Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MockingQuantum posted:

So after years of accumulating audio gear and buying shiny new synths and trying to have the widest sound design palette and most flexible synthesis capabilities available to me at any given moment, I've come to a stark realization: literally all I actually want to do is rip off John Carpenter albums. Maybe some Vangelis.

That's a rough one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Rolo posted:

Even so, being able to coffee table poo poo without throwing around cords is nice.

Especially considering just how much I love sitting on my couch.

Yeah, this. My Live hasn't really left the house ever, but it's nice to have the option to step away from the computer or other music great that's set up and go play around on the couch, or out on the patio when the weather is nice, and not worry about anything other than a pair of headphones.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Clavavisage posted:

Get a yamaha v50

Will do

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

Even so, being able to coffee table poo poo without throwing around cords is nice.

Especially considering just how much I love sitting on my couch.

Yep. I wasn't being disparaging at all. I love my Live 2 and can't wait for the 2.11 update.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm starting to think that multiple filters and routing options for them are more important to me than wavetables.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Get Vital and enjoy both!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

So Math posted:

I'm starting to think that multiple filters and routing options for them are more important to me than wavetables.

i’ve got nothing but respect for wavetables but the vast majority of the time when i use a wavetable synth i end up using “basic shapes”

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

MockingQuantum posted:

So after years of accumulating audio gear and buying shiny new synths and trying to have the widest sound design palette and most flexible synthesis capabilities available to me at any given moment, I've come to a stark realization: literally all I actually want to do is rip off John Carpenter albums. Maybe some Vangelis.

it's cool. you pr'lly now have enough junk that if you unload all of it, you can pick up a deckard's dream kit

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

watho posted:

i’ve got nothing but respect for wavetables but the vast majority of the time when i use a wavetable synth i end up using “basic shapes”

my reply (in wavetable) ooooooooohhhhhhwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkmmmmmmmm

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's cool. you pr'lly now have enough junk that if you unload all of it, you can pick up a deckard's dream kit

:hmmyes:

Though I already have a Peak, which honestly can get pretty close to that sort of CS80 sound. And a CS80 VST.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The trick for wavetable synths is to use a looping envelope to cycle through the wavetable as you play. :roboluv:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MSPain posted:

if you aren't married to hardware I think it makes sense to do fm all with plugins. fm can be perfectly emulated by computers so I don't see the point in putting it in an expensive box. counterpoint: my main midi keyboard is a dx7, which has insanely good build quality

In a weird coincidence, I just ran across this the other day. It's an old cassette demonstration of FM synthesis from when the DX7 first came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0kL4iK2WGQ

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Voice of Labor posted:

my reply (in wavetable) ooooooooohhhhhhwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkmmmmmmmm

okay correction. basic shapes and modern talking

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I was dumb and ordered a Maschine mkII as part of MF's stupid deal of the day. I failed to note (in addition to it being sold as a restock) that when used standalone it's just an kneecapped MIDI controller.

The upsides are:
1.) I don't have a controller with pads, so even if I used it solely as a MIDI controller, it'd certainly be better for finger drumming than a Keystep.
and
2.) Pollyanna's posts had me wondering if I'd just be happier with a laptop and a controller. The primary thing I don't like about working on a computer is dragging a mouse around a screen, so trying out the mk2 with the Maschine software is my chance to see if a controller is sufficient enough to make sitting at a computer more tolerable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I suppose it might be good to go over my experience with hardware/DAWless from the perspective of someone used to a DAW, but hoping to find better productivity, focus, and creative sparks/expression elsewhere.

I haven’t found hardware/DAWless to be better in that regard at all, because the problem for me isn’t really the technology or process I use. I’m actually far MORE productive with a DAW; it’s a quicker iteration loop, a more comfortable and familiar interface, and requires way less hardware and money to do simple things like mix, record, use instruments, tweak knobs and automate parameters, and research and experiment.

As much as I love the little hardware bits I’ve gotten, I don’t think I’ll ever do anything serious with them. They’re fun, and fun is good, but there’s clearly a reason everyone jumped on DAWs as soon as they became widespread and feature-complete. It brings down a lot of barriers that you don’t know are there until you move off of a DAW. That’s important - we’re hella spoiled by modern technology, and this really helped put that into perspective.

And to be quite honest, it’s not about the hardware. It’s about the music, the sound, and the harmonics. Anything that shortens the distance between you and them and makes that path less rough is indispensable.

IMO, the best use of hardware/DAWless is sound design experimentation. I can sink quite a lot of time into the Volca Drum, just loving around with all the different ways I can configure a couple oscillators and their associated envelope (it hasn’t made me any better at making “””good””” percussion or understanding how to use it, though :v:), and if the Volca FM had a better interface I’d be doing the same.

But once it’s time to rope everything together, a DAW is far superior. Hell, I think my favorite Korg product is actually Gadget. Having an app on my phone I can quickly note musical ideas into and gently caress around on during my commute and when I’m supposed to be working is amazing, even just the free version.

Anyway. My suggestion is to figure out what you really want to do. Play with synths, or make music with them. Neither of those are wrong, but you need to find your spot, or you’ll remain confused and amass a bunch of gear while not actually getting any closer to what you want and then you’re like gently caress I need a pedalboard and a patchbay and some stands and a new desk and

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 19, 2022

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
let us know what you find, I've always been interested in the maschine world

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've found bespoke to be a really good middle ground between DAWless and DAWful (I just made that word up and now I think it's funny). It's node based so it kinda feels like using patch cables and you can route audio visually pretty much any way you want so it's good for experimentation.

The sequencing in it isn't the best, but it's functional. It does have a bunch of generative sequencers which is always a great way to get stuck in four bar jail.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As a fan of prog rock, Japanese video game soundtracks, and even some classical, I just don’t feel fulfilled with generative melodies and short four-bar loops. Even Bomberman Hero has plenty of progressions, chords, and musical phrases.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i am deeply in love with bitwig studio. it's one of those rare reminders that software can be good

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just wanted to drop in to mention that the new boards are in at Zeppelin Design for their Theremin MIDI controller, they told me once they QC them they'll be shipping. This will be their Mk2. The Altura is a very cleverly designed MIDI controller with a nice arpeggiator onboard. I absolutely love mine and I'm building up a second.

https://zeppelindesignlabs.com/product/altura-mkii-theremin-midi-controller/

watho
Aug 2, 2013

MSPain posted:

i am deeply in love with bitwig studio. it's one of those rare reminders that software can be good

i feel the same way with phase plant. as much as i love hardware and the pieces of hardware i have and use, some things just aren’t feasible to do in the hardware world. sometimes you need to make a supersaw with per voice effects that completely maxes out your decade old i5

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MSPain posted:

Kinda my feelings about REAPER.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
RIP Vangelis :smith:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/19/vangelis-greek-composer-chariots-of-fire-blade-runner-dies

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

RIP to a legend

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Man, I was just thinking about him last night, how he was not just a synth guy but a capital-M Musician; a man who pushed his tools to the limit to manifest what he heard in his head into something he could share with the world.

Nothing but respect.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah that's sad :smith: I hope he had a good life. Definitely one of the biggest influences on me when I was younger (and now, too).

Unrelated, but Ivar Tryti just posted on his Patreon that Elektron sent him a Syntakt, which means we're likely to get videos pretty soon that will really push it to its limits.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gonna listen to the Blade Runner soundtrack, RIP.

79 is a good age tho.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

MockingQuantum posted:

Unrelated, but Ivar Tryti just posted on his Patreon that Elektron sent him a Syntakt, which means we're likely to get videos pretty soon that will really push it to its limits.

Nice -- that guy's videos are all excellent. Glad to see Elektron hooked him up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tayter Swift posted:

Gonna listen to the Blade Runner soundtrack, RIP.

79 is a good age tho.

I should probably watch it for the first time one of these days. I love sci-fi and synth music.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MSPain posted:

It rules, just switched from Live.
The only thing I miss from Live is the midi capture feature.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Found a busted Akai mpk mini in the trash.

It works fine aside from the busted keys.
The built in sounds are nothing to write home about but I'll mostly be using it as a midi controller for VCV rack.

The built in arpeggio function even works with VCV rack.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wait the mpk has built in sounds? I thought it was just a controller

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The mpk play that I just acquired has some built in general midi sounds and can run on batteries or USB . The regular mpk mini is just a controller USB powered only.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MSPain posted:

It is so loving good. I've been using it for seven years and initially it was like "oh it's Ableton-lite with some serious limitations, but worth it for the modulation workflow", but over the years they've addressed almost every one of those limitations and added so much new poo poo that I haven't opened Logic or Ableton in years. Plus I've built this massive library of my own custom devices, so that now when I jam with my synth squad a decent amount of "my sound" is stuff I can only do in Bitwig.

On that front: the new convolution effect is awesome, I converted all of the Waves IR-L stuff back into .wav files and now I can use those spaces in Bitwig without installing Waves garbage. Not gonna :filez: here because it probably violates some license or other but I'm pretty sure you can download Waves' IRs without owning the IR-L plugin, and there's a free script on GitHub to convert them to .wav files. Be aware that many of them are desperately in need of normalization before use though.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 20, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Thumposaurus posted:

Found a busted Akai mpk mini in the trash.

It works fine aside from the busted keys.
The built in sounds are nothing to write home about but I'll mostly be using it as a midi controller for VCV rack.

The built in arpeggio function even works with VCV rack.

you need to post that on r/sythesizercirclejerk

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

C, D, and E are the worst notes anyway

Trig Discipline posted:

On that front: the new convolution effect is awesome, I converted all of the Waves IR-L stuff back into .wav files and now I can use those spaces in Bitwig without installing Waves garbage. Not gonna :filez: here because it probably violates some license or other but I'm pretty sure you can download Waves' IRs without owning the IR-L plugin, and there's a free script on GitHub to convert them to .wav files. Be aware that many of them are desperately in need of normalization before use though.

:master:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Here's a question I feel like I should already know the answer to - what's the argument for banana jacks? Historically I could see the stacking being huge, is it just that? Are they stronger or less voltage drop or something? Cheaper?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Here's a question I feel like I should already know the answer to - what's the argument for banana jacks? Historically I could see the stacking being huge, is it just that? Are they stronger or less voltage drop or something? Cheaper?

Honestly I don't think there is an argument for them anymore? Other than they're still used in a lot of test equipment, and yeah, are stackable. I know some people that still use them in circuits because they insist they're more durable and cheaper, but I have no idea if either are true anymore (if they ever were). They've completely fallen out of use in live audio because there's really no reason to have separate jacks for each conductor, not to mention most of the connectors seem to be pretty prone to failure.

Also I think they're banned in a lot of EU electrical standards because paired connectors are spaced perfectly to fit into power outlets or something.

I'm sure someone in here will have a good argument for why I'm dumb though, that usually happens

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

p sure it was stacking, also maybe a ham radio/test equipment holdover. like, they are smaller than 1/4'' jacks, especially in length and a little bigger than 1/8'' jacks so maybe robustness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

MSPain posted:

Trig Discipline posted:

It is so loving good. I've been using it for seven years and initially it was like "oh it's Ableton-lite with some serious limitations, but worth it for the modulation workflow", but over the years they've addressed almost every one of those limitations and added so much new poo poo that I haven't opened Logic or Ableton in years. Plus I've built this massive library of my own custom devices, so that now when I jam with my synth squad a decent amount of "my sound" is stuff I can only do in Bitwig.

W424 posted:

It rules, just switched from Live.
The only thing I miss from Live is the midi capture feature.

I bought it during the winter sale and I adore it.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 20, 2022