Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Office itself has barely changed in the last 15 years

The major change has been Microsoft moving everything else to a cloud subscription model that makes office basically free once you're using the other stuff.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

meanwhile a perpetual office 2022 pro key in sa-mart costs twenty bucks
There's no such thing as office 2022. Also, those keys are probably not actually legal (they're from companies doing things like reselling volume keys in violating of their license) so it would be a bad idea to use them for a company and they could theoretically stop working in the future although that's unlikely.

The best legit deal for personal use is currently the office 365 family plan which gets you something like (1TB of storage + 5 desktop installations of office ) x 5 users and can periodically be picked up for like $60, although who knows if that will last.

I don't think libreoffice is actually in itself necessarily worse than office in most ways but it does have a problem with catching on in that 1) it's hard to be 100% compatible with office and nobody wants to be like "sorry your file doesn't work for me because I'm dumb and using libreoffice" and 2) most people either need very little functionality and can use google docs or the web version of office OR are really used to exactly how everything is in office so the differences are incredibly annoying in it's impossible to switch.

There are a lot of companies still using VBA/com add-ins for office too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 1, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

how is it possible to get used to exactly how things are in office, the application suite where every application works differently and the interface can be completely rearranged between versions
That's like saying "how is it possible to get used to how things are in vim, when it's all customizable, and have trouble switching to emacs"

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only there was some way I could use Linux without having to deal with zfs configuration minutiae

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

the worst that can happen to an opensource project is that it's cryogenically frozen if it stops receiving maintenance, until someone else picks it up
OpenOffice proves that, no, that isn't the worst that can happen

mystes
May 31, 2006

OpenOffice is like Schrodinger's cat except you're locked in the box with the cat and it's using you as a scratching post

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

isn't ubuntu due for another LTS soon
Yes, this April

mystes
May 31, 2006

what's the terminal emulator got to do with anything?
No

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

zsh is only good because of oh-my-zsh. Which is very very good.
oh-my-zsh is the worst name and that's saying a lot

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

A bunch of people with jobs that require them not to move for hours a day became older, and their metabolism slowed down. What a shock!
The "metabolism slowing down" thing isn't really a real thing (or at least it's basically insignificant until you're really old) but being sedentary can definitely make you fat

mystes
May 31, 2006

hifi posted:

people are fat because of corn syrup. with the ethanol in the gas nowdays you get "corn syrup brain" from the volatilized corn free radicals
That's why we need to go back to good old fashioned leaded gasoline (it tastes better too)

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Gnome is good but it’s cringe when people pronounce the G. Guh-nome.
Guh-nope

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

wait do y'all just memorize every hostname you have to SSH into or the stupidly long chain of commands to connect to random containers in k8s or your local docker cluster??? genuinely confused as to why y'all hate aliases like this
for ssh hostnames you can just define them in your ssh config file which is different from shell aliases

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycophobia posted:

found an ugly but quite functional dual pane file manager called double commander. wanted something comparable to altap salamander in windows and i think this just about fits the bill
If you don't already know that these are all norton commander clones this might give you the appropriate term to google for

mystes
May 31, 2006

feeling cute, might reformat later

mystes
May 31, 2006

Where the gently caress are you even getting 8k video?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, what's the actual point of mentioning this? Nobody's going to buy a GPU that takes up two or three daughterboard slots to put in a HTPC.
I'm not sure they're going to put an FPGA in it either

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just use jellyfin and run the client app on my tv

mystes
May 31, 2006

RokosCockatrice posted:

Wait, if I have a bluetooth headset, I have to drop the audio quality down to potato levels to have a mic? How is that a thing in 2022?
Because bluetooth is dumb, OP

Bluetooth LE Audio is finally supposed to fix that though

mystes
May 31, 2006

RokosCockatrice posted:

I don't understand, if I connect this headset to my phone or set up a Windows machine, will it also sound like garbage if I try to use the mic? Something doesn't add up here
Go try it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think a lot of people just haven't noticed before because they were only using the microphone to make normal phone calls and phone call quality was crap until recently.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

bluetooth is total poo poo and should have been abandoned 20 years ago
It's massively overcomplicated but they keep changing the protocols anyway so maybe it will eventually not suck.

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's basically everything nowadays
Everything except systemd, brtrfs, and kubernetes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

It has to do with the amount of bandwidth they're allowed to send out iirc I ran into that trying to find a Bluetooth headset for my ps5.... The ones that sound good are basically using WiFi chiplets in the usb adapter to get around it
Or just using a proprietary protocol like airpods

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amethyst posted:

yeah it sucks. apparently there is some fuckery you can do with jack or pipewire to fix it but I can't be bothered
Isn't that just to automatically switch between profiles? I don't think the current profiles allow the problem to be fixed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

those aren't profiles, profiles are things like HFP/HSP and A2DP, those are codecs and the reason why nobody supports encoding using any of those codecs is that encoding has licensing fees but decoding is free
If your headset has aptx, the manufacturer bought a chipset made by Qualcomm to use. They don't need to license the codec.

Anyway, the problem is just that the Bluetooth profiles don't allow high quality bidirectional audio, period. It has nothing to do with licensing.

Some stuff like aptx ll may break the specs to do it but it's not generally supported.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think I did actually get throttled using youtube-dl once a few years ago although I'm not 100% sure.

I downloaded a huge amount of extremely short videos from some channel over a short period and then YouTube was glacial from my ip address for like a week or two regardless of software or device.

(This is separate from any recent issues with mainline youtube-dl being throttled which might be what you're referring to.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 1, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

You realize that if you want a linux server you can just run linux, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

if you're using wsl2 you're using a vm.
wsl1 is based off the freebsd technology called linuxulator that microsoft saw while they ported dtrace from freebsd, which uses syscall translation.
It's based on work they did for a previous attempt to support Android apps on windows

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

eh? the xbox, ps3 and switch all use nvidia gpus. that covers everyone
:hmmyes:

mystes
May 31, 2006

nah, nvidia moved all the fun stuff onto a risc-v based secure enclave that's on the gpu - which is why it only works for turing and newer gpus
so all the fun features are still locked behind a proprietary wall
Lol that they just added a processor so they could put as much as possible in a binary blob and still "open source" the driver

mystes
May 31, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Snaps are just so horribly implemented. Even just the fact that they require a completely non-negotiable and fixed ~/snaps/ directory is insane.

I will literally never use snaps. Never.
I feel like snaps are one of those dumb Ubuntu things where the idea isn't terrible, but the implementation is bad, and more importantly since they just went and did it on their own there's already a better, more standard alternative (Flatpak) so there's no reason for it to exist in the first place.

For some reasons ubuntu keeps doing this with stuff like Mir and Upstart although I guess snap is even dumber because snapd is closed source.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh it's just the store that's closed source? I guess that's not nearly as bad but they still should just use flatpak

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kamrat posted:

China is ditching Windows in favor of Linux when it comes to government services and the like, if this is really true we could expect to see more Linux users in general in China which could have an effect on the available software for Linux and hardware compatibility which in turn could make Linux a more viable choice here in the west for people still on the fence. :china:
I doubt it but sure I guess as long as they just use random Linux distributions rather than their own.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, probably 70% of us still use sysv cron and init because :corsair:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I need to change a setting so linux will just kill firefox when I run out of memory so I don't have to run to hit alt+sysrq+f as fast as possible when it starts swapping

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

how many tabs do you have open? it's ok, this is a safe space.
I have to admit that the one problem I have with i3 is that I tend to just accumulate open crap

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like ripgrep-all for searching within non plaintext files (it adds filters for various file types to ripgrep), although I have to limit it to one thread or it uses all my ram.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

if you didnt internalize the things on either side of this pipe years ago and still consider it 'scary' i dont want you grepping my code, let alone editing or making changes to it unsupervised. just ask me for the file and edit it in notepad++ or whatever, as you do, send me the file back and i'll take a look-see.
If only we had some sort of system for managing changes to code so that people could edit the files locally on their own computer without the risk of accidentally screwing up the central repository

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have to say that lazygit is a decent name as far as dumb software names go