Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

hi guys is there still no vsync in linux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I've used all flavors of Linux and composers and even Wayland or nvidia control panel "vsync", both on ARM and x86, and have never been truly successful in obtaining a clean vsynced output.

there is always either tearing or the frame rate becomes somehow unstable (tearing is gone but animations are not smooth between)

mind you this is something we have been trying to solve for years at work so if somebody has an actual solution I'm down with it

from what I hear X.org is to blame

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Tankakern posted:

Firefox Is Seeing Work On Wayland VA-API Video Acceleration

if firefox actually gets vaapi acceleration there will be no reason to use chrome/chromium anymore

looks intel-only. too bad, was hoping to have fluid 1080p video playback in a browser on the raspberry pi. we've already got a wayland setup with a qt-based semi accelerated mess of webkit but it still doesn't do it

or maybe we can just switch to the pi 4, but gently caress micro-hdmi, really

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

The_Franz posted:

linux probably has the best video drivers of any platform at this point (basically everyone else can do amd drivers better than amd) and windows didn't get workspaces until this last decade*

*that powertools hack poo poo doesn't count since it just launched multiple instances of explorer, was incredibly clunky and caused a modeswitch every time you switched desktops

how do you like your vsync? non-existant or laggy as hell?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

objective-c is bad and you should feel bad

the amount of loving red tape this language needs, jfc

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Imagine you’re giving a presentation virtually to 1000 people and someone asks a question about nginx, a term you’re not familiar with. What do you do?

If you answered “engine x” or “avoid pronouncing it while answering the question”, then congratulations, you’re still employed!

If you answered “pronounce it like a racial slur”, then you’re now the laughing stock of a large multinational corporation and will probably never be put in a position of responsibility again.

how can you possibly pronounce nginx like a racial slur

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

why anyone would want to use a mouse in a text editor is beyond me

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the funniest thing about vscode is that they didn't learn from emacs

they chose a hilariously rotten foundation for the editor (electron) and a language that is fundamentally and unavoidably single-threaded throughout its runtime (v8)

it's pre-bitrotten, without waiting 30 years for cruft to pile up

but you see, because js is event-based,

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 28, 2020

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

nice vsync

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

he's right you know

Fol... Inform.... Operat....

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

realised the other day that the one linux guy at my new job is like, one of the main contributors to the linux kernel. as in, top 5 in amounts of commits for the last couple of years.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

my colleague who actually has a kernel.org email address is leaving tomorrow. who's going to do his job is still a mystery

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

xtal posted:

Pop quiz: how would you use rm to delete a file named '-h'?

rm -rf /

will delete the file. i consider the deletion of the rest of your filesystem a net positive for these forums as a whole

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

xtal posted:

That chart includes node.js which is an application server, or do they mean to say that many people expose node.js with no reverse proxy?

what does your heart tell you?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I made the mistake of trying to use fedora on my only computer at the time because I thought it would be more reliable than arch, which was doing some annoying thing about printing. turns out systemd-resolved doesn’t play nice with f5vpn, which I had to use for work. you also have to edit configuration files to point to URLs for older versions because a lot of the software is packaged not for whatever version you have installed but something like three versions earlier. and then they just keep changing poo poo every six months in a way you have no control over. LENNART!

anyway. electron people are like “this is a godsend for productivity. here’s my implementation of dd. if you don’t like it you probably have some growing up to do.”

balena etcher is awesome and I'm sorry you feel like everyone should learn how to use dd in a way that won't result in shooting themselves in the foot

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

who needs bookmarks when you can just type like the first two letters of whatever site you're trying to reach and the chome suggests it

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

akadajet posted:

nobody who does real work gives a poo poo about the file system. on every good operating system the default works fine.

sir, may i remind you that you are posting on an Internet forum called your operating system is a piece of poo poo?

as in, there is no such thing as a good operating system

except os/2 warp

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

RokosCockatrice posted:

i don't know how, but plugging my noise cancelling headphones into my laptop somehow broadcasts an amplified version of the noise the external mics pick up through the earpiece, so it's like I have a giant over ear hearing aid on. it's like having a superpower, I can clearly hear conversations and the clatter of any solid objects moving from two rooms away- exactly not the reason I sprung for a nice headset.

that's how noise cancellation works - just play back whatever is coming from outside just phase-inverted. though it looks like yours might be defective or just bad somehow

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

is qt with C++ or whatever mess GTK is still considered the best way to make a gui application in windows?

people keep forgetting that microsoft became what it is not because of some random love from execs, but because they made it super easy for developers to write apps and become vendor locked-in.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

yeah poo poo like this is infuriating. like kde having a 1 pixel window resize dragging area. need to use the alt key like some kind of caveman.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

gpg is useful to buy drugs on the darknet hth

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 9, 2022

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Tankakern posted:

omg finally proper tearing/no vsync support for wayland

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/927#note_560571

last piece missing for pro :pcgaming: on wayland, lowest latency possible

lmao, linux has come full circle

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

gotta love un-searchable project names.

have to use javascript for a project and for various reasons the only http library that's a good fit for this is called "got"

what a loving genius name. so loving clever. wow.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

why would anyone press more than 6 keys

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

My first linux experience was installing Fedora on an old laptop, realizing there's nothing interesting to do on it except cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0 then promptly doing the second other interesting thing on it: rm -rf /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

from boot to the initd gnu/linux will be free

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 4, 2023