Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zom Aur posted:

ive never really got the point of avahi. never really seems to work automatically and never bothered to actually try to configure it

showing this popup is avahi's only function, afaik:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

is it Good or is it wack

Ftfy

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
tablets are p. dece when you're away from your glorious pc browsing master race machine

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

broken clock opsec posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pram posted:

the worst environment for developing apple ios software is actually apple operating system x

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

BobHoward posted:

anything does, because windows 10 is the flattest ui ive ever seen. microsoft clearly wanted to do an elegant/minimalist design but, being microsoft, delivered something that looks like programmers did all the widget art in five minutes

oh please, they used many hours making those widgets, tweaking every detail obsessively.

unfortunately, being programmers, they have no taste.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Barnyard Protein posted:

how dare my computer run programs tht use up the ram computer :mad: i need that ram to run computer prrogarm

people on yospos unironically post this if it's the wrong program, though. (a web browser)

that said

Barnyard Protein posted:

i keep 12GB of my computer's 16GB RAM in a box on a shelf to ensure that it remains free of harmful data

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fritz posted:

i dont mind browsers taking tons of memory, i do mind browsers taking so much memory that i get in swap hell and nothing else works

again, that's every program. if something causes my computer to swap, then i have a problem. if something uses 24 gigs of ram and my computer isn't swapping, there is no problem

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i watched imagemagick use 12 GB of ram when i made a gif one day. it's a pretty recent release with the highest color depth option, so it probably converted those 1080p 8bits per component source frames to 32 bit floats per component before starting to process them :getin:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
duh!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i tried booting ubuntu from a usb stick on my laptop and it seemed to work. all the fonts and toolbars were really tiny, but since wifi worked, i reckon i could get all that poo poo fixed if i wanted a release from my windows 10 hell

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Phoenixan posted:

gnome and kde have better scaling support than regular Ubuntu with unity in my experience

no doubt, i was honestly more worried about the hardware having drivers. i'm not even sure if that's a major problem with laptops these days

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pram posted:

hello there, i am here for my sys admin lecture as directed by the sudo warning

*incredibly fat old guy w/ a huge beard sitting in front of a teletype console sighs deeply and draws his katana*

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

theultimo posted:

YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY SWITCH IT AND LOGOUT FOR IT TO WORK

oh, i thought you were talking about the fonts

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• debian
    this is ubuntu's upstream, before canonical and shadowhawk and an army of dipshits start breaking things. bonus: the packages are often newer/fresher

then again, it is physically impossible to have more out-of date packages than ubuntu has

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

computer toucher posted:

I Googled KDE and Fedora out of mild interest and noticed that they had a Web page out of which they had localized exactly one word for my language; instead of "documentation" it said "dokumentaatio".

thanks I guess.

Then again, do you really want to read documentation that was halfassedly translated in 2006 by a bored AMK student and hasn't been updated since?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
apparently i listen to music differently than youse guys because for my needs pretty much any player seems to do the job

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i know this hurts but...pagancow isn't coming back, dude.

vlc! vlc! vlc!

:qq:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

my favorite thing about this is using a tripod to take a mirror selfie

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i like how

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

computer toucher posted:

absolutely not, so why leave that one word there to taunt me?

Because this [thing] has been localized to 36 languages! *

*(in 2006 by bored students and has not been updated since. 1/3 of the localization keys used in the language file are no longer used and 1/3 of the current keys do not have translations in the language file)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
kde looks really good, but for some reason the windows key doesn't work.

also it has a clipboard history feature which cannot be disabled and is super cool and good because it also saves passwords from your password manager

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my thinkpad has the print screen button between the windows key and the control key.

it's like, why? why is that there? i hit at all the time by accident. obviously i've remapped it by now but wtf?

My Logitech keyboard at work has an fn key where the menu key normally is and the menu key is probably fn+prntscr or something, who the gently caress cares, the menu key is more useless than scroll lock

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

gently caress caps lock, the worst and most useless key ever invented

i'd post a picture of my modded type 6 with two left control keys but i don't want to inflict the shame of my filthy desk on the world.

clean your loving desk, it's gross :barf:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

computer toucher posted:

ACTUALLY ITS THE BEST

CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

C64 had a mechanical shift lock. That was the best

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

CPColin posted:

I like when I shut down Mint

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Marzzle posted:

how do you keep track of a lot of stuff on a regular editor?

Use an ide

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
A "Text editor" is for editing text

An "integrated development environment" is for development

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"how so people drive nails with a screw driver, i don't get it?!"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's such a flawed premise. literally nobody wants this.

maybe it's got appeal for like, bringing linux to the 3rd world?

it probably looks good in some exec's cv. "launched a tablet something something" and nobody will ever ask what tablet and how well it did

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i don't get what is it with all this also-ran hardware and software. it's "i'm an ideas guy" except on executive level. everybody wants to release <thing> but nobody wants to commit to actually making <thing> good

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Broken Machine posted:

yeah, that could be the issue; using a ps/2 keyboard may fix it..

Cool post from 1999

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Celexi posted:

ps/2 has lower latency

in what universe does the difference between the latencies matter?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Celexi posted:

it isn't about the base rate but that cpu fluctuations or intensive cpu use add a poo poo ton of input lag. if you never did anything that made that happen is because you probably never did anything that stressed the CPU, unless it were to be a usb 3 keyboard or thunderbolt/firewire with direct bus access but that doesn't exist.

unless you like having input lag when working or editing i guess

holy poo poo, you're doing exactly the same as audiophiles complaining about jitter with digital signals

the cpu fluctuations caused input lag, this would not have happened if i had a 20 year old computer that had ps/2 ports :qq:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

triple sulk posted:

I'm Cortana

Skype me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

gabensraum posted:

this post has convinced me, i'll call them pings now.

rip pee en gee, 1996-2016

It has explicitly been 'ping' since day 1 :milk:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

you probably can't pronounce gif correctly either

probably, but i pronounce jpeg "jayfeg"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

mike12345 posted:

mu4e is nice, if you're already using emacs.

why would you use emacs?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Has anyone made a linux text editor that works normally, ie ctrl-s is save, ctrl-c is copy, ctrl-v is paste, ctrl-z is undo and so on?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
... that works in the terminal, i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

eschaton posted:

pico and nano have kind of tried to be that, except pico uses a bunch of DEC TOPS-20 conventions instead of modern (Macintosh) conventions and nano is a version of pico infected with GNU like huitlacoche

yes, i'm aware of nano, and it's the closest linux has to a usable text editor, but it uses nonstandard keys, even going as far as acknowledging that the user pressed ctrl-s and instead of saving the file, it complains to the user: "XOFF ignored, mumble mumble"