Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

being a fan of the general idea of software durability is indeed what won me over to container solutions despite them being kind of icky on a technical level. electron clients and big container lump software distribution is hardly sexy, but it is certainly *extremely* good for linux as it solves a lot of longstanging issues while not particularly ruining anything other than nerd peace of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i challenge anyone to spend a minute considering the fragment of find they know, the fragment they know exists but they can't remember, and then imagining the fragment that surely exists but you've never even heard of, and then to post claiming that this is a fine and good tool that does not need replacement.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

I have to say that lazygit is a decent name as far as dumb software names go

also, without having ever used it, that little manifesto is certainly on point.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I haven't checked but all these Linux auto-scaling things for 2xDPI always seem to use linear filtering instead of nearest neighbor

Do these people save all their screenshots as JPEGs too?

It talks a lot about things being "blurry". Use nearest-neighbor for integer scaling scenarios, then you have 2x2 pixels that look identical to how they'd look on a standard-DPI screen why is this so loving difficult to understand

while preferable it absolutely does not look identical unless you have a real bad hidpi screen. a good hidpi screen ironically makes the large pixels extremely clear and obvious.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when microsoft hired guido van rossum he was handed a couple of engineers and told to work on whatever (which is how we're finally getting some minimal effort on performance optimizing python), so this might not be a bad thing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

phoronix comments is like golden-era slashdot for subtlety, lot of gnashing of teeth about poettering going to the great devil.

i genuinely suspect that microsoft of 2022 is as good, if not better, a place to do good linux software than ibm is. might also change already 2023 for all i know, but we'll see what happens.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Or they're trying to kill off desktop linux with WSL2 and WSLG (or whatever it's called), who knows. I have no idea what Microsoft's desktop strategy is these days but I have no idea what their anything strategy is these days. Their main product at the moment seems to be Office 365 with a bit of Azure on the side. Like they seem to be just burning Windows to the ground by stuffing it full of crapware and breaking things constantly.

i don't think they care that much about the continued existence of desktop linux such as it is. rather wsl should probably be understood as microsoft not really tolerating that there's large chunks of things you *can't* easily do on windows.

but, yeah, one small benefit of bringing poettering in is probably that wsl2 doesn't use systemd, it has a custom init process with very limited capabilities for boot time reasons (i.e. actually getting a prompt within 2-3 seconds). improving compatibility for stuff that actually expects systemd (starting to happen) is a pretty easy win. i have little doubt this is mostly about the linux-laden azure though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's annoying, undermining peoples (well, mostly idiots who will read a conspiracy into this, but still) faith in actually good and important security infrastructure.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

There's a sqlite database for holing settings (of which faults is a part of). Why wouldn't there be? Also, it shows that he didn't even attempt to look at how other things where handled in our code base.

why would there be? was this your general level of communication with the people concerned?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Rooney McNibnug posted:

people talk a lot of poo poo about linux but i have really enjoyed using it as my primary OS on desktop for the past 5 years or so. Its come a long way, babey

yeah, there's some real weirdos posting about how operating systems are bad in yospos a lot of the time. you should check out the new hotness here instead

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no one ever got fired for choosing ibm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Vulkan is quite the miracle API tbh.

High level enough that it abstracts most of the annoying vendor-specific parts of the GPU, but low level enough that you can build an entire graphics driver on top of it.

big part of the miracle is simple convergence of gpus though, turns out that past a certain point there's not that many strange ways to do things (or possibly everyone just copied nvidia for other reasons, but i think it is the former).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the way to think about gpu in 2022 is increasingly to imagine what it felt like when cpus and related runtimes started to become generally comparable and compatible way back in the day. more raw resources means we get a compiler (almost always llvm) bundled in the runtime from the get-go too, so we get to skip the phase of statically recompiling things.

it is extremely gratifying.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

The only Intel thing I would trust on Linux is their WiFi chips.

worst take, literally no other vendor has done more, or for longer.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wine dev team really have done fantastic work for decades

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think clear shows almost as much of an much of an improvement on amd as on intel, but it is very gentoo in how it exercises a lot of otherwise untried build options with the quality guarantees *best case* extending to "works for me"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one does wonder when the people running archive.org decided to get themselves shut down by basically hosting any and all :filez: garbage for no real reason

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what you really want in your chain of trust is out being easy to get at your data with random links replaced.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gnome still out there combining the aesthetics and fun of doing your taxes with the idea that c is a suitable baseline language for doing ui/ux work in 2022 remains ever disturbing. i honestly and truly do not get why redhat has kept pouring money into it. it is not garbage, i use it myself, but what a dreary money-sink of a project.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imagine ubuntu will indeed make good money with that, and fair enough. make popular low-cost software -> charge people to get to not update for decades is a classic formula.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

I'm sure it'll be as successful as upstart and mir and probably 3 others I'm forgetting.

the difference between mir, upstart and ubuntu pro are that mir and upstart are random open source projects built for no real reason and given away for free, where ubuntu pro is a service where a huge installed base of customers get to pay money to not have to update the software they already have in production.

specifically no one in the universe has ever made money on the former, and no one has ever failed to make money on the latter.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i liked nbsd, but there's really no need for him to come back now since burning swine has already made the post. couple of years down the line maybe.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

https://github.com/ggandor/leap.nvim

this is the future vim users want and its disgusting

tbh atom/vscode jumpy just seems the ideal navigation to me these days

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cowboy beepboop posted:

can you host exchange on linux yet

why would you host exchange? it is included in your o365 subscription

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

o365 is insanely expensive. i moved to o365 at work recently and the cost is like 600% of self-hosting, and that's including the hours i did on the old exchange servers. i poo poo on microsoft a lot, but self-hosted exchange is p. much bulletproof, and you can more easily have a proper spam filter running in front of it. we moved to o365 because the big email providers now regularly just black hole email that is not from a big email provider lol

eeeh, the e1 $10/seat/month remains a really good deal to my mind. even if i had several employee with all the skills to run an exchange server i would struggle to motivate making that an in-house risk.

i still expect microsoft to ramp that up one of these days.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my fourth favorite state of matter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

he does post some extremely niche stuff with visibly minimal effort as well. but the effort stuff is great, honestly it has been excellent for understanding stuff like the bringup of intels efficiency cores. followed the whole process with meticulous tests, including being the primary source for bisecting some performance regressions in the kernel.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so what you're saying is 2022 is the year of linux on the desktop?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly it seems weird how obsessed you are with btrfs raid56 fixes, there was a poster seemingly in the know a bit back who assured me that it was mostly just fine and good already actually. let me just look up who it was...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

Strong GNU plus Linux vibes from that disclaimer

don't worry, they are apparently rebranding workstation to domino desktop 2023 next release.

always exciting reading the latest ibm product announcement blogs.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

phoronix noting huge 9p optimizations in the kernel without noting the obviously biggest use-case for that; wsl. which means also no reenactment of 1998-era slashdot flamewars in the comments.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Athas posted:

it'd have to compile pretty much everything from scratch (but it would probably still work).

the main draw of nixos to me is that i am pretty sure this "probably still work" is actually not at all probable if you uphold any kind of standards of working.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

consolas is pretty good. i cant think of the name offhand because i hate it but i dont like what they replaced it with

cascadia code. kind of pleased you said, because i can't tell why, but i for sure don't get along with it as well as consolas (i'm on fira code these days, but consolas shows up whenever i'm not about to add fonts to a system).

incidentally i think the only reason it exists is because of fira code; microsoft wanted to have programming ligatures in their default.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gnome is unbelievably boring mostly, in any way enjoying it is at least as basic as going "i enjoy using microsoft windows 11 pro for my daily computing needs!". i keep joking that they will rebrand it as "ibm lotus desktop" or some such any day now, precisely because it is (and pretty much has always been) a soulless corporate product.

people do attach lingering open source "community" feelings to it though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is because all everyone actually spends time in is electron or similar. vt220 is genuinely more relevant than gtk in 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

yes, via the commercial compilers used by the large organizations with their existing large codebases

approximately zero of whom will migrate a thing to GNU COBOL

the people working on gnu cobol are almost certainly doing it because they are paid by organizations with large codebases to do so.

probably the main feature they get out of it is that it integrates cleanly with c, in the form of gcc, with debuggers etc. crossing the boundaries.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

Honestly the name put me off until I saw people here recommending it. Maybe it's just Red Hat poking fun at their users.

have you somehow never seen the redhat logo? i mean, it was a dumb choice then and continues to be dumb, but otoh every freax.. sorry, linux, name and logo from that era was bad.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Theo isn't a chud as far as I know - just very opinionated, very abrasive (and occasionally abusive) and light on general social skills.

This, incidentally, describes a lot of people in IT.
It's a wonder opensource exists at all.

let me explain in one phrase: "facts don't care about your feelings". theo afaict is so focused as to not cause any broader damage, but oss loves libertarian bullshit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I checked my dad's old Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Windows XP laptop yesterday, and since the screen is really good I decided to try to put a Linux on it (stupid, I know) and put it to use as a "workbench" computer. It's got some sort of Athlon 3700 (or whatever) running at 2.4 GHz, and 1 giggibyte of memory. I'm assuming a modern Ubuntu would be too much? I'd just be using it for looking up poo poo like documentation on-line mostly, I guess.

Also and maybe more importantly, is there a way to get the "hotkeys" (volume control, INTERNET, etc.) working on a Linux?

special keys tend to just work these days (its in acpi tables i think?)

no idea how 1 gigabyte of memory works out these days though, no doubt worth being concerned since a browser will tend to want that and more itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will forgive the reposting this time michael, but only since i've looked forward to this particular news