Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Johnny Truant posted:

Sweetwater really stepping up their treats packages, huh

I didn't get candy!

Fuckers. But this mf sounds great (to me) and now I get to figure out All The Knobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

You guys are psychic. Anytime I briefly browse something, someone in the thread gets it in the mail and I go dammit, I should just get one...

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
The DX7 patches I loaded onto internal memory sound so good. My favorite is a Wurli tone, running it into a Digitone which provides effects. On one hand I'd like a Digitakt because doing all the percussion on one Digitone channel really sucks. So just working around that

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
From the Indie thread: Daft Punk broke up:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/daft-punk-confirm-their-split-after-28-years-2886037

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Article got this wrong

quote:

The video concludes with a dramatic explosion, before a graphic shows the hands of founders Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter in their iconic robot outfits, alongside the dates ‘1993-2001’.

and I thought they meant they were also disavowing anything after Discovery.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I think a Beatstep Pro would take care of CV, and rhyhtm, which would help use external gear and be easy to figure out

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Finally got around to putting the custom Purple aluminum switches on Liven 8bit Warps. I think it helps the build quality, a lot. But the switches aren't perfect, some don't sit flat and it feels kind of hackey in that not all the knobs turn with the same ease...but this hacked together feel works really well for what the Liven is. I'm bring the sound into the Digitone for effects. Not sure about using the sequencer yet, but it's supposed to be powerful.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I posted a while back asking for advice and was recommended a Volca Keys and I loving love this thing. Still don't have a grasp on the more technical stuff but having a blast with it.

Is this the thread to ask about vocoders? I want to make electronic music with lyrics.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a pale ghost posted:

I posted a while back asking for advice and was recommended a Volca Keys and I loving love this thing. Still don't have a grasp on the more technical stuff but having a blast with it.

Is this the thread to ask about vocoders? I want to make electronic music with lyrics.

Arturia Microfreak

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I should record something with my vt4

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

a pale ghost posted:

Ask away. :)

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Arturia Microfreak

I Googled it and this is in my price range, is this something that is beginner friendly? I want to be able to just press a key and have my voice sound like that note as easily as possible. I'm not very tech savvy. I could learn if it's a bit more challenging, but the more user-friendly a device is the better.

edit: From the website: "Connect external sound sources. Process external instruments and sounds through the Vocoder mode for unique formant textures - simply connect to the headphone input via 3.5mm TRRS."

Does this mean I could plug in my Volca Keys and use the sounds I create with it as the vocoder's sound?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 25, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

a pale ghost posted:

I Googled it and this is in my price range, is this something that is beginner friendly? I want to be able to just press a key and have my voice sound like that note as easily as possible. I'm not very tech savvy. I could learn if it's a bit more challenging, but the more user-friendly a device is the better.

seems like a solid choice for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAeMkn2JVw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a pale ghost posted:

edit: From the website: "Connect external sound sources. Process external instruments and sounds through the Vocoder mode for unique formant textures - simply connect to the headphone input via 3.5mm TRRS."

Does this mean I could plug in my Volca Keys and use the sounds I create with it as the vocoder's sound?

I'll admit I haven't used it, but I love everything they make and it's affordable (plus you'll get access to their awesome as poo poo software and they are very generous with their "existing customer" software discounts). So... go for it!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

a pale ghost posted:

No. You talk into the microphone and your words are applied to the Microfreak's sounds.

(You can technically plug your Volca in to the mic port with some kind of cable splitter monstrosity. The timbre of the Volca will be applied to the Microfreak's sounds.)

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

So Math posted:

No. You talk into the microphone and your words are applied to the Microfreak's sounds.

(You can technically plug your Volca in to the mic port with some kind of cable splitter monstrosity. The timbre of the Volca will be applied to the Microfreak's sounds.)

I'm not really familiar with timbre in this context and Google is making it seem like it would be things like the delay, attack, and sustain? or is it something else?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

a pale ghost posted:

I bought my MicroKorg because it has a Vocoder, and it didn't disappoint. I don't know how beginner-friendly it is compared to the Microfreak (probably less?), but you can find them pretty cheap on the second hand market.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

I bought my MicroKorg because it has a Vocoder, and it didn't disappoint. I don't know how beginner-friendly it is compared to the Microfreak (probably less?), but you can find them pretty cheap on the second hand market.

Unfortunately this one seems twice as expensive and breaks my budget a bit, but thank you for the recommendation!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

a pale ghost posted:

I'm not really familiar with timbre in this context and Google is making it seem like it would be things like the delay, attack, and sustain? or is it something else?

Timbre is what distinguishes sounds that have the same pitch. You are able to control the timbre of the Volca by adjusting its filter. (In more technical language, I mean the frequency spectrum of the sound.)

Timbre is also what distinguishes human vowels. The job of a vocoder is to listen to the timbre of one audio signal (the modulator) and apply that timbre to a different audio signal (the carrier).

For the Microfreak, the vocoder will take whatever audio you put in to it, and use that signal as the modulator. I just wanted to make it clear you won't be able to make the Volca sing with the Microfreak's vocoder.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

a pale ghost posted:

Unfortunately this one seems twice as expensive and breaks my budget a bit, but thank you for the recommendation!

MSRP is like $100 more, but you can find them used for around $200.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

So Math posted:

Timbre is what distinguishes sounds that have the same pitch. You are able to control the timbre of the Volca by adjusting its filter. (In more technical language, I mean the frequency spectrum of the sound.)

Timbre is also what distinguishes human vowels. The job of a vocoder is to listen to the timbre of one audio signal (the modulator) and apply that timbre to a different audio signal (the carrier).

For the Microfreak, the vocoder will take whatever audio you put in to it, and use that signal as the modulator. I just wanted to make it clear you won't be able to make the Volca sing with the Microfreak's vocoder.

I am still perplexed by this but I can do my own research from here, thank you for the clarification.

Is there a "what chords are being played in this music" thread? I have some songs I want to learn and though I'm finding it easier to learn with a keyboard than on guitar (my first instrument that I am very much mediocre at) I wouldn't mind some help.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You know how a violin and a trumpet sound different, even if they both play the same note? Timbre describes those differences.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMBh9Yn8wqKcTBhsCgzs-vAsFvwbM2YvZ

These videos, even though they're old as poo poo, have a ton of useful info in them.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The Novation Mininova and Ultranova are other options for synths with vocoders, and their used prices probably aren't far off from a new Microfreak

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

taqueso posted:

You know how a violin and a trumpet sound different, even if they both play the same note? Timbre describes those differences.

Thank you! That makes perfect sense.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The old classic Microkorg also had a vocoder and can probably still be had for not too much.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

So I checked out the MicroFreak and I'm not sure I'll get the sound I'm looking for from it. I'm looking to do something like this:

edit: would this be a talkbox instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn-X5A0gbMA

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 25, 2021

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Chiming in to recommend the Microfreak. It’s a LOT of synthesizer for the price point. Once you understand the mod matrix, you’ve got nearly unlimited sound design potential at your fingertips. I don’t think Arturia is done updating it, either.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

You want a volca vocoder

It doesn't exist :ohdear:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

a pale ghost posted:

You can do this, but the results may be disappointing. You get the best results when using an instrument with a lot of interesting peaks and rhythms as a modulator for a vocoder, like obviously human voice. But maybe drums. Using a synth that generally just generates triangle waves doesent add much.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

a pale ghost posted:

edit: would this be a talkbox instead?

This sounds like a repitched sample to me.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

So Math posted:

This sounds like a repitched sample to me.

Is there any instrument that I could use to replicate the sound or is it just something a computer program can do?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

a pale ghost posted:

Is there any instrument that I could use to replicate the sound or is it just something a computer program can do?

The samples at the beginning are just a loop of a vocal saying "ahhh" mapped across a keyboard and sped up/slowed down with each key. The main vocal when the song kicks in is a talkbox effect, although probably some VST that does a talkbox effect and not an actual talkbox.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

for a cheap option check the moog vocoder

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Time to go Full Frampton. Wah. Wah wah WAH WAH wah. Wah.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

talk boxes are too hard to use, I sold mine

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Get an electrospit. https://www.electrospit.com

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Talk boxes get kinda gross after awhile. They make you still drool what with the tube being in your mouth and all.
I built one out of an old tweeter and a smokey amp.
I had to get rid of the tube after it got nasty and haven't gotten around to getting some new tubing and setting it up again.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIQxwotn3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Warning: dumb waffly question ahead.

I'm looking for an affordable groovebox/drum machine. Something that has quite a few drum parts available and also room for a couple melodic lines. Something like the Novation Circuit, but with more than six tracks. I currently have a Maschine Mikro mk3 and will I love that little bastard and what it offers, I get so side tracked by searching for sounds (between the smorgasbord offered from Komplete and the "vintage drums and keys" pack that can be found by googling that phrase + Reddit. It's amazing. I've used it for longer than I can remember, pretty sure I initially found it pre-reddit it's that old. Every drum machine you can think of and three dozen more you probably never heard of.) that I struggle to get beyond the building a kit stage.
Before it died, I found my boss DR202 was so good for getting ideas down despite (because of?) its limitations, and I'm looking for something that sorta fills that role, where I can use it as a scratchpad but has enough available voices that I can use it as is too. My audio interface has proper MIDI ins and outs so itd be nice to be able to hook it to Cubase like that, but it's not totally essential.
I'm currently on an 'industrial' kick (:grin:) , so sounds along the lines of the Alesis HR/SR16s, Boss dr660, kawaii R series, Yamaha RY50 etc are what I'm into right now.
My budget is in the "affordable but not Digitakt" range. What's important to me is being able to have a bunch of drums going but also a melodic element or two.

I'm umming and ahhhing over the Model:Samples as that seems like babby digitakt, but part of me is also thinking "you have Komplete 13, a bunch guitars and the suite of quality NI synths and a decent couple of controllers. Get an Sr16."