Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Does bitwig have network collab like they promised on day one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I think it uses Ableton Link...

[edit] It does indeed.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

kidfresca posted:

I was dumb and ordered a Maschine mkII as part of MF's stupid deal of the day. I failed to note (in addition to it being sold as a restock) that when used standalone it's just an kneecapped MIDI controller.

The upsides are:
1.) I don't have a controller with pads, so even if I used it solely as a MIDI controller, it'd certainly be better for finger drumming than a Keystep.
and
2.) Pollyanna's posts had me wondering if I'd just be happier with a laptop and a controller. The primary thing I don't like about working on a computer is dragging a mouse around a screen, so trying out the mk2 with the Maschine software is my chance to see if a controller is sufficient enough to make sitting at a computer more tolerable.

If it's a full size Maschine with the screens etc then it is absolutely possible (once you got your head around it) to use it like hardware. This is especially true if you make use of the inbuilt drum/synth engines.

Whilst I don't particularly like Maschine's sequencing for full songs, I use it like a boshy version of Ableton Lives session view.

Should you decide to just use it as a generic controller, the NI controller editor gives you some flexibility in tweaking things like pad colour, root key etc.
You may as well grab Komplete Start whilst you're at it cos even without the Maschine software you can control anything in there with the Komplete Kontrol vst.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

I think it uses Ableton Link...

[edit] It does indeed.

Yeah I use this all the time with the synth squad. It seems like people are pushing for more, though, something almost like git for bitwig projects (gitwig?).

https://bitwish.top/t/asynchronous-collaboration/47

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can anyone suggest me some acoustic drum samples you like? Not for “realistic” drum programming since I’d just pull up ezdrummer/superior for that but some good interesting sounding kits to dump in my sampler. I think Samples From Mars recently did an acoustic kit pack, I bet that’s good.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 21, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what genre of music do you like and does it feature drum solos?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Really like Linndrum stuff.

Chopped breaks maybe?

idk if this counts but the Goldbaby packs are great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Voice of Labor posted:

what genre of music do you like and does it feature drum solos?

All of them and yeah why the hell out

JamesKPolk posted:

Really like Linndrum stuff.

Chopped breaks maybe?

idk if this counts but the Goldbaby packs are great.

Ahh man I really should just go ahead and grab the linndrum spm pack. It’s such an amazing sounding machine. Great for some of the post punk/new wave/etc stuff I like to make. Really those drums sound good for just about everything.

Goldbaby stuff is great. Top tier hip hop sounds from those samples!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MSPain posted:

i am deeply in love with bitwig studio. it's one of those rare reminders that software can be good

Trig Discipline posted:

It is so loving good.

I can recommend https://youtube.com/c/Alckemy and https://youtube.com/c/DataBroth for unconventional sounddesign with Bitwig and making Grid patches that look like Metroid level maps.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

I can recommend https://youtube.com/c/Alckemy and https://youtube.com/c/DataBroth for unconventional sounddesign with Bitwig and making Grid patches that look like Metroid level maps.

Thanks! Right back at ya with Polarity:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PolarityMusic

Venus Theory:

https://www.youtube.com/c/VenusTheory/videos

and Taches Teaches:

https://www.youtube.com/c/T%C3%82CHESTEACHES/videos

Lots of great generative grid stuff and sound design in Bitwig among the three of them.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a super simple software MIDI... signal.. controller... thing?

Basically I have a few controllers and instruments plugged into my PC and I'd love something simple and easy to route the signal. Like just "take in from Arturia channel 1, output to Minitaur USB in" and have it just work? I know I can do this in Reaper but it gets complicated making quick switches and menu diving to set it up. I'd like something easy for quick noodling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My audio interface can route midi for me between two hosts and handle 8 controllers, but it has the same basic problem: setting up routes is fiddly and requires memorizing extremely catchy names like HST4 or DIN1 to be able to do anything with it. It's okay when I'm using it a lot but the mappings fade from my brain pretty quick and there's a lot of relearning.

The best midi routing I've seen is on my ipad, AUM or ApeMatrix offer a single grid with all sources on one axis and all destinations on another axis and you can make a single tap to set up routes. Reaper does have the routing matrix but afaik it's mostly for routing tracks.. it can do MIDI but honestly I've never tried it with multiple controllers so am not sure it works sensibly. But now that I'm reminded of it I'm gonna have to give it a spin.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Rolo posted:

Basically I have a few controllers and instruments plugged into my PC and I'd love something simple and easy to route the signal. Like just "take in from Arturia channel 1, output to Minitaur USB in" and have it just work? I know I can do this in Reaper but it gets complicated making quick switches and menu diving to set it up. I'd like something easy for quick noodling.

If you're happy to keep working from the PC then midi-ox, while exceptionally old-school, does the job quite well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bill Posters posted:

If you're happy to keep working from the PC then midi-ox, while exceptionally old-school, does the job quite well.

Yeah I’d keep to PC, all my corded and bigger things stay on my desk anyways.

Edit: I got it working in seconds and it boots into the profile I set up. Perfect. Thanks!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 21, 2022

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

It has a simple as hell graphical routing interface. Just drag connections from inputs to outputs and click though to select which channels get routed.

e: awesome!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm going to buy a second OB-4, this time in red. Really need a good case, I don't really like the mesh backpack but I think that's all first party has to offer besides the stupid leather unprotective case. I'm going to even bring it to the apt gym and start blasting music. The built in mantras are great too! I'm not sure OB-4 will be around forever so might as well buy them now. Love this thing more everyday.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rolo posted:

If you're using a DAW to record the audio you could use it to route the midi too, like with ableton it looks like this

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Thanks! Right back at ya with Polarity:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PolarityMusic

Venus Theory:

https://www.youtube.com/c/VenusTheory/videos

and Taches Teaches:

https://www.youtube.com/c/T%C3%82CHESTEACHES/videos

Lots of great generative grid stuff and sound design in Bitwig among the three of them.

I knew of VT but not of the others, really nice!

friends don't let friends buy waves

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i use a couple of waves plugins but they’re a very bad no good company and their perpetual sales are not legal

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Waves absolutely sucks. Which is why it's so nice to use their impulse responses without giving them money or installing their garbage software.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, can't believe I forgot this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/c/XNBeatsMusic/videos

His stuff is less "let's make a creative thing in Bitwig" and more "here is what every single knob on this device does". Very useful for learning how each of the modulators and effects work.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What’s wrong with Waves? Just curious!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Kilometers Davis posted:

What’s wrong with Waves? Just curious!

they make a lot of lame stuff presented as this super accurate analog modeling or w/e and they require proprietary bloatware to authenticate their stuff and like i said they run perpetual “sales” to make it seem like you get a good deal on their stuff and trigger your fomo. just a bad company even if some of their plugins are dece

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah the proprietary authentication stuff is what scared me away. They almost got me with those bullshit sales!

All hail Valhalla DSP!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Waves' copy protection/update schemes are just absolutely heinous, and they also delete any unflattering reviews from their site so that their plugins show up as well-rated even if a bunch of people hate them. Some of their stuff does indeed sound good but they're just a company I never plan to give money to again.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Also poo poo like L1/L2/L3 has been around forever and they’re still charging stupid prices for them.

L3 used to be borderline necessary, until iTunes/YouTube/Spotify ended the Loudness Wars.

Next time I upgrade my computer, I’m not even going to bother installing any of my Waves poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Next time I upgrade my computer, I’m not even going to bother installing any of my Waves poo poo.

I just did, and I just didn't, respectively.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I had to flatten my win 8 computer to get on the win 10 train to get at least a couple more years out of it, and trying to recover the trueverb licence I got for free in 2016 was such a pain in the rear end I gave up on it. I've used it in all my projects in the last few years. I got the licence transferred successfully, but couldn't obtain an actual installer that worked, because I had to go through some outdated version of their portal or whatever. Utter poo poo. I loved some of the plugins when I pirated them way way back, like the ssl emulations and the retro vocal compressor, but it's not worth the hassle.

A lot of other poo poo broke too, that I had hoped would work by just transferring dlls. Like genuinely free stuff. Really disappointing. The Bitwig talk has me considering starting from scratch with that. I need something that's not just a timeline in my life.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Interrupting this broadcast to inform you that I am back on my poo poo again.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

This is mostly how I finance my synth habit, sorry to distract you lords of synth.

Sold those drums to a pagan priestess. Blessed be!

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
hello synthesizer thread. this is me from a while ago. perhaps it will match your saturday night vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5nGD2Ep-w

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

modular.txt

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

inferis posted:

modular.txt

This is life at its best IMO

but, as they say on Adult Swim,

RECORD EVERYTHING

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made a thing.

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/rotarywip/s-HXJc8uAOsvN

It’s a WIP, but I dunno how much more work I’ll actually do on it. It’s hard to tell when something is finished - do I need to add more progression, do I need to change the patches over time (parameter automation), do I need to change the levels, do I need to add percussion…? I think I could basically go on adding and tweaking a track forever, and that’s both fascinating and kinda terrifying.

That said I still don’t think this is done, but I’ll be damned if I know where to go next.

EDIT: Ended up adding something, tweaking a little, and calling it a day.

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/rotary

Not really sure what to do in terms of overall music making. I might as well just keep making poo poo, but I gotta figure out what next.

MSPain posted:

hello synthesizer thread. this is me from a while ago. perhaps it will match your saturday night vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5nGD2Ep-w

Yes good!!!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 22, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good first keyboard synth for an 8 year old? Got a niece who's expressed an interest in learning to play, but they live in a very small home so an 88 key grand piano is out of the question. Would a 37 key be enough to learn on? A focus on presets is probably important too, let's not toss her into the deep end quite yet.

Like the PSS-F30 almost does it right, but giving it a usb port with no midi connectivity is criminal. Granted there's no guarantee an 8 year old will ever want to start hoarding synths and turn into the next bloop connoisseur, but it would be nice to get something that isn't an instant dead end if she does end up liking it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

xzzy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good first keyboard synth for an 8 year old? Got a niece who's expressed an interest in learning to play, but they live in a very small home so an 88 key grand piano is out of the question. Would a 37 key be enough to learn on? A focus on presets is probably important too, let's not toss her into the deep end quite yet.

Like the PSS-F30 almost does it right, but giving it a usb port with no midi connectivity is criminal. Granted there's no guarantee an 8 year old will ever want to start hoarding synths and turn into the next bloop connoisseur, but it would be nice to get something that isn't an instant dead end if she does end up liking it.

Hear me out. MicroBrute. It’s got fun knobs to twist, not too many keys. You could focus on presets but kids love being hands on and twisting things! Plus it’s relatively cheap and sounds just as good as any synth you’ll find.

My friend has kids that really enjoy playing with his and they’re even younger.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

If she wants to learn to play piano, I’d say 61-keys is the minimum. If she wants to specifically learn synthesizer and electronic music stuff, then yeah, 37-keys should be fine.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

Get them her an old Yamaha DJX. Yamaha should have never abandoned that line. But something with halfway decent speakers helps it be more than a toy while being a very decent toy. Special effects, knobs to twist, some neat sampling/vocoder, it's got stuff that will make a child go wow.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 23, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/IpimUUP2LaQ

Goooooons!

Have some 303 being used in the classical style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

usb port with no midi connectivity

5 pin DIN MIDI is turning into a premium feature these days. Consider getting something older - those prices will also have bottomed out so if it’s a no go you can sell it for the same.