Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
It just flat out looks like they tried hard on some and phoned in others. If I had to guess I'd say that there were different people/teams responsible for different characters.

Fail = Tate, Mousasi, Machida, Condit, Pickett, Lauzon, Chael, Gus, GSP
Amazing = Creepy, Bendo, Rory, Cain, Cub, Cung

The rest are average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

omg chael crash posted:

But, like, what stops all of those wrestling games from worrying about it?Don't they have create a fighter modes with online sharing as well?

Only thing I can think of is EA has nervous lawyers, where THQ didn't give a poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MacDougall posted:

It just flat out looks like they tried hard on some and phoned in others. If I had to guess I'd say that there were different people/teams responsible for different characters.

Fail = Tate, Mousasi, Machida, Condit, Pickett, Lauzon, Chael, Gus, GSP
Amazing = Creepy, Bendo, Rory, Cain, Cub, Cung

The rest are average.

That GSP is a dead ringer for him, he just looks like exactly what it is though. A vacant faced video game model. I think Chael is the worst we've seen though, he looked like a baked potato.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

triplexpac posted:

Only thing I can think of is EA has nervous lawyers, where THQ didn't give a poo poo.

Also EA actually has money and is worth suing, THQ no longer exists.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, as one of the big stupid gotta-catch-'em-all MMA game fans on the planet (seriously I have a copy of Pride GP 2003 and I played Astral Bout RINGS as a kid what is wrong with me) it worries me that they're ostensibly at most three months away from release and they still haven't shown any raw gameplay footage, especially because the striking animation in that clip today looks a whole lot like EA MMA's which felt insubstantial as hell compared to the THQ games.

But I'm going to buy it day one anyway, so the gently caress does that matter.

If you actually know how that RINGS one works, then you should hook me up.

Also I'm really bummed that I won't be able to make former PRIDE Champion Hulk Hogan this time around :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Has anyone ever sued a video game company over a Create-A-Whatever mode? There has always been sketchyness around them, going back to old wrestling games where they would just give you the parts you need to make characters that would have otherwise been copyrighted.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone ever sued a video game company over a Create-A-Whatever mode? There has always been sketchyness around them, going back to old wrestling games where they would just give you the parts you need to make characters that would have otherwise been copyrighted.

IIRC Goonfleet sued EVE devs CCCP over copyright issues on Goonfleet's logos.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Aurain posted:

I will never understand the cult of Bruce Lee.

He was one of the most important figures in popularizing traditional martial arts at a time when most Americans knew nothing about them, and then he died young as his career was peaking. Basically perfect conditions to create a legend or cult.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
He also was a cool dude who made entertaining movies and taught non-Chinese students martial arts at a time when that was frowned upon. He pretty much rules and I don't understand how anyone could dislike him. He trained like a maniac as well.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 3, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He also made a cool book about the proper techniques for biting people and punching ballsacks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He was a huge pioneer in the use of performance enhancers as well as the concept of MMA in general. Rather than focus on bullshit mysticism, he focused on what worked.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
new guys added: Dominick Cruz, Josh Thompson, Nate Diaz, Jacare Souza

it's cool that Dominick Cruz has now virtually fought in 2 UFC games since the last time he reality fought

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nothing like Cruz, he's in a cage for starters.

That's a decent batch to be honest, Diaz particularly.

e: To clarify re: Lee cult.
I get why people like him and I don't dislike him, what I should probably have said was I don't understand why people think he'd beat any living person on earth in a fight when he never had a professional fight in his life. He had one hell of an amazing agent/publicist aside from his martial art skill though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 3, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aurain posted:

I get why people like him and I don't dislike him, what I should probably have said was I don't understand why people think he'd beat any living person on earth in a fight when he never had a professional fight in his life. He had one hell of an amazing agent/publicist aside from his martial art skill though.

Judo Gene says he's legit. That's good enough for me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Aurain posted:

Nothing like Cruz, he's in a cage for starters.

That's a decent batch to be honest, Diaz particularly.

He beat the unholy gently caress out of Wong Man Jack.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Was that the fight that Lee's people say he ended in like a minute and the more impartial observers said it went on for like 20 minutes at a stalemate and no one won or lost in any real capacity? I know that there's a supposed fight where that happened but the name of the opponent escapes me constantly.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

New clue is "Born in America".

It's not Fedor. Could possibly Bruce Springsteen or Bruce Lee.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Log posted:

According to his friends, and their stories aren't even consistent. Wong Jack Man and his friend claim it was basically a 20 minute draw, published their account in a newspaper, and offered a rematch.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Aurain posted:

Like I said, he was instrumental in popularizing martial arts at a time when few Americans knew anything at all about them. To most people, Bruce Lee was martial arts. You also have to remember that the rise of MMA has been a hugely important phenomenon in martial arts as a arena for figuring out what works. There was a surge of interest in martial arts in the 1960s and 1970s, and then MMA wasn't really a thing until the mid 1990s at the very earliest. In between there was a good 20 years where martial arts were part of pop culture but nobody actually knew how they worked in practical terms, so just making poo poo up was a big part of it. As the most famous martial artist, Bruce Lee was the object of a lot of myths, some of which he had created for purposes of self-promotion. People talk about him in the same way they talk about nonsense like the dim mak death touch, or whatever.

As to whether he was legit, he spent a lot of time around martial artists and athletes and they tended to be respectful of his talents, but he didn't fight competitively and I don't think he even sparred. So it's doubtful. Another thing is that because of MMA, fighting technique has advanced more quickly in the past 25 years than at any time ever, so even if he actually was good by the standards of 1970, by present-day standards he'd be a one-dimensional dinosaur. If you took Matt Hughes circa 2004 back in time and had him fight the best martial artists of the 1970s, he'd probably kill everybody. Lee's importance was as a theorist, teacher, and popularizer. Some of the stuff he came up with seems less impressive now because it's become part of the culture. His argument about discarding styles and just using whatever works is so commonplace now that it seems weird to reflect that it was ever revolutionary, but it was. There was also his commitment to physical conditioning, which wasn't taken seriously by a lot of martial artists at the time, but he really went for it at a level that's still impressive today.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If Bruce Lee really was involved in a lovely 20 minute fight where no one involved has an accurate or consistent account of who won then he really is the original pioneer of MMA.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

omg chael crash posted:

It's not Fedor, Possibly Bruce Springston or Bruce Lee.

Lee was born in San Francisco.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

astrollinthepork posted:

Lee was born in San Francisco.

Meant to say that it can't be Fedor but it could be Lee or Springsteen.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

quote:

"We are doing some new things and some different things than fans have seen in the past. Our submission system involves an onscreen mini-game ... One, the person you're trying to submit is rarely interested in letting you make progress towards your goal of making them tap. In real jiu-jitsu they're looking to move in a way that will alleviate pressure and make it possible to escape. In our game, they have the ability to try and escape by pushing the right stick up, down, left or right. You'll be able to see where they are trying to escape and how close they are to escaping. You can push your right stick in the same direction to lock them down, but they can instantly move in another direction.

Two, there's an element of timing to sinking a submission in deeper. You have to be ready to react when the opening presents itself. Whether it's sliding a forearm under your opponent's chin, or tucking your foot behind your knee in a triangle. This comes in the form of an onscreen prompt to flick your left stick up, down, left or right. Every submission has multiple moves that must be executed before it's locked in 100-percent and each time you advance a move, the defender goes back to square one trying to escape."

Hope it's better than it sounds because it sounds loving terrible.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
The implementation sounds bad but the mechanic could work. If it's 1 tap in a direction at a time then that's lame, but it would be cool if the defensive player had to keep up with the analog stick movements of the offensive player in real-time.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
It was pretty dumb in the THQ games too, so I'm willing to see some change.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Hope it's better than it sounds because it sounds loving terrible.

It sure does. I think even the best submission systems (IMO a tie between Undisputed's cat and mouse and Dreamcast's choke a chunk of their health bar off) aren't even good implementations though. My bad and stupid idea is two systems, depending on if you're using power or technique for the sub. Power is a straight button mash, and technique is like a Simon Says system, filling in a jiu jitsu flowchart from the first step of the submission to the finish.

There would be five end results depending on mini game scoring: Reversal, Defender gains position, Neutral, Attacker gains position, Submission. You could have character traits where a guy like Mir could use the technique method by default in most situations, and Bob Sapp uses the power method in almost every situation, regardless of effectiveness.

It's convoluted sure, but so is this approach of putting in Mortal Kombat fatalities before your opponent does.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

It's not Fedor. Could possibly Bruce Springsteen or Bruce Lee.

hmmmm, well there goes my Manhoef idea.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

omg chael crash posted:

Meant to say that it can't be Fedor but it could be Lee or Springsteen.

I was tired and read it wrong

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
http://instagram.com/p/mYdmBHpMB3/

Jon Jones thinks highly of this mystery fighter.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Shoota_McG posted:

http://instagram.com/p/mYdmBHpMB3/

Jon Jones thinks highly of this mystery fighter.

All that confirms is that you can't use him to challenge for Jones' belt

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

I'm preemptively pissed about how high Bruce Lee's takedown defense and ground game stats are going to be.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

1st AD posted:

Also EA actually has money and is worth suing, THQ no longer exists.

2K exists and is bigger than EA.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

All that confirms is that you can't use him to challenge for Jones' belt

So four weight classes, I guess that eliminates LHW and HW (by deduction). Bruce Lee is looking like a real possibility.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

As to whether he was legit, he spent a lot of time around martial artists and athletes and they tended to be respectful of his talents, but he didn't fight competitively and I don't think he even sparred. So it's doubtful. Another thing is that because of MMA, fighting technique has advanced more quickly in the past 25 years than at any time ever, so even if he actually was good by the standards of 1970, by present-day standards he'd be a one-dimensional dinosaur. If you took Matt Hughes circa 2004 back in time and had him fight the best martial artists of the 1970s, he'd probably kill everybody. Lee's importance was as a theorist, teacher, and popularizer. Some of the stuff he came up with seems less impressive now because it's become part of the culture. His argument about discarding styles and just using whatever works is so commonplace now that it seems weird to reflect that it was ever revolutionary, but it was. There was also his commitment to physical conditioning, which wasn't taken seriously by a lot of martial artists at the time, but he really went for it at a level that's still impressive today.
Stuff like what you've described here is part and parcel of Dana White's explanation for considering Bruce Lee the father of MMA. The thing about Bruce Lee's legend is that what he believed/taught/trained is one thing but what he'd do for the cameras was another, especially considering how long people have tended to think of fighting as nigh-exclusively striking to the point that that was what they expected to see in fight scenes, and some of what he taught (at least at one point) doesn't match up with what he'd put on in movies or TV, such as head kicks.

Shoota_McG posted:

So four weight classes, I guess that eliminates LHW and HW (by deduction). Bruce Lee is looking like a real possibility.
What suggests it for me is that the two weights I've heard for Bruce Lee were him at one point bulking up to 165, before deciding that that was too inflexible (range of motion-wise) and slimming down to 126.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

triplexpac posted:

2K Games is carrying on THQ's WWE stuff, and they don't seem to have any interest in changing their create-a-fighter policies right now considering how popular they are.

triplexpac posted:

Not a wrestling game, but back in 2004 Marvel sued the operators of the superhero MMO City of Heroes over players recreating Marvel characters in their character creator. Most of their claims were dismissed by the court for various reasons, and the rest were quietly settled outside of court with no changes to the creator tools.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

triplexpac posted:

A little late, but Marvel sued Cryptic & NCsoft for City of Heroes create-a-character & they settled out of court.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Realistically, in WWE who are you going to create? Either someone who was in WWE and isn't going to sue because that'd be bad form or create someone from a podunk little-league wrestling company like ROH or TNA who don't have the money to fight WWE in a legal battle. And NJPW just don't care.

In MMA, you have Bellator who have Viacom behind them and could cause poo poo. You have Fedor who would probably send Russian goons after the UFC. You have all the boxing people in case you made Money Mayweather. I think the risk is higher, that's why.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LordPants posted:

Realistically, in WWE who are you going to create? Either someone who was in WWE and isn't going to sue because that'd be bad form or create someone from a podunk little-league wrestling company like ROH or TNA who don't have the money to fight WWE in a legal battle. And NJPW just don't care.

In MMA, you have Bellator who have Viacom behind them and could cause poo poo. You have Fedor who would probably send Russian goons after the UFC. You have all the boxing people in case you made Money Mayweather. I think the risk is higher, that's why.

You can download almost any copyrighted and decently known character in the world on WWE.
The Simpsons, Metal Gear Solid, Sesame Street characters... It's crazy.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Yeah, it's Bruce Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Wow, Kill Bill lady is going to be in the new game.

• Locked thread