Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm a Microsoft hater Mac lover, but it does boil down to the controllers and availability of Halo for me. Always hated the PS1 controller onwards.

The first console shooter I got really loving good at was Goldeneye and I still play inverted. I can see this transitioning better to the Xbox control scheme.

I think the PS3/4, for a pure gaming console worked pretty drat well aside from the controller. But Microsoft got that one stop shop entertainment console experience down a lot faster.

As the game goes, has anyone done a good bothering worthy of internet words lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
all I want to know is does Francis Carmont make weird grunting noises when he fights like he does irl

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The judges give a lot of 10-8 rounds.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Captain Log posted:

As the game goes, has anyone done a good bothering worthy of internet words lately?

All I've been getting are exasperated sighs and yells as I double leg someone for the tenth time in the round as one of Guida/Nurmy/Chael or McMann.

Edit: I'm dying here. Not even in video game world should Clay Guida be able to take down Jose Aldo and GNP the poo poo out of him in 1 minute. Too friggin' funny.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The judges give a lot of 10-8 rounds.

yes

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
In EA MMA you could take someone down and just throw babby punches and the game will give you 10-7, so it looks like their judging system still sucks.

UFC 3 had a really good system even though it heavily weighted damage dealt and ignored things like you winning a round except for getting rocked once.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

TL;DR: This long post

The XMB is so much more responsive than the Xbox UI in its 9000th or so revision that it's unreal. It's quick and easy to get to anything you might want to change about the system and it's not trying to get you to buy Birds Eye Fish Fingers. The stick placement is a subjective matter entirely. Almost nothing uses SIXAXIS and pressure-sensitive buttons but anything entirely optional that allows you to fit more control functions on your control pad without the cost of altering its shape is an objectively good thing for a controller.

The L2 and R2 on the DualShock 3 are rubbish and L1/R1 are used primarily because the shape of L2 and R2 leave the natural resting position of your fingers on those instead of the triggers. The PS4 pad is absolutely amazing, and solved the problem of the neutral resting position being on L1/R1. The PS3 store crashes a bunch because it was never a inbuilt app on it on the first place through bad design, it used to be a web page and has gone through around 6 revisions. The in-game XMB and Trophies are slow because of that as well. The PS4 store is also kind of wonky and sometimes doesn't load right.

Most importantly, you don't need to pay a PS+ subscription to access your Fight Pass/Netflix/WWE Network/Internet Explorer on either Sony console.

EA UFC still seems to be holding its price healthily, rather than slowly losing a couple of £ over time. I guess that's what happens when the new consoles have nothing worth playing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So uh is the point to just wing strikes at the other guy? Maybe I'm getting too old to have a good reaction time but it seems like if you actually block the volume of strikes your opponent can throw (my MT guy averages like 120 sig. strikes a fight) you'll never actually accomplish anything because the transition from blocking strikes -> throwing strikes and vice versa is incredibly slow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From what I've seen, the main point of the striking game is to parry the oppenent's strikes and then hit them with counters for increased damage. I think the game's animations generally allow a counter to be thrown for every successful parry.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Unless the other guy moves out of the way or parries your counterstrike, you're pretty much guaranteed a hit if you successfully parry someone.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I'm still enjoying this game, but the huge problem it has right now is the judging... so I guess it's just like real life. Takedowns win fights. Period. The are so highly valued, I just lost a fight I had more ground passes, more damage done, higher percent sig strikes, higher percentage strikes, and multiple knockdowns per round to his 0 knockdowns and he had 10 takedowns. It really hurts the online play.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I like the judging, honestly. I'm sure it'd be infuriating if someone won purely by taking you down, but I haven't run into that problem in... err, way too many matches than anyone ought to have played. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting taken down despite defending it before the guy even got to me, and that's super frustrating, but I'm way more annoyed by how easy it is to get submissions and how posture up/posture down gives free, unblockable shots than I am by silly judging. Love that they give out both 10-8 and 10-7 rounds, too.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Oh cool, career mode does have super fights. My middleweight champion just got a fight against LHW champion Gustafsson after 4 title defenses. Now if only I could switch weight classes.

Edit: But it was only 3 rounds despite being the main event.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 10, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've been going on a tear of BF4 lately and need to get into this game. Did anyone ever get GAMEFACE working for the Bone? I had all these hopes and dreams of creating some fun characters and I really cannot get into the CAF system at all.

Aaaaaand I'm pretty sure I'm too stupid to master the controls but I can deal with that.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Skjorte posted:

I like the judging, honestly. I'm sure it'd be infuriating if someone won purely by taking you down, but I haven't run into that problem in... err, way too many matches than anyone ought to have played. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting taken down despite defending it before the guy even got to me, and that's super frustrating, but I'm way more annoyed by how easy it is to get submissions and how posture up/posture down gives free, unblockable shots than I am by silly judging. Love that they give out both 10-8 and 10-7 rounds, too.

The other tipoff that the judging is broken is that it's not in sync with what Goldie/Rogen say. At the end of the fight they'll pick a winner that matches up with the fight statistics, but the judging results don't.

I only get caught in submissions if I'm dumb and don't manage my stamina. I definitely get taken down a lot even when i defended on time as well, it even happens when you have higher stamina and a good takedown defense rating. I read the posture up/down thing somewhere else, and i've tried it, and honestly it's not true. There are graphical delays sometimes so it might seem like it hits, but it doesn't register or do damage. There are different windows that occur after a blocked stand up attempt so if someone postures down then up, just hold block and standup attempt right after the block, then block the next strike and transition and you'll have the advantage (meaning you can get the transition off before he postures again)

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Captain Log posted:

Aaaaaand I'm pretty sure I'm too stupid to master the controls but I can deal with that.

This is exactly why I don't play fighting games. I can't ever remember what all the buttons do. Probably why I've always enjoyed Mario so much.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

TheMirage posted:

The other tipoff that the judging is broken is that it's not in sync with what Goldie/Rogen say. At the end of the fight they'll pick a winner that matches up with the fight statistics, but the judging results don't.

I only get caught in submissions if I'm dumb and don't manage my stamina. I definitely get taken down a lot even when i defended on time as well, it even happens when you have higher stamina and a good takedown defense rating. I read the posture up/down thing somewhere else, and i've tried it, and honestly it's not true. There are graphical delays sometimes so it might seem like it hits, but it doesn't register or do damage. There are different windows that occur after a blocked stand up attempt so if someone postures down then up, just hold block and standup attempt right after the block, then block the next strike and transition and you'll have the advantage (meaning you can get the transition off before he postures again)

Goldie/Rogan will highlight one area that someone did particularly well in (usually just in the third round, I think?), from knocking the opponent down to stuffing a high percentage of takedowns, but it only makes sense that they don't predict the winner in every fight. The most broken thing about decisions is that the result of split decisions are spoiled by the way Buffer reads them aloud (eg. 29-28, 28-29, 29-28).

I don't mind getting caught in submissions when my stamina is low, but fighters with really high submission stats can catch other fighters way too easily, even when they've got almost full stamina. I have 100+ submissions on the black belt level, and most of them felt pretty fluky because of how easy they are to get with Diaz and TKZ. The top-level players are known to abuse the hell out of the posture thing, so it's definitely not just a myth. You're not gonna get KO'ed by the guaranteed, non-modified g'n'p strike, but it does score points and keep you in place.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I changed my mind, this game is mostly good but it is unfinished. The game starts of really challenging as the early opponents have seemingly much better stats than you. Now that I have points to spend, I've loaded up my BRH, punching speed and my chin. I think I am 8-0 and have Dynamic Fastener as my sponsor. Life is good, I even got a KO of the night.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So I'm not going to buy this but who has made a Rock Meatbrick, shortest man in his division, wrestler and man of perfect topgame, provocateur of rage? Because that was the best fun I had in the Undisputed games.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
So in light of UFC 176 being canceled and all, I thought it might be fun to stage a replacement card. I don't have the game and I don't have a setup that would allow me to capture video right now, but I'd be up for organizing some matches and making a joke GDT for it if anyone's interested.

I was thinking we'd recreate as much of the card as possible... but unless the roster has been updated tremendously, it looks an awful lot like only two of the fights on that card are possible to make in the game.

So I've got a new idea that involves an 8 man tournament and forcing each character to play with a stupid gimmick for the duration of the tournament (Jon Jones can only throw elbows, Shogun isn't allowed to defend takedowns, etc.).

Anyway, just an idea. Anyone who posts in the monthly UFC thread somewhat regularly and can record matches interested? I'm not sure how realistic it is to think 8 of you are willing to do this dumb thing, but I'm very open to other ideas for this seeing as I've never played the game.

I'm making this fake GDT with or without the video game fights, just thought it'd be a fun thing to include.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Both consoles the game is on have streaming to twitch functionality, though I don't know if the saving to archives feature works via console to store it for future viewing if someone misses the event.

Editing footage to share on PS4 is simple, can't speak for Xbox.

So in theory, anyone with good upload that doesn't throttle so video quality doesn't tank should be eligible to host the event and stream it.
The idea shouldn't be too difficult if enough people with the game want to play.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Aurain posted:

Both consoles the game is on have streaming to twitch functionality, though I don't know if the saving to archives feature works via console to store it for future viewing if someone misses the event.

Editing footage to share on PS4 is simple, can't speak for Xbox.

So in theory, anyone with good upload that doesn't throttle so video quality doesn't tank should be eligible to host the event and stream it.
The idea shouldn't be too difficult if enough people with the game want to play.

Oh poo poo. Good to know. That makes this seem much more plausible.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm down with this idea. Replace impossible matches with Jones/Gus and other classics.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven't played online yet but I'm probably down. Sounds fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If you all tell me how to do things, I'll make a fool of myself online. Can this be mic'd?

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Solid start. I've got high standards here, but I'm willing to accept all four people who've responded so far into the tournament.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm down with this idea. Replace impossible matches with Jones/Gus and other classics.

So my thinking was that people have probably seen a lot of footage of this game now and/or played it a lot, so it would be necessary to have some sort of gimmick to get anyone to watch it, but if you all think I'm wrong, I'm fine with doing straight matches.

Captain Log posted:

If you all tell me how to do things, I'll make a fool of myself online. Can this be mic'd?

Yes but you have to do a terrible impression of the fighter you're playing as

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Might be best to list what your console is if you're up for it.

I know Captain Log said he has Xbox One.

I don't have the game, so I can't play.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

You raise good points.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
can you make Teila Tuli in this game?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm on PS4. Tag is tylerdonchez if anybody wants to play at any point.

I just got to the black belt division and am 30-11 so far. I think about 8 of my losses have come via getting stuck in the thai clinch and eating knees until I died. I finally figured out the way to avoid this so that's a big step.

One thing I can't do for the life of me is keep my opponent down. The minute I land a takedown my opponent can stand back up without too much trouble. Even if I get them into mount they can get up from that, I'm assuming they just mash L3. Anybody know how I can block those transitions?

This game is pretty fun online, I will admit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The thing I can't get is for the controls to "flow" or however you would want to put it. I used to be some kind of God damned savant with Soul Caliber back in the day just because all the controls (whether in the arcade or at home) made perfect sense. To be good in a fighting game you don't need to have a system where you think about what buttons you are pressing. Anytime I play this game all I am doing is going, "Ummm, press a? Nope...left stick x? Nope..."

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

One thing I can't do for the life of me is keep my opponent down. The minute I land a takedown my opponent can stand back up without too much trouble. Even if I get them into mount they can get up from that, I'm assuming they just mash L3. Anybody know how I can block those transitions?
Do these right when you see them start moving. You usually only have a 1-2 second window to do it.

R2 + Down = Block standing attempts
R2 + Up = Block submission attempts
R2 + Left/Right = Block transitions left/right

It's pretty funny and devastating blocking standing attempts from mount as you basically just throw the guy's legs right back down and end up postured up. It's also great if you block a standing attempt from side control because you get a free pass to mount as well since transitions after a block are unblockable.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MagicCube posted:

Do these right when you see them start moving. You usually only have a 1-2 second window to do it.

R2 + Down = Block standing attempts
R2 + Up = Block submission attempts
R2 + Left/Right = Block transitions left/right

It's pretty funny and devastating blocking standing attempts from mount as you basically just throw the guy's legs right back down and end up postured up. It's also great if you block a standing attempt from side control because you get a free pass to mount as well since transitions after a block are unblockable.

This has all worked pretty well for me. Thank you.

Any advice on getting up once you're on the bottom? I try to switch my timing up when I go to transition or hit L3 to stand, but none of this seems to work when I face the more advanced players in the game. Sometimes I'm on the bottom eating punches for 3, 4 minutes at a time.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Aurain posted:

Might be best to list what your console is if you're up for it.

I know Captain Log said he has Xbox One.

I don't have the game, so I can't play.

I'd be up for helping out on Xbox One, I'm not buying a copy for PS4.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Ty1990 posted:

Any advice on getting up once you're on the bottom? I try to switch my timing up when I go to transition or hit L3 to stand, but none of this seems to work when I face the more advanced players in the game. Sometimes I'm on the bottom eating punches for 3, 4 minutes at a time.

These are all super basic things, but they work for me against pretty much everyone, so hopefully there's something in here that'll be of use to you:

In mount, block the first postured-up punch, then hold L1 and transition back to half guard (provided your chosen fighter has this transition--some have to give up their back before they can transition to half guard). If the first punch gets through, don't try to transition out yet, since you'll be stuck in your transition-animation, allowing your opponent to hit you with a couple of uninterrupted shots.

From half guard, don't try to transition again immediately. If your opponent is an aggressive ground and pounder, block the first punch and transition to full guard. If your opponent is all about getting to the most dominant position, hold R2 and turn the right stick in the direction you think he's going to move to (either side control or mount), then transition to guard after you've successfully blocked him (as shown by him wiggling around ineffectively for a second).

In guard, you can either scissor sweep your way into mount, push him off, or force the stand-up by holding R2 and pressing the right stick in the direction he tries to move for about 10-20 seconds.

The best players in the game are good at keeping an infinite loop of half-guard/mount/side control going, but occasionally get complacent after they've managed to get the better of the ground game for a while, so mix in some (L3) stand-up attempts from half guard every once in a while. Also, if you're getting desperate and you have full stamina (so RNC attempts won't work on you), give up your back and block. You're not going to win the fight from there, but you might earn a referee stand-up, or force your frustrated opponent to move off of your back and into a position where they might have a tougher time preventing your stand-up attempt.

I've been having a bit of success with my new-fangled Romer Simpson defense, which consists of me letting g'n'p enthusiasts throw hammer fists at me from side control until I'm juuuust about KO'ed. They'll usually think, "Ha! This guy isn't even blocking; he doesn't know he's about to get knocked out!" and just go hog wild until I transition to half guard (If I'm Diaz or TKZ) or full guard (if I'm Zingano, Edgar, Machida, JDS) and submit them.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For the people that really enjoyed UFC 2/3 on 360, how does this stack up? I loved those games and the striking mechanics. It was especially fun to play on simulation becauese you had to fight realisticaly and jab and such while managing cardio instead of just throwing crazy haymakers and roundhouses. How much has that changed? I watched a few vids and the game looked like rock em sock em.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It's pretty arcadey, and there's no 'simulation' setting. It's fun but it doesn't look much like a real UFC fight.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I noticed that if you stay on your back and spam kicks while the other fighter circles you, the game won't stand you up. Also if you wait too long to dive into guard the game will stand you up just as you do it. And back of the head kicks are legal.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

Aubergine Mage posted:

I'd be up for helping out on Xbox One, I'm not buying a copy for PS4.

I'm not sure there's been enough interest to make this thing happen, but it sounds like Xbox makes the most sense assuming it's just as easy to stream stuff from it. I'm totally out of the loop on the current generation of video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
xboner goon roll call - i actually have free time this weekend and will be down for some timezone craziness

gt: no wizards k

• Locked thread