Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

As far as cost to knob ratios go, the best thing in the world to get is one of these:

32 knobs for only $150, so at under $5 a knob it will leave you with plenty of cash to spend on a modular system! :retrogames:

A counterpoint, I got rid of mine because I was using it to control a bunch of stuff and the only way to keep track of mappings was a stack of printouts. I switched to this, Novation SL Zero MkI (the MkII only has a single screen) mainly because of the dual screens.

Lately it's been a life saver for live shows, I used it to control Resolume for backing video and the vocal FX at the same time. But it's also great for just programming synths (amp and filter envelopes go nicely to the faders etc). The editor is painless, does sysex etc. The "drum pads" are atrocius but so what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I modded my Monotron yesterday, added gate,pitch,lfo rate and cutoff CVs (managed to break one jack that was supposed to be used for LFO reset) and a pot to calibrate the pitch. It's hella wonky at the moment, I can get about an octave of tracking at a time and some other weirdness (cutoff CV affects pitch somewhat etc). I've not much experience with electronics (some guitar wiring and circuit bending) and lovely tools but it's a start.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Is there any way to make the keys on a keyboard more sensitive? I got my Micron last night, and I'm just noticing that one of the keys is less sensitive than the others and you have to really press it down for it to register. I took it apart and cleaned it and it's marginally better, and I can't find any answers on Google.

Try adjusting the velocity curve, it will affect all the keys.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/207440/Alesis-Micron.html?page=102

W424
Oct 21, 2010

net work error posted:

I'm not entirely sure but doesn't live 9 have a similar feature already implemented? Either way this seems like a neat app especially for users of other daws.

Yes it does (mono,poly,drums), I used samples of classical music to make drum patterns a while ago.

Edit. Not realtime as mentioned before.
http://jamorigin.com/ their midi guitar works better than the hardware that I've had over the years, worth checking out also.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 22, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

THEY'RE HERE!!!
Happy jamz.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

renderful posted:

Do you guys revisit/revive old projects? Do you ever find hidden treasures that then translate into new things? This is one of the things I really appreciate computers for.

Me too, if I have a song that isn't working I'll do a reworking/remix later. Most recently there was a song that sucked in Cubase. I Cut it to clips by instrument or group and threw them in Live. I got most of the new arrangment done in one pass and then added new stuff and turd polishing. I also record jams with Reaktor/Renoise/ipad etc to sample.

I was going to get my old tracker files (about 400) from my 486's harddrive and sample stuff but my brother had thrown it away ;(

I also got drunk and bought Lemur, seems much nicer than touchosc.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

BKPR posted:

I will be getting a family member's cast off iPad 2 soon. What are the recommendations for good synth/sequencing apps?

Korg gadget/iElectribe,waldorf nave, alchemy mobile pro (if you have the desktop version too), lemur, voice synth (vocals), touchable 2 (if you use Live), tabletop

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ynohtna posted:

Definitely look into how to "stem" your tunes out of Reason. Mixing down pure audio stems is a boost as it means one has to focus solely on sculpting, positioning and gelling each part. Stops one reworking the skeleton, flesh and fashion of the track during the hair and makeup part of the process.

Currently I just put a Satson on every channel for gainstaging and do a rough mix and upload the stems to my vocalist who does the final mix and mastering. I have an older project where I tried to mix it while composing and it is a loving mess, definetly gonna strip out a few million EQs and mix from stems if I'm gonna resurrect it someday.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I've yet to find a place/tutorial/writeup that can teach me anything about writing songs :(

Here you go: http://freshonthenet.co.uk/the-manual-by-the-klf/

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Had an CS-30 death tonite. Went to a dudes place with my band mate to record some scifi noises for some project. We plugged a bunch of stuff in and a few hours later the synth just dies, there was some scent of burning electronics at some points before. And we recorded none of it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

TOTALLY UNRELATED EDIT: Anyone here doing MIDI guitar? I want to be able to use a real guitar to do 6-string poly MIDI input into a computer. There are nine zillion options ranging from a hundred bucks to like $4300, and I just do not know where to start. (I also need a guitar, and will likely bug Guitar Thread about that.)

I've had a few, a Roland GR-50/gk-2 and Yamaha G10/G10C and they were pretty much poo poo. Guitar isn't really suited for MIDI input in my opinion, or atleast if you play it like a guitar (creates a lot of junk data from slight bends/string noise, depending on the setup you can filter some of it out. Also notes retriggering and pitch warble if you have poor intonation). Ended up doing so much clean up that it took longer to do anything vs. keyboard or mouse.

I recently got this http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/ for ipad and it's actually much better than the hardware that I used to have. Try the demo and see how it feels.

Edit. I've heard that the Fishman Triple Play tracks like poo poo when not used with their own software, might want to look in to it before buying.

W424 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 30, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

Managed to track down a Roland MC80. Now I can truly purge myself of general purpose computers...

Not to be a dick but posts like this are mystifying. I mean doing the same thing but with a shittier computer and shittier editing/interface.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Basically, hardware sequencers work really well and present no obstructions to, or distractions from, sequencing.

Yeah probably shouldn't have posted that but I just found hardware (that I've used) to be pain in the rear end for making songs.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

In recent news, it looks like Waldorf is actually getting off their asses and getting a stable firmware released for the Blofeld.

And it only took them 7 years, must be a new record. It would be a glorious day if I'd kept mine (bought it on launch, sold after a few years of waiting for a usable OS)

W424
Oct 21, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Any big negatives on this thing?

My buddy had he's die after a few months of light use, Thomann did sent him another one so all is well. Nice filter, ok build quality for the price.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I'd love to hear about your methods! I'm currently gearing up for my first live shows and would love to have some visuals as well, if I have the time to make some (probably won't, but maybe for any future shows, then).

I handle our live visuals on some gigs (sometimes we have a pro do it).
I have Resolume on a Macbook and a MIDI controller (novaton remote zero, also mapped to handle vocal fx) mapped so that I have 3 layers of 8 clips in 3 decks and effect macros on the knobs, beat repeats, tap tempo etc. Really simple setup as I'm doing other stuff as well.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

Also my coworker brought me his old K1m, and is it ever digital sounding.

I have one too, it's also really easy to circuit bend. I used mine today on a song after a long time, it's pretty grim.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

Do you have schematics?

I can't imagine using it in its current state. The noise and sample rate aliasing are pretty nasty. The only cool thing about it is the pitch aliasing that happens during a fast pitch bend. Sounds like Nintendo, except there aren't any nice sounding pulse waves.

This is all you need:

Basically connect any of the IC legs to another but don't touch the ones marked -/+
Put switches/jacks etc between points

The basic waves are 1-40, squares being 33-37, theres no PWM if thats what you mean.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Found this in my useless poo poo pile, mapped it to resolume and added to the VJ rig. Tried really hard not to lol at the gig.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Please tell me there's video footage of you using this thing

There is, we had a dude with a home build steady cam and there was a documentary crew that I should get footage from. They'll get used soonish in some form, I'll make a point of having a shot of my Belkin Nostromo n52te™ with Nosromo® Array Programming Software powered by Razer™.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Holy poo poo, I just got a free laptop for VJing and stuff. My bro who trashed my old 486 with all my tracker files had one that he spilled some red wine into, i disconnected the keyboard (stuck keys) and plugged in an usb one. Runs resolume just fine, just installed ableton lol lol lol.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I just build a vj rig for basically nothing, the laptop I posted about earlier + some stuff I had lying around. The Akai had a broken fader that I finally took out/still transmits junk but on a different channel etc.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

vkeios posted:

Well seeing as iOS 8 is coming out soon with some neat poo poo that could be used real nicely with music apps, you probably don't want to get the 2 year old iPad.

It says it's an offline process so it should be just fine? Or are you implying that iOS8 will run like absolute poo poo, my ipad3 feels pretty sluggish under ios7.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Waldorf Wehrmacht

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I really really hate everyone who bids against me on eBay when I'm resigned to buying something. gently caress those people.

I got sniped with 3secs left last time I lost. gently caress that fucker.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

On a different note, anyone feeling like doing a writeup on cheap-as-dirt synths? I'm just curious what floats around at a low price point that most people ignore, like the ensoniq stuff.

FM/phase distortion stuff can be had for cheap if it's not dx100 or some other "legendary"model/hipsterbait, I just got a Korg 707 for less than the shipping was (too bad it arrived bricked). Much cooler than super simple mono analogs.

Edit. Not related but holy poo poo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141382496365 Neurosis' ASR-10 used on Trough Silver in Blood and Times of Grace, daammmnnnn.

W424 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 25, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Today I got refunded for the Korg 707, found a DX11 locally, picked it up and changed the memory battery.
I could do most of it with the DXi ipad app that cost like 90cents but now I got 4op fm.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Much as I love them, cz's are really not bargain synths.

The cz-1 (the best one) used to be cheaper than the 101, they still might be because not a hipster keytar/huge. I paid like half of what the 101's went for when I had one, used it also as a master keyboard.

"...It has a full 61-note 5-octave keyboard with velocity and aftertouch sensitivity. Otherwise it is essentially a CZ-3000 (which is essentially two CZ-1000s or CZ-101s). With the CZ-1 you get 8-stage envelopes, 2 oscillators per voice and a whole lot more with relatively easy programming. .."

W424 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 26, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ynohtna posted:

This.

Also this should be the answer to every question posed in that "how do I make electronic/club music" thread.

I've been following these quidelines:
"Brap.
To gather together, hook-up electronic instruments, get high and record. This term made familiar by Electronic music pioneers, Skinny Puppy.
"Cevin and I are going to brap in the basement.""

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Man, all that hash oil on the keys is really going to do a number on the resale value for that prophet 5

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a groovebox modified to be battery powered?

Nope, but if it's like 9v I'd guess it would be doable.
I've done the reverse on Monotron and some guitar pedals.

I could be wrong, but it depends how much current it draws. My korg 707 needs 6 c cells to run, it draws 700mA IRC. What I'm saying is the batteries might not fit in the case or would need to be housed independetly.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 27, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The MC- series et al

Someone on Muffs mentioned there'd probably be enough room in the RM1x to jam in RC batteries.

I didn't even think of RC batteries, it could be cool.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone into programming Lemur? I'd like to make a bunch of dropdown menus, each selection sending a simple sysex message and if possible an endless knob cabable of sending 2 different messages depending on rotation direction.

I'm making a "controller" for Mirage, the sysex is just simulating pushing front panel buttons (http://www.gweep.net/~shifty/music/miragesysex1.txt). I've done it before on Novation Zero SL, but I just can't seem to figure Lemur out as I haven't touched it in a while. I could just do a bunch of buttons but that would take ages and having different rotaries for +/- is retarded.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Downloaded Yamaha Mobile Sequencer a minute ago and already hate it

Actually I just don't want to learn a new software because I'm comfortable with NanoStudio and waah waah

I thought it could be sweet for external gear, the build in sounds are just gently caress no.

edit. seems like I have the app on my phone and I have done a horrible thing with it. Here's my contribution (poo poo mix, propably made with the phone speaker):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqygi8svpjusr7d/W424mastarbiece.mp3?dl=0

W424 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 28, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ynohtna posted:

That's totally doable and quite simple, but prepare to experience some pain during the implementation. Lemur's custom kinda-C programming language is pitifully slapdash and under-developed, and the Lemur editor totally gives no fucks for lubricating the coding process.

Yeah, sounds like fun times ahead. Multibuttons and such were really easy in touchosc/anything else.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Behold the Ghostation

Finally hooked up all the lofi stuff in a usable way. The Mirage isn't mine but on a permanent loan due the dude not having room for it. The Novation is for controlling Mirage. Kawai I've had for ages and have circuit bend. DX11 I got last week. Not pictured is a Zoom 1201 for FX/vocoding.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The only thing I wanted from suite. Gonna buy it when it's on sale the next time.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

I should probably stop buying cheap poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's poo poo. It's not analog emulation though, it's all analogue but it's analogue poo poo.

Gaia is sampled waveforms, nothing analog about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

a_big_dog posted:

Go on, then; what would be a good, cheap gateway synth?

Waldorf microQ, Blofeld.

Can do (apart from standard VA) FM,wavetables,mod matrix with functions/modifiers, multitimbral, Blofeld can use samples.

W424 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 3, 2014