Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Sweet baby jesus, new synth thread

Good! No Ensoniqs in OP? Awful.

Sizone posted:

gently caress the ASR-X. Knew the thing would be a boondogle, that's why I had the sense to keep passing on them last year. Think 2014 is going to be a year of poor synth judgment for me.

Welp—

me posted:

I've just had two poo poo themselves on me and parts aren't plentiful so I'm always wary for people looking for them.

Lots of DP4s hanging around, sup. Effects should have a spot towards the front because they're as important as the source material to the final sound. A stringer is a transistor organ square wave without some chorus.

Your Computer posted:

Any tips on dealing with friends and family asking to hear music you've made? I don't think they'd understand if you told them you're just really fond of robot farts :(

Be proud! When's our Stonewall??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

I was actually looking for the electrical interface for the breath control in jack on a DX7. I can massage the signal out of a readily available pressure sensor if I know what kind of signal the port is expecting. I don't want to have to pay $HUNDREDS when I could rig something up for $TENS.

oh, oh, oh. It expects a (from pre-coffee memory) cv from the ref given on the jack, -9V on tip, wiper is ring, ground is sleeve.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I played around with that already. It's literally just that one key that acts that way. I gave everything a wipe down and a blast of compressed air but I'm going to be taking the keys off and cleaning in between them. The seller said non smoker but I can tell you a smoker definitely owned this. While it doesn't smell of cigarette smoke, a bunch of loose tobacco bits came out when I gave it a blast.

The key works intermittently; even when it does you need to press down on it full force, whereas none of the other keys have that problem.

I've cleared and redrawn carbon traces for keyboards in this kind of a situation. Give cleaning another shot first though, with a brush not a cloth, and make sure the rubber domes aren't stuck warped or cut up. If he was a smoker I'd tear down the entire assembly and brush it clean just because.

Your Computer posted:

Is an MC-505 with a couple of "stripes" (probably dead pixels) in the display worth 330$?
Reading up on it, the display failing is apparently a common thing. No idea whether or not the dead pixel problem will get worse or stay as it is (still legible).

Very common, it'll get worse. You can try reflowing the panel contacts with a heatgun and that works often enough, just don't melt the thing. You can get replacements cheap if you do. That's about $200 more than I'd pay for one honestly. Any JV and step sequencer of your choice (say RM1x) would do you better unless you absolutely need the convergence.
e: apparently I'm a cheap bastard and ~300 is average. Still, with having to fix/replace the LCD it better come with a fistful of smartmedia for $330. Talk em down.

wayfinder posted:

I guess I'm going to be the voice of reason in this thread, recommending staying away from synth hardware in favor of ITB solutions. Sup!

:lol:

Startyde fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 20, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

See edit~ :jewish:
RM1xes are that much now too? drat, they used to be all over here for 1-200.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Your Computer posted:

e: worth mentioning (again?) that I live in this synthless northern kingdom:

Time for a road trip? :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Skeletron posted:

Is it common for some instruments to be off the beat when you try to sync their internal sequencers/arpegiators to an external clock, yet have no lag whatsoever if I control them directly via MIDI notes? I'm having problems syncing my 707, Korg ER-1, and the internal arpegiator in my KiwiSix/PolySix with Ableton as master.

Let me tell you about waldorfs :suicide:
Yeah it's not uncommon. Anything time-based running from external clock will range from tight to holy loving poo poo depending on the synth. Sync'd LFOs, arps, mod sequencers, etc. On older gear that only has so many instructions per clock to deal with things it can be wacky, and off in a different way each time so you can't just compensate for it.

e- the kiwi should be plenty though... I'm curious if not-ableton as master produces the same results if the rest of the chain is unchanged.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 24, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

:420: synthesize drums err day :420:
send more square osc please

Echo the Poly800 hate. Didn't like the programming, or the sound. Considered doing the moog slayer mod but just didn't care enough.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's got to be pedals? Something like a Boss GL-100 and a midiverbII will do fuzz/OD/delays/chorus/reverb/bloom in 2U and the inputs on the front, stick the MV in the FX loop and you're done. Or the ensoniq DP4+, input on the front for when you want to shred, 4 i/os in the back you can just leave hooked up. It is a shame there's so few demos of synths or even epianos with pedals, especially for things like the RE20 or leslie sims.

I think for reverb it'll be tough to do any better than the Space or a TC.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Make sure the card doesn't support UDMA. Some adapters I've used are ok with it or are smart enough to kick it to PIO but some don't. Some cards don't like speaking PIO.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Griff Lee posted:

I am a white man and I demand acknowledgement

Griff Lee posted:

Can't wait to share.

Well, get on with it.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

How do you have that many synths and not hear about Synthopia? :confused:

He actually plays them.

e— grabbed the Aztecmonster manual cause I'm bored this morning, it claims support for UDMA, that's a new one on me. The suggestion of external termination isn't a bad idea if you've got an inline terminator. She should be fine with anything 4GB and down really. 'Unreadable' is good, you can format that. 'Not rdy'(iirc) is just for removable drives so if you see that it can't tell that it's a "HDD."

Startyde fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 31, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

:kimchi:
Wavetable editor, fun tables done with Audio-Term.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

I mean how can this be desirable?

It makes it more analog! I haven't poked the KK but I can't imagine there isn't a retrig check box in there somewhere.

e- or not, nothing in the parameter guide I can see anyway. :(
Same results with DWGS oscillators?

Startyde fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 5, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Hey, an organ preset too. M1 was as all over the place as the DX7.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Maybe a couple of outboard racks and something small, a VST or two, but certainly not just spending that entire half on a single expensive vintage synth which I'll be terrified of damaging because that would be really stupgently caress"

They're pretty robust. I'd feel safer traveling with that than a fleet of wavestations. :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

All gear is poo poo, hail Satan

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

No keyboardcats here.

DCO Dirt Dog

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

(in the right hands, of course)

Unfortunately that's hard to find, a lot of what's out there is awful jazz fusion with bad soprano sax patches.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

P2k is the next in line, you're probably better off with it. It's got some of the same filters as the morpheus, ~a third of them iirc, and has internal expansion slots for more waveROM. If you're lucky it might already have some installed. It's also much, much easier to program and actually has realtime tweakable knobs on the front panel. Here's one with the lead card for $110, probably a better deal if you're in the states unless the one you're looking at is stuffed with ROMs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

I'm in Canada, so shipping, exchange and customs makes anything from there automatically $50-$100 more.

I'm going to contact the seller and see what's included. Thanks for the info!

:canada: Timbits for all.
If it has no other cards then use that as an entry to the haggle zone.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not really, I want to do it myself and I feel like it's cheating to grab a pre-made sample with the right kind of sound. But still, I'm getting hung up and frustrated.

Soundware exists because people use it. I'm sure even people you respect and/or idolize. I'm not going to make a multisample of loving anything better than Kurzweil, why would I feel bad using the fruits of their labor? To flip it the other direction, even if literally all you did was put together canned loops in live it would still be you doing it. If it sounds good, it's good.
Also holy lol getting up your own rear end about making acid. :v:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The KLF died for our sins

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

A Mustang turns you into Steve McQueen, it will work.
So, when's a Rytm headed your way, waffles?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Analog Heaven Midwest video from the recent annual meet. Awkward robot farts abound.
The northeast meeting is approaching (note the reschedule!). Marlboro area goons, or Bostonians who can take the rail to ~Acton, that need to hitch a ride, toss me a PM.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

treasureplane posted:

Has anyone actually heard the Rhythm Wolf yet? It's been over a month.

I'm legit disappointed this might turn out to not happen.

net work error posted:

Re: iPad chat, not to be that guy but wouldn't the iPad thread have the best answers?

There's an iOS music app thread by our own FLX
The PPG, Korg and Moog apps, and Sunrizer are the ones I play with the most.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'd give it a shot anyway. They are socketed, just lightly press down on the center in a circle motion if you don't have an IC puller. Filters might need to be recalibrated.
Vintage synths are like classic cars, cream puffs are rare, everyone thinks their poo poo is gold and if you don't wrench on them yourself it can get expensive. Though, our expensive is pretty drat cheap in comparison.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

FM synthesis: A+++ would bassjam again.

Bass monsters, especially with an algo that just has a raw sine pooped out.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

RE: pulse 2. Haven't poked that one yet but the Pulse 1 killed my want for a Moog 3xosc mono. When I sold my LP I wanted something to fill the moogy spot and it did for me. Awesome little box. The 2 eats 1 sysex which is cool as hell, not sure if they'll polychain together.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

You probably do want/can afford a K2000. They're down to like 2-300 in my area. Not knobby at all but pads for days. Echo suggestions of K-station/mininova. Build quality doesn't inspire but I love the novation VAs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Should we start a pool? :v:
I'm guessing 125k.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's a crime that they couldn't add WIST support to that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

OP1 - an $800 synth about as good as a $30 video game

The M1's loop points don't click so...
At least you could bludgeon someone with the OP1, wouldn't do much in a fight with a 3DS.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Got the MIDI all tracked out for a song I'd planned for my MKS-30. Ready to record the audio, so I powered the MKS up, got everything patched in and routed, and... discovered that voice 5 is dead.

:ughh:

You need a priest not a repairman. Your poo poo is haunted.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I got to play with the Aira series in Shibuya today, so a bit of a trip report:

Go to a cat cafe and report back :3:

This looks neat, hopefully it gets some kind of case when it goes to production though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Only the big loop station will let you drop out individual takes, afaik, and they're all more than the KP. You could get wacky with something like an SU700, those are cheap, but overly large and awkward to use.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

Gotta be honest, half of the reason I'm rompler hunting is for pizzicato and tremolo strings. I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent unit at a reasonable price, though.

S4 Pluses are cheap these days, or look at the half rack stuff- JV1010, X5RW, TG100/MUs.

net work error posted:

e: Realized that's a poo poo post. I got a Machinedrum ! Really excited for this and will give a full trip report when I get it and mess with it for a while.

Bring da oontz. EFM-BD 4life. Don't forget you can assign LFOs to other channels. Also cop this 808 kit it's pretty nice for not using samples.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

What's this hating on the '27? Shameful.

Mr. Sharps posted:

The worst synth is my eurorack

same

Radiapathy posted:

I couldn't wait.

quote:

Changes since V1.13:
* Pulse 2 polychain mode
:hellyeah: Any idea if this will chain with the original? I haven't seen mention of that.

Worst synth I've ever used was probably the K150FS. In theory, one of the more powerful hardware additives. Software programmer even supported resynthesis which was a neat trick that took a while on a ][. In reality it had an awful low pass filter strapped across the outs to prevent wild squealing and artifacts, made everything sort of samey. I could never get anything I was happy with out of it. Some bells weren't bad in the lower registers but again just blah as you went up the scale. It really needed to be built ~a decade later than it was but oh well.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If you can still hunt it down the free version of Highlife was great for soundfonts. Very capable sampler, supports a number of formats. It's turned commercial again in the current incarnation, haven't used that version.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Oh Novation, you magnificent bastards

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Traded my sammichSID and now I want a new kit to build. Is there anything cheap and fun lately?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

It's not quite a synth but I've been meaning to build this dual delay pedal for a while now, The Jellyfish: http://www.planktonelectronics.com/

I'll scope it out when I get home but it's just a PT2399 deal, probably not too exciting. I've got a mess of BBDs I should be doing something with if I go the effects route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

In config on the input, turn sync on, type MIDI clock. There's an EXT button in the main UI somewhere up top that turns on MIDI machine control listening, light that up. Then tempo and transport will be controlled by the mininova.

e- Just looked, she doesn't have transport controls so I guess this don't make much sense. Here's Novation's page laying out the arp following Live.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 7, 2014