Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

toadee posted:

Honestly I think the only reason to get a TD-3 or any 303/clone is if you have a legitimate fetish for the exact sound. Otherwise there's other synths that do the same things only "better"/with more options.

Distortion pedal and band pass filters in series with feedback :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I like my TB-03 :colbert:

My current fave acid/techno fancy Shinra uses it and it's jammin af.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

soooo i took the plunge on a push and it is arriving today. now very excited to learn live's instruments :yaycat:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Lots of moog matriarch videos coming out. I guess this is how (synth) companies advertise. I would love to have one, I know it is a buy it for life item. Matriarch, I guess, would supercede the GM, but who cares, GM is special- You can not get a bad tone out of it. The Matriarch otoh could work you harder due to more options.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Pillow Face posted:

soooo i took the plunge on a push and it is arriving today. now very excited to learn live's instruments :yaycat:

Sweet ! Post music :cheersbird:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

excellent bird guy posted:

Lots of moog matriarch videos coming out. I guess this is how (synth) companies advertise. I would love to have one, I know it is a buy it for life item. Matriarch, I guess, would supercede the GM, but who cares, GM is special- You can not get a bad tone out of it. The Matriarch otoh could work you harder due to more options.

The Matriarch is far and away the top of my GAS list, closely followed by the Subharmonicon. Something about their semimodular sensibility just tickles me the right way.

In related news I finally made some robot farts yesterday and I'll try to post it up once I edit it into something resembling music instead of just a 9/8 modular beat.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

The Matriarch loving owns, it’s totally worth it when you consider you’re basically getting two Moog analog delays PLUS an all-analog Moog semi-modular

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Stan Taylor posted:

Didn’t see a post on this but I also didn’t look very hard. Teenage Engineering is teasing a new “magic apparatus.”. Probably not a synth but who knows.

Apparently its a Bluetooth speaker

https://fccid.io/Z23011A?fbclid=IwAR3AopWsgpxcSqjMCEUf9tAGZPZ7FjQZInYSt3KjP1Fe7d6rxLw_H2lb-vg

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao dangit

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Not very analog but it does generate beeps and boops. I've been soldering like a mad man this week to make a norns fates (diy clone), and my first successful test of a monome grid clone from adafruit parts:

Small soldering. 10x loupe helped:

Teensy testing out each board individually first. Glad I did as three of eight were DOA:

RGB frenzy:

Just need to cut/print a case for this button nonsense now.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

drat, that's impressive. good work!

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Not very analog but it does generate beeps and boops. I've been soldering like a mad man this week to make a norns fates (diy clone), and my first successful test of a monome grid clone from adafruit parts:

Just need to cut/print a case for this button nonsense now.

That looks rad, is it gonna be a sequencer type dealy or more of a controller?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks! The platform basically has a ton of audio processing, generating, sequencing, sampling, and filtering scripts. There are two input channels and two output channels on the hardware and the grid interacts with the system in whatever way the current script defines, so it can do both.

The whole thing is very instagram pretentious but also fun to build and play with.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

holy crap, i don't know what is happening here except that it's awesome, can't wait to see it working!

as for analog/digital, i'm currently in love with operator and wavetable, this poo poo is crazy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Small soldering. 10x loupe helped:

Ooh, that's clever. Fine pitch SOIC is tough up at that many pins. Did you have any problems with the tape melting or getting the epoxy off?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Masking tape is super decent as a solder shield, it just chars but usually stays in place. This is enough to get a couple corners tacked with solder, then everything should stay in alignment for the rest of the pins. For doing individual pins you can also make horizontal (in this config) stripes that block off adjacent pins to prevent overspill. That's actually a ton of flux, not epoxy, just the tape holding the chip in place here.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I saw something a while back where the guy had this cool pointy bird-head thing for holding ICs in place. Imagine a drinky bird toy with a head heavy enough to pin the IC in place while you tack the corners.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Good stuff! I have a fates too and it’s an awesome tool in so many ways, mostly sequencing for me but I’m also using it to record and mash up field recordings.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Check out those Nick Batt samples in track 5.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anybody else here ever use the Bindubba? I built one a few months ago and it's neat but a little unwieldy, wondering how others felt

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

i made this, prob could have mixed sections better but i don't wanna spend to much on it when it's largely a "learning push and figuring out workflow" exercise.

https://soundcloud.com/yjk-art/fm-raheem

bass is fm (operator), plucked things is wavetable, the grainy melody is granulator, and the 2 acid lines are td-3. there is no substitute for td-3, i tried real hard to replicate one with a patch via analog and operator but nope.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Pillow Face posted:

i made this, prob could have mixed sections better but i don't wanna spend to much on it when it's largely a "learning push and figuring out workflow" exercise.

https://soundcloud.com/yjk-art/fm-raheem

bass is fm (operator), plucked things is wavetable, the grainy melody is granulator, and the 2 acid lines are td-3. there is no substitute for td-3, i tried real hard to replicate one with a patch via analog and operator but nope.

I dig the laid back tempo.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I recently got a Beatstep Pro, and it's totally changed pointless hour long synth jams for me. I've recorded a few of them, and I plan on uploading one to Youtube at some point, but how can a person write actual songs with this setup? I also have a Tascam DP-006 that I've never learned to use.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

im_sorry posted:

I recently got a Beatstep Pro, and it's totally changed pointless hour long synth jams for me. I've recorded a few of them, and I plan on uploading one to Youtube at some point, but how can a person write actual songs with this setup? I also have a Tascam DP-006 that I've never learned to use.

Can you elaborate? How has the beatstep pro, which is pretty cool, change pointless hour long synth jams. What else do you connect it to?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
If you want more traditional song structure with a step sequencer, write three 16-step patterns: A, B, and C. B can have a little piece of A in it, but C should be completely different. Extend them out to 64 steps each with copy/paste. Tweak to taste.

Clone all sequences and tweak them more. These are A', B', and C'. Here are some traditional sounding chains you can make with your patterns:

AA'BA AA'B'A CC'
AA' BB' AA' BB' CC'
C AA' BB' C'

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think it depends on what your definition of 'actual song' is. I mean there are songs intended to be sung and maybe played on the radio that feature synths and then there are techno/trance/whatever tracks that are intended to just go on and on until everyone in the venue is fully hypnotized.

The latter often each instrument has only a couple sequences that evolve over time and new instruments drifting in and out rather than drastic transitions between sections.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Can you elaborate? How has the beatstep pro, which is pretty cool, change pointless hour long synth jams. What else do you connect it to?

I use it to control my SR-16 and some smaller synths (Volca Bass, Volca FM, and an Uno), and I use its MIDI clock to synchronize my Minibrute 2 and Microkorg. Before, I had a lot of issues getting everything to sync together, although that may be more because of my lack of experience, but since getting the Beatstep Pro, I've learned a lot about how MIDI works. Now that I have everything set up and synchronized, I can actually do pointless hour long synth jams without getting frustrated.

(Also, I love your avatar... it looks a lot like my jenday/nanday conure cross)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Most of my gear will still be in transit until mid October. :sigh:

In the meantime, I'm practicing EWI. I recently remembered that the Full Bucket Music emulation VSTs are a thing, so I grabbed all of the Korg 3000 series. They're just microtonal enough that I can mess around without making my fingerings too bad. The polyphonic keyboard / monophonic patch bay is tickling my brain.

In a good way.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

im_sorry posted:

I use it to control my SR-16 and some smaller synths (Volca Bass, Volca FM, and an Uno), and I use its MIDI clock to synchronize my Minibrute 2 and Microkorg. Before, I had a lot of issues getting everything to sync together, although that may be more because of my lack of experience, but since getting the Beatstep Pro, I've learned a lot about how MIDI works. Now that I have everything set up and synchronized, I can actually do pointless hour long synth jams without getting frustrated.

Whoah I wish I could do that. The synth world is really broad isn't it. There are all these little areas of specialization that one could spend a lot of time, and then get bored of it and move on to the next area. As long as you are happy with the results I think it's all that matters. I'm tying to get into the habit of recording something everyday thus I made my dumb thread for me to post in. If i get real obsessive I can spend all night trying to polish a turd. I'm thinking just churn out a lot of music everyday, good, weird, bad, or ugly, doesn't matter. And in time I'll have lots of trippy recordings to listen to. I had a lot of cassette tapes and dead hard drives, and dead myspace pages thus most of my work is lost to time, unfortunately. Oh well :cheers:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

im_sorry posted:

I think this needs to be my next big step with synth stuff. I know it’s a broad topic but I feel like a moron any time I try to figure out how anything MIDI related works and really all I want to do is consistently have my drumbrute able to sync timing while punching in drum parts.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

So Math posted:

I dig the laid back tempo.

thanks!

massive spider posted:

techno/trance/whatever tracks that are intended to just go on and on until everyone in the venue is fully hypnotized.

The latter often each instrument has only a couple sequences that evolve over time and new instruments drifting in and out rather than drastic transitions between sections.

this is primarily what i listen to. i have a friend who is exploring 90s electronic music, and some of this kind of stuff just doesn't click with him, but i think so much of it doesn't translate if you never experienced it in a live environment on a big system. that's not to say it's not good for listening outside of that, but there was definitely some intent on where the stuff would be heard

currently forging my general workflow that seems to be taking shape of sound design > jam on a scene or 2 > arrangement > individual track automations > global track automations. i was kinda skipping the bookend sound design and automation aspects before and feel like that's what was missing, that it's adding more depth so i guess that is good

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Finally gave into the devil on my shoulder and bought an OP-Z. It's pretty freakin' great.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Seeing the new keystep vomited over the news feeds annoys me. The power switch/plugs should have been there in the first place and I'm more likely to mod it in than replace a perfectly fine controller.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Whoah I wish I could do that. The synth world is really broad isn't it. There are all these little areas of specialization that one could spend a lot of time, and then get bored of it and move on to the next area. As long as you are happy with the results I think it's all that matters. I'm tying to get into the habit of recording something everyday thus I made my dumb thread for me to post in. If i get real obsessive I can spend all night trying to polish a turd. I'm thinking just churn out a lot of music everyday, good, weird, bad, or ugly, doesn't matter. And in time I'll have lots of trippy recordings to listen to. I had a lot of cassette tapes and dead hard drives, and dead myspace pages thus most of my work is lost to time, unfortunately. Oh well :cheers:

I make a fair amount of music (especially when I'm stressing out), but mostly by programming notes directly into the DAW. Since I got the Beatstep Pro, I've started making loops with it on the computer and working on it from there. I'm currently (lazily) trying to figure out how to do something like this without using a computer, but I'm so used to how you edit stuff in a DAW that I'll just go back to the computer. My older brother used to record songs on a 4 track in the 90s, so I should probably talk to him about this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

im_sorry posted:

My older brother used to record songs on a 4 track in the 90s, so I should probably talk to him about this.

tbh yeah those people are where all the good advice is when it comes to figuring out how to make great music without getting stuck in the process.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Finally figuring out recorder trigs on the octa track last night. think I'm getting the hang of using it as an arranger for my other gear

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

im_sorry posted:

I make a fair amount of music (especially when I'm stressing out), but mostly by programming notes directly into the DAW. Since I got the Beatstep Pro, I've started making loops with it on the computer and working on it from there. I'm currently (lazily) trying to figure out how to do something like this without using a computer, but I'm so used to how you edit stuff in a DAW that I'll just go back to the computer. My older brother used to record songs on a 4 track in the 90s, so I should probably talk to him about this.

I mean, this is where the entire genre of hip-hop took off. Sample a few things, slice it up/make some loops, press record on tape machine. Same poo poo, smaller screens. It's one of the big reasons I want to get an older MPC and a Portastudio, to be honest. If you want to get fancy sequence a few bass and lead lines, and thicken the whole thing up with some 808 beats.

The problem with songwriting is that it's not hard to do, but it's extremely hard to do WELL. Especially when you have ADHD and can't finish a loving thing...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

EBB posted:

Seeing the new keystep vomited over the news feeds annoys me. The power switch/plugs should have been there in the first place and I'm more likely to mod it in than replace a perfectly fine controller.

True, but help me decide whether to put the new keystep or the pro on my birthday list anyway. I have a single synth and drum machine if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the USB crapped out on my old keystep and i sold it. i mostly buy yamaha keyboards now at least they don't break on me

but i really really want a wavestate