Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
There is not nearly enough hate mail ITT. Do your best Jon Fitch impersonation and report back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kinda quiet in that regard. I got one message of 'For gently caress's sake!' after I got a flash KO with Robbie Lawler in like 20 seconds.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

It makes it hard because the game doesn't add players to recently met for PS4 like other games.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gustafsson is just so elusive, Mike.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

So nobody is picking brazilian fighters and sending their opponent excuses when they lose?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Skjorte posted:

My R2 button broke earlier today, so I'm 'retiring', too.

Had a good run, though. Almost a full two weeks with my brand new console. :(

Isn't that covered under the warranty?

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
So weird that everyone can plow through white and purple belt, then struggle in brown. I think I was 20-1 going into brown then lost 5 or 6 in a row, got busted back to purple, didn't lose until I got back to brown, then lost a bunch again. I guess the promotion/relegation system is there for balance but I think I'm in a Franklinweight skill spot where purple is no challenge, and brown belt guys are demolishing me, so I'd rather just fight in purple endlessly for kicks and hate messages after Fitching people with Sonnen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If it's anything like other EA Sports games, and I'm willing to bet it is, it's probably because there's a bunch of invisible scripting that kicks in during higher ranks where you end up getting rocked more often from punches and suffering more flash knockouts than you do in lower ranks.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Aurain posted:

If it's anything like other EA Sports games, and I'm willing to bet it is, it's probably because there's a bunch of invisible scripting that kicks in during higher ranks where you end up getting rocked more often from punches and suffering more flash knockouts than you do in lower ranks.

Don't be crazy, my IF Marquardt is beating everybody left and right!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Regrettable posted:

Isn't that covered under the warranty?

I'm an imbecile when it comes to these things, so I figured I was screwed since I told the salesclerk, "No, I don't need to pay for 2-3 years of guaranteed anything; I'm just going to be playing this one game in 2014, anyway." Maybe I ought to look into it!

"Aurain posted:

I'm almost certain that's not the case here. I was getting nothing but decisions (both for and against me) for a long time after becoming comfortable at black belt, with less than a handful flash KOs (most of which were random Jones' body shots). If you rock someone standing, if you don't have them cornered or you don't have the superman punch in your repertoire, it's difficult to capitalize, since your fighter doesn't have much of a sense of urgency to close the distance.

Although, if you manage to beat them into the get-in-my-mount position, you have an almost guaranteed kill shot by posturing down, then posturing up for what appears to be an unblockable hammerfist. I've had some people transition really quickly into half guard to save themselves, but whenever someone tries to do it to me, I'm dead.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUMAN CHESS

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Riotgrrill posted:

Don't be crazy, my IF Marquardt is beating everybody left and right!

Oh god, if there was a way to monetize this game further you know they'd do it.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I love when people leave their mics on and complain about you taking them down HE'S JUST LAYING ON ME!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ty1990 posted:

I love when people leave their mics on and complain about you taking them down HE'S JUST LAYING ON ME!

I had a guy keep spamming high kicks so I kept taking him down and going into north-south position. rage quit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

So nobody is picking brazilian fighters and sending their opponent excuses when they lose?

List of reasons to buy this game....growing...

The best thing in any online fighting game is when someone has their Kinect hooked up and doesn't know they're broadcasting voice, and you can hear them bitching to themselves.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

List of reasons to buy this game....growing...

The best thing in any online fighting game is when someone has their Kinect hooked up and doesn't know they're broadcasting voice, and you can hear them bitching to themselves.

This is the best for any game. I once got a teenage boy into a pretty serious argument with his mom over NCAA football and I was there for all of it.

TONY TURN THAT loving GAME OFF RIGHT NOW

LEAVE ME ALONE MOM

IF YOU DON'T TURN IT OFF I WILL

NO!!!! JUST WAIT FOR IT TO BE OVER!!!! I'M PLAYING ONLINE!!! MOM!!!! WHAT THE gently caress!!!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Ty1990 posted:

This is the best for any game. I once got a teenage boy into a pretty serious argument with his mom over NCAA football and I was there for all of it.

TONY TURN THAT loving GAME OFF RIGHT NOW

LEAVE ME ALONE MOM

IF YOU DON'T TURN IT OFF I WILL

NO!!!! JUST WAIT FOR IT TO BE OVER!!!! I'M PLAYING ONLINE!!! MOM!!!! WHAT THE gently caress!!!!

I'm pretty sure I've heard more than a few domestic crimes due to this "feature"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah yeah I have Thiago Silva on my XBL friends list too quit braggin

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Log posted:

I'm pretty sure I've heard more than a few domestic crimes due to this "feature"

The number of screaming children in the background is too much.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hey assholes did we find a centralized place for our gamertags/handles/whateverthefuck they are called?

I'm OldCaptainLog on the Xbone

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Why did you fools buy xbox ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Because the DualShock3, the SixAxis, the XMB, PlaystationHome and PlaystationEye all sucked and past behaviour is the best predictor of future?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If we're going to have a console MMA fight in here I'm going to have to ask you guys to weigh in first. Dibs on towel holder.

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!
Muaar209 on ps4

add me for matches. i dont play ranked online but i play unranked a lot!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Because the DualShock3, the SixAxis, the XMB, PlaystationHome and PlaystationEye all sucked and past behaviour is the best predictor of future?

Somebody certainly doesn't read their stocks and bonds disclaimers!

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

The Duke, the Kinect, the new slow 360 interface, the Vision cam all sucked while the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS+ all owned.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Man, this game is really not good. Probably not a new thought but I've only had it for a few days. The striking is bad, the presentation is really inconsistent, the ground game is bad and in just about every meaningful way it is worse than Undisputed 3.

I'll probably still get my $40 worth and there is a lot of promise that the sequel could be really good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shoota_McG posted:

The Duke, the Kinect, the new slow 360 interface, the Vision cam all sucked while the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS+ all owned.

The 360's exclusive support all but vanished for the last 2 or 3 years before the Bone came out, where the PS3 still has some notable exclusives still to hit, including Persona 5. (Which isn't to everyone's taste, of course).

If past behaviour is the best indicator of future success, there's no argument at all for expecting the Xbone to be decent.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
It's a super flawed product (single player is bad, lack of a proper training mode is dumb, no sprawl and less cage grappling is disappointing, the ground game in general has some irritating exploits, etc.) but I think the actual gameplay mechanics are about as good as they were in Undisputed 3. I cracked the top 100 through sheer attrition a few days ago and have subsequently been too embarrassed to play much, but I find the season-based online experience to be a lot more addictive than the nonsensical Undisputed 3 system that had everyone but really dedicated cheaters max out at the same level.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I still play a ton of 1v1 single player fights every day because I'm completely in love with the fighting mechanics. Mostly the standup. Am I insane?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I still play a ton of 1v1 single player fights every day because I'm completely in love with the fighting mechanics. Mostly the standup. Am I insane?

Yep.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I probably put a couple of hundred hours into Undisputed 3, and while it had a better and deeper career mode, the actual fighting mechanics and the fluidity in this game is much better

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!

Kilometers Davis posted:

No. This game gets a ton of undeserved hate. There's a few glaring flaws but the game is good overall.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Hey assholes did we find a centralized place for our gamertags/handles/whateverthefuck they are called?

I'm OldCaptainLog on the Xbone

Ill add you tonight or if i can be bothered sorting out smartglass whilst at work. xbone gt is: no wizards k

sometimes im on at odd hours because im australian.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

It feels so dirty playing online as Clay Guida and just taking people down and laying on them the whole fight. But it's so much fun and listening to them call bullshit every time Guida takes them down is hilarious.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

MagicCube posted:

It feels so dirty playing online as Clay Guida and just taking people down and laying on them the whole fight. But it's so much fun and listening to them call bullshit every time Guida takes them down is hilarious.

I could die a happy man if I could meet Pettis on the battlefield of online gaming and do this.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

That's pretty funny because I play a ridiculous amount of fighting games and think the Dualshock is far superior to Xbox's clunky, unresponsive analog.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Regrettable posted:

That's pretty funny because I play a ridiculous amount of fighting games and think the Dualshock is far superior to Xbox's clunky, unresponsive analog.

...OK, if we're doing this, fine. It's the layout. Yes, for traditional fighting games and some 2D shooters and platformers, the DualShock is great. Anything 3D? The left stick is in the wrong place, the triggers are so awful most developers use L1/R1 in cases where you're driving or shooting, defeating the whole purpose of L2/R2 being clearly analog triggers. It still has the crappy SixAxis and pressure-sensitive button gimmickry, not to mention that, on release, they didn't have rumble. In 2006!

Add to that me finding the XMB totally style-over-substance, and stuff like the PSN store taking forever to load, not to mention poo poo crashing on both my PS3s. A lot. (And yes, I said BOTH. I replaced one when it YLOD'ed on me... with a brand new game still inside, because they didn't think to make the disc eject work even if the system won't boot on the fat models)

My PS3, for a LONG-rear end time has been used for Sony exclusives, blu-rays and sometimes to play old PS2/PS1 games. Oh, wait, I got a slim to replace the old one, so can't do the PS2 games anymore, unless I spend a ton to re-buy them, and that assumes the games are even up on the store.

I adore the Xbox 360 controller. Like I think, D-pad aside, it's the best controller I've ever owned. The D-Pad on the XBone controller is noticeably better. The Kinect voice commands are neat and actually work, meaning I can watch stuff on Netflix without even getting up, if I didn't grab the controller. I also like the whole Live interface. I'm typing this on a Windows 8.1 laptop, while my Windows Phone 8 charges, with my XBone on, and my 360 is sitting next to it. Part of this is sunk cost, of course. I own a lot of poo poo on the 360 store, and the Windows video and music stores, so I wanna keep it. But it's not a knee jerk reaction to the brand, it's experience with the PS3.

Hell, even when my 360 RRODed (and was repaired quickly, covered by MS and has been fine ever since), I was able to get the disc out. My experience has even had the MS stuff BREAK better.

TL;DR: Combination of bad experiences and personal preference means I prefer the Xbox. I'll probably get a PS4 at some point after Uncharted 4 is out, and it'll serve the same function as the Triple, an exclusives machine and a blu-ray player for the other room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Asymmetric analog sticks are for literal subhumans hth

• Locked thread