!

(linux smartphones on the desk is about as far as it'll go)

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
2nding the LVM love here. Lightyears better than msdos partitions and better than gpt if you don't mind the abstraction.

Absolutely essential if you're using raid or encryption (except for removable storage). Why bother putting a single filesystem on a raid 1 or encrypted storage when you can divy it up?

Having said that, if I had a friend ask me about trying out linux for any reason, I'd advise them to opt out of LVM if possible and just enable it later. Just create a 1 GB boot, 4 GB swap and the rest for root. Besides, last I checked (2012?) lubuntu (or was that xubuntu?) doesn't support it in install anyway.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I tried to use a combination of LVM over RAID 1 on a fresh CentOS 7 install and I remember having to create the raid device outside of the partitioning program. It was very sad.

Whoever is changing the install process for RHEL 7 should stop writing code and actually try to use it.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
filesystem chat

Who is using XFS on all of their new installs? Is it ready for the desktop?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ZShakespeare posted:

yeah I can't defend that garbage just use thunderbird.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I love how evolution keeps a process in memory to do database lookups that stays in memory after evolution quits or even after the user logs out.

So, when the process craps out (once every week) it is easier to tell someone over the phone to reboot their computer rather than search their process list and type "kill 4472".

Either that, or go without ldap autocomplete, but with the recent high frequency of kernel updates (which necessitates a reboot anyway) the issue has magically gone away.

Actually, we've just dumped it in favor of Thunderbird since it reliably handles calendars now.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Silver Alicorn posted:

2015 year of linux on the server

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
SERVER TALK

Let's talk about backups!

When will Open Source write something as good as Time Machine?

Who still uses Amanda? Has anyone actually ever used deja dup?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

babies havin rabies posted:

isn't rdiff-backup and rdiff-backup-fs basically the same thing? granted i've never used that for anything approaching a large amount of data, seems to work well enough though

The GUI is really nice and the restore service is seamless, especially moving to new computers.

Other than that the actual nitty gritty of the on-disk format and etc is nothing new.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

cthulhoo posted:

why yes i need a rabbitmq to ~properly~ manage my .muttrc in a scalable fashion on my poo poo localhost fedora for im not some scrub bitch but a Enterprise Admin

e: deja-dup / duplicity is needs suiting imo

4 users of duplicity in this thread.

Deja dup is very fire-and-forget and I've backed up a lot of systems with it but I've never actually tried restoring anything.

Lysidas posted:

my machines all take btrfs snapshots on boot and i use incremental `btrfs send` to replicate them elsewhere, either an external disk or a private area of my file server at home

btrfs owns

Actual btrfs champions here. Do you use it on Ubuntu?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

atomicthumbs posted:

i am planning to switch my web server vps from ubuntu server, which it's been running since 2013, to centos, and upgrade it from 256mb to 512mb of ram. i'm also planning to switch from apache to nginx

what do i need to know about ubuntu -> centos other than my old os was a pos (moospos)

Stick with ubuntu if it works for you, but if you really want to go CentOS then it's like other people have said - yum instead of apt-get. CentOS 7 also comes with systemd which also takes care of service starting/stopping... if you used tools like update-rc.d then that will change too.

CM (configuration management) is cool and all but unless your career is in computers (janitoring or otherwise) you don't need to learn it.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

pram posted:

no one is saying 'dont learn cm' you dunce

I am. Well, kinda.

But really, you just need to document your installation steps instead of learning puppet or chef or whatever.

EDIT: If your career is in computers you should learn proper CM. It's a judgement call otherwise.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
2015 year of consumer friendly Linux CJing

:roflolmao:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Captain Foo posted:

he's talking about forums poster yospos superstar notorious bsd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I'm in for one of the deluxe versions. Can't wait!

Are you involved with the hardware designs in any way? Is the device going to be "repairable" in any fashion? Of course, it's nonsensical to expect people to debug a broken logic board and replace aging capacitors, but is stuff like the eMMC chip replaceable?

What do you expect the final development environment to reasonably support? Only C++/Gnome? Java? Python? Comedy option Javascript?

EDIT: Looks like one of your linked repositories is the kernel. One step closer to turning this baby into yet another XBMC device...

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 15, 2015