Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

pointsofdata posted:

i would consider using fedora for my linux needs if it wasn't called fedora

Trilby Linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
lol that macbook SSDs aren't self-encrypting drives yet (will they ever be?)

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

why would you put the encryption in the drive, that's idiotic

are you serious?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

ugh i am this close to getting a macbook pro. it's linux that Just Works as far as i'm concerned.

how good are they at keeping themselves cool under load though? some friends who own mbps have told me theirs can get p toasty

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

no. they have an aes-xts fde layer in their os which works on any block device ever made (not just ssds), doesn't depend on firmware written by the storage industry to not have security flaws, and has a number of other advantages such as being architected to allow your regular user password to unlock the drive, allow multiple user accounts' passwords to unlock the drive, allow them to offer an optional service where an extra unlock key is generated and stored with apple for disaster recovery if you forget your password, and more. (the disaster recovery feature is for users who are interested in encrypting to protect their laptop from petty theft rather than :tinfoil: :nsa: obvs)

their fde uses the aes-ni acceleration block integrated into all modern intel cpus. it can keep up with the fastest ssds apple is shipping without chewing much cpu time

literally the only downside is that it doesn't push the encryption out to the disk to satisfy spergs

actually the real only downside is that sandforce controllers want to be able to compress data to hit their max performance and lol if u think the drive can compress aes encrypted data. but also lol if u think apple sources very many ssds with a sandforce controller

thanks for this post. sounds like sw aes will suit my needs

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
your post brings me little pleasure, keyvin

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

if you want a linux that's the same as it was last time you installed a linux, try debian or slackware

or centos

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mr Dog posted:

buttery smooth

no thanks

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
i second that same

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
the votes are in: i'm forking my posting into the gas chamber

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
my NeXT computer will be an apple computer, op

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
so is a thinkpad still the best non-apple laptop?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

this was extremely helpful, thank u!

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
sorry, that was me. my bad

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Palace of Hate posted:

loosethos/sparrow os/temple os sure has a strange version naming convention
also i think this man is ill

he has schizophrenia. poor guy. :(

compuserved fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 22, 2014

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
terry davis posted in yospos a few years back, but i can't find his posts or the losethos/templeos thread in which he posted

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=177830

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Broken Machine posted:

I don't mean to single you out here but it's considered bad form to phrase it like that; it'd be more appropriate to say he has schizophrenia. Otherwise it sounds like that's all he is as a person.

i understand what you're saying, and you're right that it could be phrased better. i appreciate you saying that. i'll go back and edit my post.

compuserved fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 22, 2014

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Be nice. He's come a long way since his first wallpaper.

jfc

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
a coworker does all of her development work inside a crunchbang VM. work provides centos dev VMs for us already, idk why she doesn't just use one of those

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
slash dot dot org. LOL

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
lol linux kernel :thumbsup:

LWN posted:

When asked about this problem, XFS maintainer Dave Chinner quickly wondered why the memory-management code was resorting to the OOM killer rather than just failing the problematic memory allocation. The XFS code, he said, is nicely prepared to deal with an allocation failure; to him, using that code seems better than killing random processes and locking up the system as a whole. That is when memory management maintainer Michal Hocko dropped a bomb by saying:

quote:

Well, it has been an unwritten rule that GFP_KERNEL allocations for low-order (<=PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER) never fail. This is a long ago decision which would be tricky to fix now without silently breaking a lot of code. Sad...

The resulting explosion could be heard in Dave's incredulous reply:

quote:

We have *always* been told memory allocations are not guaranteed to succeed, ever, unless __GFP_NOFAIL is set, but that's deprecated and nobody is allowed to use it any more.

Lots of code has dependencies on memory allocation making progress or failing for the system to work in low memory situations. The page cache is one of them, which means all filesystems have that dependency. We don't explicitly ask memory allocations to fail, we *expect* the memory allocation failures will occur in low memory conditions. We've been designing and writing code with this in mind for the past 15 years.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

xubuntu is a freakin POS

the umass amherst math dept had a bunch of computers running xubuntu and a handful running centos in their computer lab (as of may 2013). idk why the weird mix

edit: lol i forgot, the undergrad math tutoring center was running XP on all machines in tyool 2013 as well

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

lol

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
release the centos 7.1

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Athas posted:

I can report Debian on the ThinkPad X250 as a very needs suiting laptop for hacking. I only had to apply one kernel patch and compile and install one Xorg video driver from Git.

what did you have to do specifically? looking to get a thinkpad soon and i'm wondering if i'll run into this

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you want to be completely certain, lenovo has a "certified for linux" program. the x250 isn't on their matrix yet, but the x1 carbon is

i assume the x250 will get added once an rhel or ubuntu release includes the needed graphics drivers rather than getting them from git or something

thanks nbsd. i'm looking to install centos 7 so it's really helpful that they say which laptops are rhel 7 certified.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

cmon can i get a "rhel yeah!!" in here??

lol

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

the best python

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
for years i just assumed that [ was a shell builtin but lol there's actually a /usr/bin/[ on my system lol

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams mentions an extremely dull planet, inhabited by a bunch of depressed humans and a certain breed of animals with sharp teeth which communicate with the humans by biting them very hard in the thighs. This is strikingly similar to UNIX,

http://www.linusakesson.net/programming/tty/

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

Holy lol initramfs.c is loving horrible in the kernel.

I'm going to just spend a day organizng it and then add xattr support to it.

Edit: no seriously how the gently caress did this poo poo heap make it into mainline?

Global vars thrown about the place, they have enums pointing to a list of pointers that dictate what function is next to run, various structs scattered about, poo poo variable names, bad code flow, etc etc.

Jesus Christ this is bad. MILLIONS OF PEOPLE DEPEND ON THIS PISS POOR CODE! Time to fix this poo poo heap!

it's open sores for a reason

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

mac or windows with fedora under vmware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved